overall

RATINGS: 1570   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.76   SEASONAL: Summer   EST. CALORIES: 288   ABV: 9.6%
“a stout of great contention” We are not the harbingers of truth as some may suggest but it may indeed be argued that our brewing philosophy is tantamount to a dessert with a bellicose past. How, you may ask, would a brewery determine a likeness to hard-coated custard? Our response is simple; it’s all in the power of history, and of course, the extra finesse needed to top off a contentious treat with definition.

By comprehending the labyrinthine movement of time, one would not think it strange to trace the errant path of an ordinary object such as a cream dessert only to discover that it has been the cause of cultural disputes since the middle ages. The British founders of burnt cream and from Spain, crema catalana, both stand by their creative originality and we respect that, but it was the French Crème Brûlée, amid the strife of contention, that survived to represent our deliciously creamy brew. 9.6% abv • 25º plato • 195º L • 22 oz / 1/6 keg 2-row pale malt / dark caramel malt / vanilla bean / lactose sugar / kettle hops: columbus / aroma hops: horizon

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
NJBeerman013 (1052) - Hamilton Twp., New Jersey, USA - AUG 27, 2009
22 oz bomber. Pours midnight black with a foamy cocoa head. The aroma is all creme brulee. Full body, flavor notes of caramel, butterscotch, background hops andding a dry, bitter component, roasted malts give it a fine espresso finish. Really enjoyable.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
gpekar (476) - Florida, USA - AUG 26, 2009
Poured an almost opaque mahogeny brown. There were nice dark red highlights around the edge of the glass as the light passed through. There was a tall foamy light brown head that left very good lacing. The aroma said creme brulee. Strong aroma of vanilla and butterscotch. The beer had a nice creamy texture and again a good creme brulee flavor of vanilla, butterscotch and toffee. The finish was slightly bitter with somewhat of a dark chocolate flavor. This was definitely dessert in a bottle

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
beerbuzzmontreal (3488) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - AUG 25, 2009
The pour reveals a black color with brown highlights and a thin brown head. Very very sweet aroma of Bailey’s, coconut, chocolate and vanilla. The flavor is sweet, sticky, cloying and oh yes, it’s sweet, there’s vanilla, chocolate, coconut and Bailey’s in there along some bitterness in the end. The body is light to medium with a liquorous texture and gentle carbonation. If Southern Tier wanted to make a super sweet desert liquor, I think it’s a success, but the sweetness is too much for my tastes.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
ben4321 (4649) - Hoboken, New Jersey, USA - AUG 25, 2009
Location: 22 oz bottle from Norm’s, 8/25/09

Aroma: Tons of vanilla/butterscotch, really does smell like creme brulee, yummy!
Appearance: Dark brown/black color, thin brown head, moderate lacing
Flavor: Very sweet (be warned), this one drinks like a liquid creme brulee mixed with malts, I found it quite good, but I have no doubt that others will not, malty and sugary
Palate: Absolutely 0 alcohol burn (this is really 10%?), medium-full bodied, smooth and creamy
Overall Impression: I don’t see how you could dislike the nose on this one (unless you don’t like creme brulee, and then why in the world did you buy this?). I would think that this beer would be really neat to cook with, I wonder if any restaurant is making a stout brownie or something using this? It is damn sweet, a true desert beer for sure, but damn tasty. I would love to drink this while chowing down on some of the famous Little Italy creme brulee. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. I really am a sucker for a good (but it better be good) gimmick beer, and I’m not going to apologize either, this is really good. It is weird for sure, but it really works for ye old taste buds.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
biznizness (1135) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - AUG 24, 2009
Tap at McGrath’s. No idea this was so strong. Smells just like the real thing. Sweet flavor up front with a nice bitterness behind it. Still, couldn’t drink too much of it because of the sweetness.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 13/20
Nejhleader (1325) - Lemoyne, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 24, 2009
very different. Has a sweet butterscotch aroma and taste. Good creamy body, appreciate what they were going for, but I thought this was a weird taste for a beer.

wilderthanyou (758) - Guelph, CANADA - AUG 23, 2009
Wow! Really did not expect to enjoy this beer as much as I did. Pours a motor oil black with a thin beige head. Aroma is huge, sweet, big on the caramel, and vanilla, lighter notes of black licorice. The flavour is also very very sweet, which normally I do not enjoy, but it works for this beer, huge vanilla and caramel flavour, with lighter notes of maple syrup, root beer, butterscotch, toffee, and raw sugar. The finish is a burnt roastiness bitter that helps even out the sweetness of the beer. Syrupy mouth feel. I really enjoyed this beer, but can easily understand why most will not, it is EXTREMELY SWEET.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
Sonicdescent (384) - Donora, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 22, 2009
Appearance is the weakest aspect, not much in the way of head and a near black pour with minimal lacing. Smell is exactly as advertised, heavy caramel, sweetness, sweetness, and sweetness. Taste is, according to my wife, Creme Brulee to a T. I have never had it, but what I can say is that this is an ultra sweet drink, with a cream taste, toffee, and caramel background. No hop or alcohol presence. Mouth is medium/big in feel and carbonation. Pretty easy to drink at first, gets much tougher because of how sweet it is.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
patrickfannon (1242) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 22, 2009
Okay, just to preface my review, this beer was one of my me and my friends’ favorite beers of the summer. We had it by bottle several times, and also found a Champps by us that had it on tap (which was awesome). The bottle, with cows on it suggesting milk, was offputting at first, but little did we know that it was protecting a hidden treasure. Pours deep brown, nearly black, with a creamy brown, thin head. The aroma is outrageous. It smells like creme brulee. Period. That taste is outrageous. it tastes like creme brulee turned into a fantastic stout. Period. Please do yourself a favor and buy a bottle or two. Good for fans of stouts and sweet beers alike.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 17/20
obguthr (4534) - Staunton, Virginia, USA - AUG 21, 2009
Strong aroma of vanilla, butterscotch, and caramel. Dark brown, thin off white head. It certainly tastes of creme brulee, but also has some more recognizable beery qualities. Delicious caramel malt and ash are present. The balance is decent to a point, but it takes a hard right toward overly bitter in the end, tasting of bark and black pepper I find this bitterness incompatable with the main premise. It also leaves the palate unpleasantly filmy. Great complexity and more than a novelty.