overall

RATINGS: 1519   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.05   SEASONAL: Series   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
ďthe ancients called it Ďfood for the godsíď The Popol Vuh, the sacred book of the Maya, unfolds a complex web of mystery around a beverage known as xocoatl (ch-co-atle). At Southern Tier, weíre not surprised that hieroglyphs of the ancient Maya depict chocolate being poured for rulers and gods. Even through the many voyages of Columbus, the mystical bean remained nothing more than a strange currency of the native peoples. Moving through centuries, the circular journey of cacao has been realized in our brewing house, encompassing the complexity of the darkest, bitter-sweet candy together with the original frothy cold beverage of the ancient Maya to bring to you our Blackwater Series Choklat Stout. We have combined the finest ingredients to tempt your senses & renew the power & interrelation of history in every bottle.
2013 vintage - 10% abv

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 5/20
omhper (19376) - TyresŲ, SWEDEN - FEB 27, 2008
UPDATED: FEB 23, 2012 Bottled at Oliver Twist, Stockholm. Almost black, no head. Powerful chocolate sauce aroma with a touch of vanilla. Very sweet and extremely syrupy with hard metallic, yet sticky mouthfeel. Flavour is chocolate sauce, chocolate sauce and chocolate sauce. Itís near full bodied, but with the most simplistic body you can imagine. Finishes with more chocolate sauce. Iíve tasted beers before that I could imagine would go well with vanilla ice-cream, but this is the first that requires it. Probably the most one-dimensional 11% beer ever made. Oh well, Souther Tier is constantly putting out this type of gimmicky underwhelming big beers. To me they are the most overrated brewer on Ratebeer, and this is their most overrated beer. A nip of this would be fine - itíd be like a cheap, sticky chocolate brandy. A bomber is way out - something Iíd never dream of finishing.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
YourDarkLord (1800) - Urbana, Illinois, USA - FEB 26, 2008
What a treat. this poured out black and rich with a small tan head. The aroma reminded me of when I make double chocolate biscotti, very rich in the chocolate with some notes of anise and coffee evident. The flavor is comparable to said biscotti: rich, full, chocolaty and pleasurable. Excellent. Sampled on a night of beer and chocolate but this one contained both in one shot.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
WeeHeavySD (3360) - San Diego (Hillcrest), Oregon, USA - FEB 26, 2008
UPDATED: DEC 22, 2008 On tap its just as stellar! Bonus Bomber from Phhd, shared with my Girlfriend Cyn, Iíve been pretty excited about this beer since I first found out about it. And this is pretty much my last big beer from Southern Tier I havenít had. Pours Black with a ring of light brown/tan. The nose is the most amazing chocolate nose I could pretty much imagine its intense. The taste is rich and extremely chocolately. I wonít say tis complex but this is really freaking good, its the most chocolately beer Iíve ever had and its an imperail stout to boot. Holy crap this is damn good.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
StFun (567) - Indiana, USA - FEB 24, 2008
UPDATED: MAR 13, 2008 "What every chocolate beer should taste like" according to my GF. GMCC hooked me up HUGE here, sending me his personal bottle so that I could give this one to my girl for Valentines Day. Paid off huge. This beers smells exactly like tootsie rolls. Gives way to a GIGANTIC HEAD, that tastes like Nestle Quick, and looks just like a chocolate milkshake (no joke). Thick, thick lacing that takes forever to go down. Just a thick brew all the way around! Flavor is very creamy, and is thick on the palate. Slight slight coffee, but this beer tastes like a Tootsie Roll Milkshake. I challenge anyone to find a tootsie roll milkshake, then tell me it doesnít taste exactly like this beer! Very delicious and very yummy. Too much chocolate for my personal taste, but this is my girlís new # 1 brew, and one that I would drink GLADLY every couple of months! Thanks again to GMCC!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
NachlamSie (2765) - Denver, Colorado, USA - FEB 24, 2008
UPDATED: JUL 7, 2010 Bomber, big thanks to Tronraner. Pours rather black with very dense lacing. In the light, I can see a definite ruby layer near the top. Aroma = chocolate. Flavor = chocolate. This is ridiculous. Iím not sure how to score something like this. On the one hand, this is basically a dark chocolate bar melted down, so it is rather one dimensional and Iím not chocolateís number one fan. On the other hand, it is a fairly appealing flavor and it is a commendable feat in brewing. The only thing I can really feel comfortable saying about this drink is that it is by far the most chocolaty beer Iíve ever had.
[Feb 25, 2008]
I just wanted to add the following: I drank a glass of Southern Tier Choklat. I then drank at least three more beers. Then I ate dinner and brushed my teeth afterwards. I awoke this morning and still tasted chocolate on my breath.

tronraner (2459) - Walland, Tennessee, USA - FEB 24, 2008
Bomber, thanks to beastiefan2k. Split with NachlamSie. Pours an orangeish black, with small tan head. The aroma is, well, straight up chocolate. There is a slight hint of alcohol in there, but itís pretty much sweet chocolate all the way. The flavor is much the same way. Straight up chocolate bar right off the bat. There are a few hints in there that remind me of beer... just a touch of espresso, some alcohol, some malty sugar. But pretty much chocolate all around. Ok. I would typically criticize something that completely drowns out the beer elements with additives. But the label is a picture of a giant chocolate bar. This is clearly what they are going for, and honestly, itís way more drinkable than I thought it would be. The alcohol is very well masked, and the chocolate flavor is pure. I have to give this a huge score, because as far as a chocolate imperial stout goes, this is well done indeed.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
imadeadguy (378) - back in NJ!, New Jersey, USA - FEB 23, 2008
Poured jet black with little to no head. Chocolate to the nose. Thick/viscus and finishes wonderful. Chocolate and a crem brule taste. Loved this one!

MadIndian (2380) - Levittown, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 22, 2008
Bottle. Bark brownish/black pour with generous tan head. Chocolatey/ ropast/ hoppy aroma. Full body malty smokey, chocolately deliciouisness in a bottle. I loved it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
kevin62 (267) - New Jersey, USA - FEB 22, 2008
This 22oz bottle poured out black with a small tan head.Woooooo.... that is some aroma of chocolate and mocha.It tastes of chocolate...duh.. and more chocolate,Shared the bottle,but it would definetly be hard to finish by oneself.It is good stuff and worth a try.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Jmichael (640) - Asheville, North Carolina, USA - FEB 22, 2008
pours a black with light caramel head. sweet tootsie roll mocha aroma. dry front with milky palate and very similiar to a tootsie roll with a slight bitter finish. dark chocolate presence and refinement, not sugary sweet but naturally sweet.