RATINGS: 1589   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.76/5   SEASONAL: Summer   EST. CALORIES: 288   ABV: 9.6%
“a stout of great contention” We are not the harbingers of truth as some may suggest but it may indeed be argued that our brewing philosophy is tantamount to a dessert with a bellicose past. How, you may ask, would a brewery determine a likeness to hard-coated custard? Our response is simple; it’s all in the power of history, and of course, the extra finesse needed to top off a contentious treat with definition.

By comprehending the labyrinthine movement of time, one would not think it strange to trace the errant path of an ordinary object such as a cream dessert only to discover that it has been the cause of cultural disputes since the middle ages. The British founders of burnt cream and from Spain, crema catalana, both stand by their creative originality and we respect that, but it was the French Crème Brûlée, amid the strife of contention, that survived to represent our deliciously creamy brew. 9.6% abv • 25º plato • 195º L • 22 oz / 1/6 keg 2-row pale malt / dark caramel malt / vanilla bean / lactose sugar / kettle hops: columbus / aroma hops: horizon

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
redtechnj (279) - Williamstown, New Jersey, USA - SEP 18, 2009
A deep dark beer with big vanilla and burnt suger flavors. Could be an overly sweet beer if that isn’t your thing. Very different from any other beer I’ve ever had. Almost like a keg dessert.

nerdrocker101 (102) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - SEP 17, 2009
Bottle. This is a very unique beer. Black pour with a tan, creamy head. Notes of vanilla, burnt sugar and chocolate malts. Smooth and creamy mouthfeel. Certainly full bodied. Take the time to enjoy this one, because there just aren’t a lot out there like this one.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
DukeBrewDevil (732) - Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA - SEP 17, 2009
Bomber. Deep, thick black beer with a big sturdy brown head. Smells amazing. Lots of vanilla, some coffee, and hints of chocolate. For the first few sips, I enjoyed the flavors that consist of dark chocolate, coffee with a lot of cream, and vanilla. The more I drank, though, the more glad I was that I’d split this bottle with 3 other people. The sweetness and vanilla completely dominate the palate, eventually wearing down my mouth. It’s an interesting beer and I can see why some people would love it, but everyone who split it with me agreed it was too overpoweringly sweet to buy again.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
slimweebs (163) - Los Angeles, California, USA - SEP 16, 2009
This is an incredible beer. It really tastes like an alcoholic creme brulee. The vanilla bean aroma dominates the nose and it is very inviting. The alcohol is 10% but it is covered very well, mainly by the unfermented lactose sugar. This is a very heavy beer and difficult to finish a 22oz. bomber, but if you have a couple of hours to sip this all night it is well worth the purchase.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
nealblind (1284) - Seattle, Alabama, USA - SEP 15, 2009
UPDATED: AUG 31, 2013 Rating 4.7 date 8/31/2013: Dark brown smells like the dessert, milk caramel. Tastes like it too. Well balanced though with a slight dry and bitter coffee finish. CLASSIC Rating 4.5 date 9/15/2009: For me there is no such thing as too sweet. I eat marshmallows like other people eat potato chips. For me this is a tier one beer all the way. The only thing that could make it better would be a thicker mouthfeel and longer lasting head. The carmel milky flavor more than makes up for it and the bitter roasted finish encourages you to have another sip. I will have this again when I am trying to seduce someone.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
boamr (310) - Allentown, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 15, 2009
Pours black with just a slight tan head to it. Has a sweet vanilla smell to it. Has a sweet, vanilla and coffee taste to. Little to sweet for me.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
BroSpud (1907) - , Massachusetts, USA - SEP 13, 2009
Large Bottle. I really like the Southern Tier stouts. While this one is not one of my favorites it is still well done and very unique. I found it to be a bit on the sweet side for my tastes. Definitely cannot drink too much of this at a time. A snifter after dinner makes for a good desert though.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Jblauvs (1357) - Chester, Vermont, USA - SEP 12, 2009
UPDATED: NOV 20, 2012 Pour is Dark Brown. Aroma Is Bailey’s, cream and burnt sugar, custard. Flavor is Super sweet sugar and coffee. Way too sweet to drink, I cannot handle more than a few ounces of this stuff and I choose not to drink even that much. If you are looking for something intensely sweet and sticky you may enjoy this, but it is not something I enjoy.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
DeeBee21 (51) - NH, New Hampshire, USA - SEP 12, 2009
Dark black pour, tan thin head. Aroma is soooOOoo sweet! Lots of vanilla custard, and burnt sugar, and chocolate also that boozy Baily’s scent, it actually smells more like tiramisu . Flavor is soo sweeeet but actually not as bad as I would of thought, Still takes a lot more like tiramisu then creme brulee. Has that lady finger flavor, still custardy and cinnamon, sugar, and chocolate. Pretty much just smells like it taste. Taste just how I assumed, sweet but not overpowering. Nice treat.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
goldfish19 (50) - Long Island, New York, USA - SEP 11, 2009
UPDATED: OCT 7, 2009 ~Purchased this 22 oz bomber from Big Z Beverage in Huntington, NY. You are either going to love this concoction or hate it. I actually enjoyed every moment of this gem from the first sip to it’s last. Even if imperial milk stout’s aren’t your thing, you should give this beer a try at least once – you will not be disappointed! The 10% ABV is undetectable, so drink carefully. Wonderful beer! ~