overall

RATINGS: 1519   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.05   SEASONAL: Series   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
“the ancients called it ‘food for the gods’“ The Popol Vuh, the sacred book of the Maya, unfolds a complex web of mystery around a beverage known as xocoatl (ch-co-atle). At Southern Tier, we’re not surprised that hieroglyphs of the ancient Maya depict chocolate being poured for rulers and gods. Even through the many voyages of Columbus, the mystical bean remained nothing more than a strange currency of the native peoples. Moving through centuries, the circular journey of cacao has been realized in our brewing house, encompassing the complexity of the darkest, bitter-sweet candy together with the original frothy cold beverage of the ancient Maya to bring to you our Blackwater Series Choklat Stout. We have combined the finest ingredients to tempt your senses & renew the power & interrelation of history in every bottle.
2013 vintage - 10% abv

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
sliffy (2040) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - DEC 31, 2007
Bottle shared by nolankowal: Pours black with a coffee ice cream colored tan head. Aroma, chocolate, sweet, smells like nesquick. Flavor, chocolate milk, very sweet and rich, has a dry milky finish. MORE OVALTINE PLEASE!!!!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
railcat1 (687) - Hammond, Indiana, USA - DEC 30, 2007
I love my IPS and this was a tasty and chocolaty sount with small head but nice and smooth and creamyCHEERS!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Gorbalev (2924) - Ontario, CANADA - DEC 30, 2007
Bottle courtesy of Hogtown Harry. Rating 2000. Ok, this one works for #2000 for a number of reasons. 1, Chocolate stouts are my wife’s favorite style of beer (it is a style according to her :) ) and I was really happy to share 2000 with her, as she puts up with a lot of stuff because of this beer "hobby" of mine, for which I am grateful. 2) It is from one of my great beer buddy’s collections, in this case Harry, as so many of my ratings are - I just have not been able to get out and acquire a lot of beer this past year (for a very good reason - my one-year old son takes up a lot of my time and more of my money :) ) - but that has not stopped my core group of not just beer pals, but friends from sharing all of their trades and travel acquisitions with me - thank you so much guys (specifically Jerc, Blankboy, Hogtown Harry, and GregClow - plus all the other awesome raters in Ontario and elsewhere I have been fortunate enough to share a beer with)!!! and 3) Southern Tier is easily my brewery of the year, so a new beer from them fits the bill. Here goes. Pitch black, good sized thick and creamy chocolate head - looks great. Aroma is tons of really appealing rich baker’s chocolate - again, I loved it. Taste - very good! Lots of chocolate, but not the wallop other ratings have lead me to believe! Baker’s chocolate and some alcohol up front, a pretty quiet middle featuring mostly a very nice and balanced malt profile, and a finish with more rich chocolate kick, plus more alcohol and some hops that linger deliciously. Body is on the medium side, not overwhelmingly thick and syrupy as the appearance might suggest. Wow, this might be a lot more approachable that their Oat or Java - this is simply delicious! I really really liked it. Cheers to ratebeer for letting me get to 2000 and providing me a place to enter this stuff and learn so much as well. Onward...

surffisher (198) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - DEC 30, 2007
Sampled from fresh growler. Pours black with ruby highlights and a nice stand of creamy tan head which leaves spotty lacing. Aroma is pure bittersweet chocolate and licorice. Flavor is dominated by cocoa from start to a smooth, hoppy, dry finish. Full, smooth, creamy texture; somewhat chalky. Warming, with boozy finish, especially when it warms. Kind of one dimensional, but it is a great dimension. Perfect dessert beer and makes a superb vanilla ice cream float.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Drink4Satan (676) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - DEC 30, 2007
Pours a ruby-hued black with a thin, mostly lasting light brown head that leaves minimal lacing. The aroma is authentically chocolate, with some booze and a whisper hop sting. The chocolate aroma is intoxicating and gives the impression of very sweet cocoa, similar to what chould be found in bittersweet hot chocolate. The flavour...insanely chocolatey, with a large amount of bitter, acidic hops in the finish, but it’s all chocolate up front. It’s almost too much, and I’m usually reluctant to say that there can be too much of a good thing. The palate is lacking a bit, as it leaves the mouth feeling chalky after it is gone. The carbonation is a little harsh. The alcohol is only detectable by a warming of the throat and chest, being almost completely absent in the flavour. Delicious!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
nhorween (645) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 30, 2007
Bottle. Super dark pour. I’m going to say what everyone said, it’s really, really chocolatey... Cocoa, hazelnut, alcohol. Totally no balance, but I still love it. Flavor is again tons of chocolate, but the astringent finish really works here. Hops are apparent also. I drank mine a little on the warm side, so the alcohol is really in the back of my throat, but I don’t it one bit. Nothing subtle about this one, but I don’t care.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 18/20
emerica56 (600) - Bristol, Rhode Island, USA - DEC 30, 2007
There is not much to say about this beer other than the fact that it is like taking a hersey bar melting it adding hops letting it ferment and turning it inot a beer. The aroma is so rich and chocolaty, it is almost unreal how awesome it smells. Again as you sip on it there is a strong chocolate flavor that coats your mouth and i personally like the bitter and drying effect it has on the after taste. The beer is a great all around and an awesome desert beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
BBB63 (6045) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - DEC 30, 2007
Bottle and shared with Tom: Nearly opaque with reddish highlights, fading head and clinging lace. WOW big chocolate truffle nose with some alcohol. Grassy and herbal notes as well with some leather too. The taste is rich bittersweet chocolate with undertones of mint, herbs, pepper, rum balls, charred malt (but not smoke) and a bit of warming alcohol. The mouth feel is very lush and chewy, heavy-bodied. This is a big one dimensional beer which I liked on some levels but is over-the-top overall.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Cryotek (206) - Pawtucket, Rhode Island, USA - DEC 29, 2007
UPDATED: JAN 12, 2008 Black with tan head, nice color. EXTREME CHOC flavor! At first i just smelled it, and it was so chocolately i had to look at the bottle just to make sure it was a beer, tastes that way to! More of a coco powder taste than syrup or extract. Sweet throughout the taste. I actually had this while tasting chocolates and they went great together. Definitely recommend if you like very sweet stouts. Even chocolateir than Rogue’s (which i love) Will try again in the future, wow!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Cobra (1100) - Banned City, - DEC 29, 2007
UPDATED: JUN 6, 2008 22 oz. brown bomber bottle. No freshness date seen. Poured out a deep dark brown, with red highlights at the bottom of the glass. Aromas are of cacao beans, roasted coffee, dark dried fruits. Flavors are like mribm described it. It tastes like a chocolate ice cream soda. Lively carbonation, big, tan, sticky head. Left a decent lacing down the sides of the glass. Flavors include Lindt Dark Chocolate Truffles, sweet chocolates, Devil’s food cake. Thick mouthfeel, almost chewy. Amazing flavors throughout this beer. Finished sweet, but not cloying. Alcohol is very well hidden. A tremendous beer from Southern Tier. Really amazing overall. I need to hoard some more of these gems.