overall

RATINGS: 1504   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.76   SEASONAL: Summer   EST. CALORIES: 288   ABV: 9.6%
“a stout of great contention” We are not the harbingers of truth as some may suggest but it may indeed be argued that our brewing philosophy is tantamount to a dessert with a bellicose past. How, you may ask, would a brewery determine a likeness to hard-coated custard? Our response is simple; it’s all in the power of history, and of course, the extra finesse needed to top off a contentious treat with definition.

By comprehending the labyrinthine movement of time, one would not think it strange to trace the errant path of an ordinary object such as a cream dessert only to discover that it has been the cause of cultural disputes since the middle ages. The British founders of burnt cream and from Spain, crema catalana, both stand by their creative originality and we respect that, but it was the French Crème Brûlée, amid the strife of contention, that survived to represent our deliciously creamy brew. 9.6% abv • 25º plato • 195º L • 22 oz / 1/6 keg 2-row pale malt / dark caramel malt / vanilla bean / lactose sugar / kettle hops: columbus / aroma hops: horizon

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
goldtwins (4320) - Nesconset, New York, USA - FEB 23, 2009
Poured black with a brown edge and small tan head. Huge caramel sauce, like from a sundae, aroma with notes of vanilla and a roasted malt base. The flavor has the same sweet caramel in it as the aroma. Also notes of burnt sugar. The sweetness is moderate to full but then disappears leaving a bitterness that seems to be more from burnt roasted malt than from hops on the finish. Medium bodied.

kiefdog (1826) - Tampa, Florida, USA - FEB 22, 2009
Bottle courtesy of markwise. Pours a dark brown to black color with a thin tan head. Aroma is ridiculous -- just too many smells to label -- but definitely notes of candy sugar, toffee, butterscotch, cream, vanilla, caramel, almost like smelling a fresh tiramisu cake. Flavor is ridiculous as well -- Amazingly complex array of coconut, cream. vanilla, custard, ripe dark fruit, liquor, coffee, toffee and other notes. Generally medium body with a sweet and syrupy finish. Amazingly different beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
blankboy (6271) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 17, 2009
Bottle (650ml). Pours a very deep amber-brown with lots of hard to see bubbles and an average size frothy tan head. Good lacing. Aroma: Wow, that’s unique! I get Irish Cream first, followed by some espresso, roasted malt, cocoa, vanilla and caramel too. Flavour’s quite sweet -- can I drink a whole bomber of this? Vanilla, Irish Cream again, espresso, caramel and some alcohol in the bitter coffee finish -- definitely not something to drink if you aren’t in the right mood. Creamy mouthfeel. It’s certainly an interesting beer, and I like it, but I think I will give half of the bottle to my wife, a bomber of this is way too much.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
jkwalking05 (3923) - Arlington, Texas, USA - FEB 17, 2009
Deep mahogany with a small beige head. Aroma is of vanilla, caramel, butterscotch, and custard. Taste is of custard caramel, sweet milk, butterscotch, vanilla, and roasted malts in the finish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
HogTownHarry (6129) - Toronto (Harbourfront), Ontario, CANADA - FEB 16, 2009
Bottle (22oz). Been in my fridge DARING me to drink it - I’ve conquered my fear, here goes.Oily-looking black pour, lasting average-sized fizzy tan head (4-). Aroma - BAM! - really nails you behind the eyes ... burnt sugar, incredibly sweet, a lot like caramel pudding (custard, I guess - I don’t eat custard), with chocolate, mild coffee, table cream, sweetened butter, salt, a hint of fig - but nothing bitter except moderate alcohol and the carbonized sugar - lovely, but overpowering, really coats the nostrils. The taste - helldamn that’s sweet AND bitter - like a chocolate All-Sort slightly scorched and soaked in vodka - there seems to be actual bitterness here, but fricked if I can tell what from - booze, burnt and buttery-sugar keep assaulting my tongue. Slick, thick, syrupy, boozy, with a long .... I dunno, burnt I guess, linger. Love that aroma, but it’s such a burnt-sugar bomb I was left a little drunk and I felt like a hummingbird on a sugar-water overdose. WHY is this in bombers!?!!! Fer fuck’s sake!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
arrogantb (1402) - Denver, Colorado, USA - FEB 16, 2009
22oz bottle courtesy of Tayner, thanks a bunch. This was dark black and had a very strong vanilla and butterscotch. The taste had very little stout characteristics, almost pure butterscotch. I don;t know if that was intentional or not but it was not my cup of tea. Choklat is a much better offering in my opinion. Serving type: bottle Reviewed on: 09-21-2008 02:16:26

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
TheJester (1960) - Peterborough, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 15, 2009
650 mL bottle. (Thanks radiomgb). Deep, almost opaque chestnut brown with a brown, short-lived head. Smells like dessert. Like a caramel sundae, to be specific. (I suppose it smells like creme brulee, but I’ve never had creme brulee). Tastes like a liqueur - one of those winter ones you put in your coffee on Christmas Eve. Very sweet, but the hops and liquor take care of that, somewhat. A bit much for me, really. I’ve never had a sweet tooth.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BVery (6965) - Burnsville, Minnesota, USA - FEB 13, 2009
UPDATED: DEC 17, 2013 BOTTLE: another "holy sh*t" beer from Southern Tier! Pours thick, foamy, dark with a HUGE aroma of vanilla, cream, and caramel. Taste is over-the-top milky and caramel, this beer is frickin’ awesome.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
markwise (4545) - North of Tampa, Florida, USA - FEB 12, 2009
Un-frickin-believable beer. Squared. Pours dark black with a tan head. The nose erupts from the time the bottle is opened. Oatmeal cream pie, vanilla, cream, BUTTERSCOTCH, toffee, and sugary goodness. Flavor has caramel, butterscotch, tons of sugar, and some noticeable floral hops at the end. Is it over the top? Hell yes. It it magicly delicious? Hell yes again. Wow.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
nickd717 (3571) - San Francisco, California, USA - FEB 9, 2009
UPDATED: SEP 14, 2009 Bottle at The Bruery at a tasting event. Nice stout, very rich sweet flavor. Black color with a tan head. Aroma is sweet cream, caramel, burnt sugar, vanilla, and coffee. Flavor is sweet roasted malts, coffee, chocolate, ice cream, and creme brulee of course. Full and extremely smooth palate. It’s very good but you can only take so much of it at a time.