overall

RATINGS: 1518   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.05   SEASONAL: Series   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
“the ancients called it ‘food for the gods’“ The Popol Vuh, the sacred book of the Maya, unfolds a complex web of mystery around a beverage known as xocoatl (ch-co-atle). At Southern Tier, we’re not surprised that hieroglyphs of the ancient Maya depict chocolate being poured for rulers and gods. Even through the many voyages of Columbus, the mystical bean remained nothing more than a strange currency of the native peoples. Moving through centuries, the circular journey of cacao has been realized in our brewing house, encompassing the complexity of the darkest, bitter-sweet candy together with the original frothy cold beverage of the ancient Maya to bring to you our Blackwater Series Choklat Stout. We have combined the finest ingredients to tempt your senses & renew the power & interrelation of history in every bottle.
2013 vintage - 10% abv

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
mgumby10 (1856) - Jupiter, Florida, USA - JAN 7, 2008
Courtesy hopscotch. Thanks Eric! First off, I’m a huge chocolate lover, so I was highly anticipating this beer. It did not disappoint. Pours jet black with a small, swirly, off white head. Probably the most chocolate aroma Ive ever smelled in a beer. Kind of like you filled a bowl up with Hershey’s chocolate syrup and stuck your head in it. Got just a touch of some coffee in there too. The flavor was pretty heavy and rich chocolate as well. Very heavy on the syrupy malts, which coated the palate fully in chocolate goodness. Almost like a dessert beer for me, this would go great over some cheesecake. If you like chocolate this is the beer for you as it probably is the most chocolatey beer, in aroma and flavor, that Ive ever had. Just awesome!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
MrBendo (1064) - Swedesboro, New Jersey, USA - JAN 6, 2008
UPDATED: SEP 9, 2009 Bomber. Pours dark brown with a small head. Aroma of pure chocolate; the biggest, most natural chocolate I have tasted in a beer. Mostly dark chocolate and sweety sweet.
Very heavy and rich, I suddenly realized that one glass is all I want in an evening. You probably shouldn’t tackle a whole bomber without some friends around to help out.
Very tasty; rich and decadent, but possibly a bit too decadent to be called a ’beer’? Chocolate was pretty much all I could taste.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
aracauna (3055) - Georgia, USA - JAN 6, 2008
Pours a very dark brown with a moderate, creamy head. The appearance is really nothing special for a stout this big. What really is special is the aroma. I have never smelled this much chocolate in a beer. I’m not sure I’ve smelled this much chocolate in most hot chocolate. Wow. The malts and spiciness of the alcohol make something like gingerbread underneath, but you’ve really got to be looking for something else to find anything but chocolate. The flavor is a little bit of a letdown. That’s not to say it’s bad, just that it’s not up to the standard set by that aroma. The flavor is malt, but not so much for an imperial stout. The finish is a little bitter in a thin, unbalanced way and the heat of the alcohol comes through in the finish as well. This is also on the thinner end of the style, but not thin compared to other beer styles. Still an excellent beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
shadey (1887) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - JAN 6, 2008
22oz bottle. I’m really amped to try this because of the ratings I’m reading. I decided to share the bottle with my buddy who has already dived in and loves it. The pour is a dark dark brown. I initially thought it was black, but upon further inspection, its just not shiny enough to be black, there is a definite dark chocolate tint. The head is pretty nonexistent - just a thin line of mocha cream. The aroma is the really seductive part. Incredible dark chocolate and rich rich creamy notes - like a tootsie roll. Calling it tootsie roll is just not fair, it smells really good. The flavor is equally inspiring. Super rich dark chocolate

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
3fourths (7978) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - JAN 6, 2008
UPDATED: OCT 10, 2013 Extremely dark brown body with a small light brown or tan head. Instant decadence in the nose, with a straight shot of rich chocolate and a light dusting of sugar… probably one of the purest chocolate aromas I’ve ever experienced, with notes of fudge and chewy nougat. Reminded me of snacking on good chocolate eats in Belgium. It’s a sweet stout for sure, but nowhere near overly sweet or overdone. The subtle bitterness of the chocolate, the richness and depth of the chocolate, could make this one of the best dessert beers I’ve ever had. Truly an amazing drink, the best dessert beer I’ve ever had, a perfect hybrid of a chocolate stout and a chocolate liqueur.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
gwpom (295) - Akron, New York, USA - JAN 6, 2008
Not just chocolate, but deep dark chocolate. The aroma assaults the nose from the first sniff and deepens as it warms. Hefty ABV, this is a great example of a chocolate stout. Right up there with Brooklyn’s.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
TampaBeer (255) - Tampa, Florida, USA - JAN 6, 2008
Draft. What a treat! On first inspection, it was difficult not to give the beer perfect ratings across the board. Aroma of rich chocolate milk. This is thick and delicious - a good desert beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
dpjuart (1049) - Indiana, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 5, 2008
Bomber split with Naka. Pours oily back w/ thin head rimming the goblet, brown. Nos is cocoa and wet roasted barley. Taste is roasted barley and chocolate w/ alcohol and hop bitterness which blends well w/ the bitter chocolate. Some dar fruit notes, plum and raisin, some tannin-esque notes. This is a tasty brew. Could be one of my new favorites

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Naka (705) - Indiana, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 5, 2008
Pours like dirty oil with no head for all intents and purposes. Nose of chocolate, dark roasted coffee, molasses, and alcohol. Tastes of very rich dark chocolate, caramel malt, alcohol, and finishes with a roasted nuttiness that is almost like peanut butter. There is a strange, yet delicious fruitiness to it that is almost like pears or plums. It has a thick oily body with a bit of a carbonic bite to it and a dry finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Sammy (8566) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JAN 5, 2008
I know everybody loved this. I thought it was a very decent stout and I can see the bittersweet quality chocolate as being attractive. Some chocolate came through the stout aroma. It was black with a bit of creaminess. Mouthfeel was medium. I found this stout to be astringent and even burning my stomach. Maybe another day, but I will be reluctant.