overall

RATINGS: 1575   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.76   SEASONAL: Summer   EST. CALORIES: 288   ABV: 9.6%
“a stout of great contention” We are not the harbingers of truth as some may suggest but it may indeed be argued that our brewing philosophy is tantamount to a dessert with a bellicose past. How, you may ask, would a brewery determine a likeness to hard-coated custard? Our response is simple; it’s all in the power of history, and of course, the extra finesse needed to top off a contentious treat with definition.

By comprehending the labyrinthine movement of time, one would not think it strange to trace the errant path of an ordinary object such as a cream dessert only to discover that it has been the cause of cultural disputes since the middle ages. The British founders of burnt cream and from Spain, crema catalana, both stand by their creative originality and we respect that, but it was the French Crème Brûlée, amid the strife of contention, that survived to represent our deliciously creamy brew. 9.6% abv • 25º plato • 195º L • 22 oz / 1/6 keg 2-row pale malt / dark caramel malt / vanilla bean / lactose sugar / kettle hops: columbus / aroma hops: horizon

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 13/20
Nejhleader (1346) - Lemoyne, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 24, 2009
very different. Has a sweet butterscotch aroma and taste. Good creamy body, appreciate what they were going for, but I thought this was a weird taste for a beer.

wilderthanyou (758) - Guelph, CANADA - AUG 23, 2009
Wow! Really did not expect to enjoy this beer as much as I did. Pours a motor oil black with a thin beige head. Aroma is huge, sweet, big on the caramel, and vanilla, lighter notes of black licorice. The flavour is also very very sweet, which normally I do not enjoy, but it works for this beer, huge vanilla and caramel flavour, with lighter notes of maple syrup, root beer, butterscotch, toffee, and raw sugar. The finish is a burnt roastiness bitter that helps even out the sweetness of the beer. Syrupy mouth feel. I really enjoyed this beer, but can easily understand why most will not, it is EXTREMELY SWEET.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
Sonicdescent (384) - Donora, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 22, 2009
Appearance is the weakest aspect, not much in the way of head and a near black pour with minimal lacing. Smell is exactly as advertised, heavy caramel, sweetness, sweetness, and sweetness. Taste is, according to my wife, Creme Brulee to a T. I have never had it, but what I can say is that this is an ultra sweet drink, with a cream taste, toffee, and caramel background. No hop or alcohol presence. Mouth is medium/big in feel and carbonation. Pretty easy to drink at first, gets much tougher because of how sweet it is.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
patrickfannon (1242) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 22, 2009
Okay, just to preface my review, this beer was one of my me and my friends’ favorite beers of the summer. We had it by bottle several times, and also found a Champps by us that had it on tap (which was awesome). The bottle, with cows on it suggesting milk, was offputting at first, but little did we know that it was protecting a hidden treasure. Pours deep brown, nearly black, with a creamy brown, thin head. The aroma is outrageous. It smells like creme brulee. Period. That taste is outrageous. it tastes like creme brulee turned into a fantastic stout. Period. Please do yourself a favor and buy a bottle or two. Good for fans of stouts and sweet beers alike.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 17/20
obguthr (4659) - Staunton, Virginia, USA - AUG 21, 2009
Strong aroma of vanilla, butterscotch, and caramel. Dark brown, thin off white head. It certainly tastes of creme brulee, but also has some more recognizable beery qualities. Delicious caramel malt and ash are present. The balance is decent to a point, but it takes a hard right toward overly bitter in the end, tasting of bark and black pepper I find this bitterness incompatable with the main premise. It also leaves the palate unpleasantly filmy. Great complexity and more than a novelty.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
zizzybalubba (1622) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - AUG 21, 2009
22 oz. bottle from Total Wine. Dark, almost black, pour with a thin brown head. Aroma of butterscotch and vanilla. Tastes of caramel, toffee, butterscotch, and roasted coffee. I think it’s incredible that all of these flavors come through so powerful in a beer. I do grow tired of it before I am done, however, and have looked for good ideas to finish the bottle (a shot or two in a cup of coffee isn’t bad but my favorite is a shot over a scoop of vanilla ice cream). A great, unique beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Elwood (3336) - Leesburg, Virginia, USA - AUG 21, 2009
Serving: 22 oz. bottle. Appearance: Black with garnet highlights and a creamy, tan head. Pretty good head retention. Aroma: Caramel, milk chocolate, lots of vanilla, very creme brulee like! The nose is pretty powerful and my significant other thought it smelled like a creme brulee candle. Taste: Creamy caramel, hints of milk chocolate, very sweet, loads of vanilla, slight burnt malt note, sort of a burnt bitterness in the back. The alcohol is nowhere to be found. Palate: Medium carbonation with a rich, thick mouthfeel. Medium, vanilla finish. Overall: I love the concept, but I thought this one was too sweet and had too much vanilla. Perhaps it will mellow with some aging. Rebuy: Yes, if just to see how it ages.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 3/20
BrockLanders (780) - Panama City, Florida, USA - AUG 20, 2009
On tap at the Blue Tusk. Dark brown pour....in a smaller glass because I wasn’t sure about buying a full glass. Nose was quite interesting.....sweet candy, malt, toffee, butterscotch.....begged me to take a sip. That’s where the fun stopped. I dig the way ST extends my favorite style but this one is an experiment gone bad. WAYYYYYY too sweet. I can’t emphasize that enough. Tacky, fake vanilla, with a sickly sweet pseudo-butterscotch--crappy flavor. I was extremely disappointed given how much I’ve enjoyed their other "over the top" efforts. Try it if you must....other raters seemed to like it but it wasn’t getting it for me.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
darkguardian (727) - Florida, USA - AUG 19, 2009
Wow this is underated. Pours a rather reddish brown. Big khaki head. Nose is pure butterscotch. Really amazing. Some dark chocolate and toffee peak out also. Flavor is crazy butterscotch up front with a chewy dark chocolate and toffee middle. Finishes with a bit of roast and bitterness and another strong dose of butterscotch. ABV is non existant. This is really great.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
bubbleflubber (2053) - Asheville, North Carolina, USA - AUG 17, 2009
A fantastic aperitif or dessert brew. This pours the deepest (almost opaque) mahogany into the glass, with a non-retentive brown head that leaves no lace. The nose is spot on for vanilla and caramel... heavy, sweet and deliciously aromatic. The flavors follow somewhat in tow. There is a ton of vanilla, sweet yet roasted malt, caramel, hazelnut, maple syrup, toffee, coffee and butterscotch in the flavor palate. The finish has just enough assertive bitters to disallow the brew from becoming cloying. The mouthfeel is somewhat creamy, yet a little syrupy. The body is full and bold, with many different complexities intermingling with soft carbonation levels. One of the greatest interpretations of a personal favorite style I’ve ever tried. Great job!