overall

RATINGS: 1516   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.05   SEASONAL: Series   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
“the ancients called it ‘food for the gods’“ The Popol Vuh, the sacred book of the Maya, unfolds a complex web of mystery around a beverage known as xocoatl (ch-co-atle). At Southern Tier, we’re not surprised that hieroglyphs of the ancient Maya depict chocolate being poured for rulers and gods. Even through the many voyages of Columbus, the mystical bean remained nothing more than a strange currency of the native peoples. Moving through centuries, the circular journey of cacao has been realized in our brewing house, encompassing the complexity of the darkest, bitter-sweet candy together with the original frothy cold beverage of the ancient Maya to bring to you our Blackwater Series Choklat Stout. We have combined the finest ingredients to tempt your senses & renew the power & interrelation of history in every bottle.
2013 vintage - 10% abv

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
StFun (567) - Indiana, USA - FEB 24, 2008
UPDATED: MAR 13, 2008 "What every chocolate beer should taste like" according to my GF. GMCC hooked me up HUGE here, sending me his personal bottle so that I could give this one to my girl for Valentines Day. Paid off huge. This beers smells exactly like tootsie rolls. Gives way to a GIGANTIC HEAD, that tastes like Nestle Quick, and looks just like a chocolate milkshake (no joke). Thick, thick lacing that takes forever to go down. Just a thick brew all the way around! Flavor is very creamy, and is thick on the palate. Slight slight coffee, but this beer tastes like a Tootsie Roll Milkshake. I challenge anyone to find a tootsie roll milkshake, then tell me it doesn’t taste exactly like this beer! Very delicious and very yummy. Too much chocolate for my personal taste, but this is my girl’s new # 1 brew, and one that I would drink GLADLY every couple of months! Thanks again to GMCC!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
NachlamSie (2723) - Denver, Colorado, USA - FEB 24, 2008
UPDATED: JUL 7, 2010 Bomber, big thanks to Tronraner. Pours rather black with very dense lacing. In the light, I can see a definite ruby layer near the top. Aroma = chocolate. Flavor = chocolate. This is ridiculous. I’m not sure how to score something like this. On the one hand, this is basically a dark chocolate bar melted down, so it is rather one dimensional and I’m not chocolate’s number one fan. On the other hand, it is a fairly appealing flavor and it is a commendable feat in brewing. The only thing I can really feel comfortable saying about this drink is that it is by far the most chocolaty beer I’ve ever had.
[Feb 25, 2008]
I just wanted to add the following: I drank a glass of Southern Tier Choklat. I then drank at least three more beers. Then I ate dinner and brushed my teeth afterwards. I awoke this morning and still tasted chocolate on my breath.

tronraner (2459) - Walland, Tennessee, USA - FEB 24, 2008
Bomber, thanks to beastiefan2k. Split with NachlamSie. Pours an orangeish black, with small tan head. The aroma is, well, straight up chocolate. There is a slight hint of alcohol in there, but it’s pretty much sweet chocolate all the way. The flavor is much the same way. Straight up chocolate bar right off the bat. There are a few hints in there that remind me of beer... just a touch of espresso, some alcohol, some malty sugar. But pretty much chocolate all around. Ok. I would typically criticize something that completely drowns out the beer elements with additives. But the label is a picture of a giant chocolate bar. This is clearly what they are going for, and honestly, it’s way more drinkable than I thought it would be. The alcohol is very well masked, and the chocolate flavor is pure. I have to give this a huge score, because as far as a chocolate imperial stout goes, this is well done indeed.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
imadeadguy (378) - back in NJ!, New Jersey, USA - FEB 23, 2008
Poured jet black with little to no head. Chocolate to the nose. Thick/viscus and finishes wonderful. Chocolate and a crem brule taste. Loved this one!

MadIndian (2342) - Levittown, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 22, 2008
Bottle. Bark brownish/black pour with generous tan head. Chocolatey/ ropast/ hoppy aroma. Full body malty smokey, chocolately deliciouisness in a bottle. I loved it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
kevin62 (267) - New Jersey, USA - FEB 22, 2008
This 22oz bottle poured out black with a small tan head.Woooooo.... that is some aroma of chocolate and mocha.It tastes of chocolate...duh.. and more chocolate,Shared the bottle,but it would definetly be hard to finish by oneself.It is good stuff and worth a try.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Jmichael (640) - Asheville, North Carolina, USA - FEB 22, 2008
pours a black with light caramel head. sweet tootsie roll mocha aroma. dry front with milky palate and very similiar to a tootsie roll with a slight bitter finish. dark chocolate presence and refinement, not sugary sweet but naturally sweet.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jzzbassman (1467) - New Albany, Mississippi, USA - FEB 21, 2008
Wow, if there is a more choclatey beer out there I would be surprised. Huge chocolate aroma and flavor, unbalanced because it is all chocolate, but I love that. Well hidden 11% too. Bonus points for the chocolate tasting like real quality chocolate not the chemical cocoa puffs flavor I get in so many chocolate stouts.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
kennydiaz (352) - Manahawkin, New Mexico, USA - FEB 21, 2008
UPDATED: JAN 20, 2012 I just recently had this again but in a growler from holiday beverage. Poured nice and dark. I paired it with Costco brownies. They tasted almost identical. I don’t know how you can go wrong with this one. It is a dessert and a beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
pepsican (1438) - @ $13.99, Iowa, USA - FEB 20, 2008
Pours black with a thin tan head. Chocolate stunk up my whole room when I opened it, girlfriend could smell it 10 foot away. Flavor is dominated by chocolates. Cocoa powder, dark chocolate, chocolate syrup, all of it. You can taste a bit of malt and alcohol as well. Chocolate stays huge in the finish. Alcohol is noticed but it’s nice to have something distract from the flavor. Very interesting and one dimensional. A full bomber of this was a chore, but a delicious one.