overall

RATINGS: 1554   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.05   SEASONAL: Series   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
“the ancients called it ‘food for the gods’“ The Popol Vuh, the sacred book of the Maya, unfolds a complex web of mystery around a beverage known as xocoatl (ch-co-atle). At Southern Tier, we’re not surprised that hieroglyphs of the ancient Maya depict chocolate being poured for rulers and gods. Even through the many voyages of Columbus, the mystical bean remained nothing more than a strange currency of the native peoples. Moving through centuries, the circular journey of cacao has been realized in our brewing house, encompassing the complexity of the darkest, bitter-sweet candy together with the original frothy cold beverage of the ancient Maya to bring to you our Blackwater Series Choklat Stout. We have combined the finest ingredients to tempt your senses & renew the power & interrelation of history in every bottle.
2013 vintage - 10% abv

beerbill (3531) - Laurel, New York, USA - JAN 4, 2008
22 oz. bottle. Pours a very dark opaque brown with a moderate milk chocolate head that lasted through about two-thirds of the glass. Very pleasant aroma of dark chocolate with a little bit of coffee as well. The flavor is bittersweet chocolate up front with more of a mocha flavor at the finish. There is a bitter finish that is not from hops, more like coffee bitterness, that extends beyond the swallow and lingers a bit. Not quite as dense or full bodied as I would expect in an impy stout. The alcohol was extremely well hidden. An excellent dessert beer, as long as you like chocolate!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
southamptonsam (116) - New York, USA - JAN 3, 2008
I am new to Southern Tier and they continue to please and surprise. This beer is worth it for the nose alone, a rich waft of pure chocolate. Other beers call themselves Chocolate Stouts but this one means it. It delivers in a strong, balanced, non-cloying way. I want more.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
johnadam2002 (529) - Hainesport, New Jersey, USA - JAN 3, 2008
This has potential of being great. Poured black with a creamy tan head. Big aroma of dark chocolate. Big thick dark chocolate flavor with some heat in the finish. Should be great with some age on it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
jason (1682) - Easton, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 2, 2008
Bottle. I have to say I was very immpressed with the aroma. Pure chocolate hit my nose when I pryed off the cap. On further analysis from numerous sniffs frommy favorite snifter it was poured in, I could also detect some roast and the childhood pleasures of walking in to a candy store. Milk chocolate is dominant in the many sips that were taken, light sugary sweetness reminded me of a chocolate shake. There is no denying that this beer is made, breathes and is all that is chocolate. At first I thought this would be too much sweetness for me to drink by myself but the roast qualities came through and this honestly had many qualities that reminded me of Dark Lord. A well done brew.

pnista (1007) - Bloomington, Indiana, USA - JAN 2, 2008
Pours a dark dark bornw with a thin even tan head. Sweet chocolate. Tootsie roll pop! Chocolate, precisely. No real hop aromas or any off flavors. Just creamy, creamy, simple. Fully rich creamy mouth. Textbook! Really sweet! alcohol pops out a bit more, but not much. Big tootsie roll again. Really round. Really simple and clean. A bit of an alcoholic Tootsie roll finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
BleacherBum (177) - Blowing Rock, North Carolina, USA - JAN 2, 2008
22 oz. bomber from Sam’s in Chicago. Big Chocolate brownies/fudge in the aroma. Bakers chocolate all over the place. Flavor is more of the same with a hint of roastiness and dark fruit, barely noticeable under all that cocoa. A gooey and creamy mouthfeel with minimal carbonation. If you’re a chocolate lover, which I am, this is for you. I loved it, but realize it’s very one dimensional. Alcohol is very well hidden.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
ogglethorp (917) - Ohio, USA - JAN 2, 2008
Bottle. Pours inky black with a brown colored head. Aroma is hershey’s chocolate syrup, brown sugar, toffee. Flavor is huge chocolate, brown sugar, caramel. Palate is full bodied, light carbonation, finishes sweet. Great aroma, but the flavor seems to be somewhat artificial, imo. I think this one is too sweet for my liking. Just didn’t do it for me.

tcruicks (282) - Bloomington, Indiana, USA - JAN 2, 2008
Very chocolatey, its the primary aroma and flavor. I could eat chocolate anytime and similarly, I could drink this anytime.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
yjb (113) - Davis, California, USA - JAN 2, 2008
My first yahoo was pretty good ... this is like that, but a beer. Rich and coco.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
phiconners (149) - Massachusetts, USA - JAN 1, 2008
On tap at the Horseshoe Pub in Hudson ($5 for 20oz). Black appearance, nice head. Very nice malty flavor, sweetness of the chocolate comes through in the aftertaste. Very good.