RATINGS: 1653   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.06/5   SEASONAL: Series   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
“the ancients called it ‘food for the gods’“ The Popol Vuh, the sacred book of the Maya, unfolds a complex web of mystery around a beverage known as xocoatl (ch-co-atle). At Southern Tier, we’re not surprised that hieroglyphs of the ancient Maya depict chocolate being poured for rulers and gods. Even through the many voyages of Columbus, the mystical bean remained nothing more than a strange currency of the native peoples. Moving through centuries, the circular journey of cacao has been realized in our brewing house, encompassing the complexity of the darkest, bitter-sweet candy together with the original frothy cold beverage of the ancient Maya to bring to you our Blackwater Series Choklat Stout. We have combined the finest ingredients to tempt your senses & renew the power & interrelation of history in every bottle.
2013 vintage - 10% abv

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Naven (1000) - Poway, California, USA - OCT 19, 2008
Bottle, from Jimbo. Deep dark rich color. Smelled like chocolate, tasted like chocolate. Go figure. Pretty decent, although it didn’t really blow me away. But, i’m not exactly a Chocolate fan either. I will say that they did a damn good job of hiding the alcohol.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Bartzilla (621) - La Mesa, California, USA - OCT 11, 2008
Thanks, WeeHeavySD. This tasted like beer made out of CoCo Puffs. No, not the illicit kind, but the cereal. Or maybe one of those after dinner coffee liquer chocolate drinks. Either way, pretty tasty and all kinds of strong. Pretty fubar’d when I tried it, but this sticks out.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
KornDogg (570) - Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 5, 2008
Made a special trip out to Southern Tier when this was released.... lived up to my expectations by far... Great aroma and very flavorful

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
EithCubes (5634) - New Jersey, USA - OCT 3, 2008
Rating number 1818! Enjoyed during last night’s Biden-Palin debate, the first time in a while that I’ve split a bomber (and it’s usually necessary for ST). Pitch pour with a creamy, forkable head. Overly sweet, boozy nose with surprisingly minimal chocolate coming through. Taste is mocha-drenched with some Swiss Miss and faint dark chocolate. Thankfully free of the fume-expelling, hangover-inducing booziness found in these Blackwater releases; this was mild in comparison to that vanilla mess they put out recently. Medium, sticky feel. Surprisingly mild and contemplative, at least over the nine or ten ounces I had. Thumbs up!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
ChazMania (668) - Oceanside, California, USA - SEP 23, 2008
UPDATED: SEP 24, 2008 Bomber. Holy schnikes....this is a liquid tootsie roll. The pour is thick, dark and oil like. The aroma and flavor is Tootsie Roll. This is a very very sweet chocolate flavored tootsie roll in a glass. I don’t know if I can drink the whole bomber, my wife might need to help me. It’s very "dessert" like in its sweetness. Updated- we could not finish the bomber. It was far too sweet. This is probably better served over vanilla ice cream than drank from a glass.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
sebletitje (9348) - Enghien, BELGIUM - SEP 20, 2008
Courtesy of Tpa975. Pours pitch black, with coffeish/brown head. Aroma is filled with nice / rich dark chocolat. Taste is of chocolat as well, with some light hop bitterness. Leaves a little floral afteraste and some sweet notes (possibly banana and vanilla). This is simply an amazing beer. They have achieved putting the taste of "good" chocolat in a beer white keeping the latter very drinkable.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
mcox90 (1931) - Wilton, New Hampshire, USA - SEP 15, 2008
22 oz bottle courtesy of goldtwins. Beautiful black pour with a nice brown head. The nose is a wonderful chocolate aroma that takes me back to being 7 or 8 years old with my mother baking homemade chocolate chip cookies. The flavor is, as you might imagine, mostly chocolate with some roasted malt. Nice creamy, silky palate. Finishes dry and ever so slightly bitter.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
ucusty (2691) - raleigh, North Carolina, USA - SEP 7, 2008
Carolina Crew tasting! Bottle courtesy of Todd! Thanks! stout lives up to its name. Fudge brownies on the nose. Chocolate milk and roast for flavors. Nice creamy finish

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Rastacouere (6174) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - AUG 27, 2008
Objectively speaking: Very efficient liquid chocolate dose for the junkies.
I like: Unadulterated chocolate glory from the beginning to finish. No false advertising and spot on in that regards. In a ways, this is to chocolate imperial stouts what New Glarus Raspberry tart is to fruit beers: not very complex, but highly satisfying and spot on. It even manages to be relatively drinkable for its mammoth size.
I dislike: Ultimately, if I’m drinking an 11% beer, complexity is important to me. I mostly enjoy focus when I was a refreshing ale. I do enjoy it for what it is, but do not find it as attractive as the chocolate bar it replaces.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
waolsen (1375) - Littleton, Colorado, USA - AUG 25, 2008
bottle. maple pour with thin tan head. OMG chocolate, roasted aroma. rich thick chocolate. nice dessert beer. alcohol well hidden. crazy rich chocolate. not much else to say.