RATINGS: 1580   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.76   SEASONAL: Summer   EST. CALORIES: 288   ABV: 9.6%
“a stout of great contention” We are not the harbingers of truth as some may suggest but it may indeed be argued that our brewing philosophy is tantamount to a dessert with a bellicose past. How, you may ask, would a brewery determine a likeness to hard-coated custard? Our response is simple; it’s all in the power of history, and of course, the extra finesse needed to top off a contentious treat with definition.

By comprehending the labyrinthine movement of time, one would not think it strange to trace the errant path of an ordinary object such as a cream dessert only to discover that it has been the cause of cultural disputes since the middle ages. The British founders of burnt cream and from Spain, crema catalana, both stand by their creative originality and we respect that, but it was the French Crème Brûlée, amid the strife of contention, that survived to represent our deliciously creamy brew. 9.6% abv • 25º plato • 195º L • 22 oz / 1/6 keg 2-row pale malt / dark caramel malt / vanilla bean / lactose sugar / kettle hops: columbus / aroma hops: horizon

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
foundmd (210) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - JUL 26, 2009
22oz bottle. Pours black with thick creamy head that leaves some beautiful lacing. Huge aroma of butterscotch and burnt toffee. The flavor is as advertised. All the qualities of crème brûlée are here: creamy butterscotch, toffee, caramelized sugar, vanilla, lactose. Insane. There’s also coffee, bitter hops, chocolate, and roasted malts. Medium bodied, slightly fizzy, and a subtle bitter finish. Not my cup of tea, and certainly my least favorite of the series. But if you love the real thing, then you might like this brew.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Pawola22 (3262) - Plainfield, Illinois, USA - JUL 23, 2009
On tap at the Flying Saucer in KC. Pours a mostly black body with a tint of red to it. Inch thick, very creamy, milk chocolate brown head that dissipates slowly and leaves a boat load of creamy lacing. Aroma is extremely sweet and liqueur-like. Very aromatic as well. I can easily smell this from several feet away. Like a Werler’s butterscotch candy mixed with Bailey’s and vanilla extract. Some chocolate and rum covered candies too. Just barely a hint of roast and cherries. The taste is just as sweet. From now on when I think of "dessert beer," this will come instantly to mind. Just a touch of roast attempts to hold the vicious palate attack together, but the intense, carnivorious sweetness dominates. A little more towards the chocolate souffle rather than intense vanilla and butterscotch, but still plenty of creme brulee taste. Finishes with a light cloy and loads of sweet aftertaste with a little too much of a rummy taste. Palate is rather light and slick with a subtle dry aftertaste. Overall, way too sweet for my liking, but I give them credit for brewing exactly what they claim this to be.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
JaBier (5739) - Capital City, Ohio, USA - JUL 22, 2009
On tap at Barley’s Smokehouse. Nearly black pour with a medium tan head. Super sweet aroma of caramel and vanilla. Reminds me of this caramel soda they used to sell at the cafe at work (Frostop maybe?). Flavor is about the same. Incredibly sweet and tastes just like that damn soda with just a hint of chocolate as it warms. I’m not a hater of ST’s big and sweet stouts (hell, I love Choklat), but this one is a bit too much.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Birdiebeagle (958) - Perkasie, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 22, 2009
Bottle Pours a good black with a good tan head. The head is creamy and lasting. It also laces quite well. Has a sweet aroma of toffee, caramel, and creme brulee. Has a decent carbonation. The flavor is candy sweet with hints of toffee, smoke, and vanilla. The alcohol is hidden in the sweetness. Has a thicker texture. A good mouthfeel. The finish is good and the aftertaste is okay but a touch sweet for me. This is differnt but tasty.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
DalzAle (2012) - Eden Prairie, Minnesota, USA - JUL 20, 2009
Bottle. Dark black pour, a little carbonation, and plenty of sweet/syrupy burnt sugar aroma. Flavor is smoky coffee, vanilla and again burnt sugar/caramel. I’d probably give this a slightly higher overall rating if it just backed off the sweetness a little bit.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
beerandIT (300) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - JUL 20, 2009
Pours just shy of black with light head that seems to linger around for awhile. Medium bodied with decent lacing on the glass. On the nose I am getting creme brulee with some subtle coffee nuances. On the palate I am getting pretty much straight up creme brulee flavor. Nice dessert beer although I would not recommend aging this one. Some may havea problem with the lack of complexity as well, I know I do.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
j12601 (8000) - Poughkeepsie, New York, USA - JUL 19, 2009
On tap at the Peekskill Brewery. Pours a deep dark black with a thin tan head. Remarkably sweet aromas of caramel, toffee, and burning sugar. As described by my partner “It’s like I’m drinking candy, but in a good way”. Thick body, cookies, chocolate, sweet burnt sugar overtones. Finishes with a redeeming nice long bitterness. Very much over the top, as are the other stouts in this series, but this one is the biggest offender. Cloying probably past drinkable, unlike say the choklat which is also rather sweet but has some character to it. This is however good for what it is – a novelty beer. Something to buy a bomber of and share with a dinner party as an after dinner drink…because there’s no way I could finish a bomber of this alone. It was tough enough putting away my 3 ounce sample. On a side note, we did try a small blend of this and Abita’s Purple Haze (which is not so great in it’s own right). Together they came out pretty nice, with the watered down wheat and fruit from the Purple Haze cutting some of the sugar here and pairing up nicely with the caramel and vanilla.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
coyotehunter (691) - , Michigan, USA - JUL 18, 2009
Aroma is a beautiful mix of vanilla, butterscotch, creme brulee, and cookie dough. Pours a dark red/black with a good size head. Taste is another beast however. Its a sweet cloying mess of flavors...typical artificial flavors of Southern Tier. Thae others in the Blackwater series are pretty damn good...this however isnt. Its just flat out too damn sweet for me. Strong mix of the aforementioned aromas in the palate. Good texture, and the bigger the drink, the less of a mess it is, but still. I smelled this for about five minutes, and the first sip about made me gag. Definitely dont let this warm up....it becomes indiscernable.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
fidelis83 (2212) - Clinton, Iowa, USA - JUL 18, 2009
UPDATED: OCT 28, 2010 Pours black with a 2 finger chunky beige head that has poor retention. Aroma is butterscotch, vanilla, coffee and a little chocolate. No part of this smells like a beer. Flavor is chocolate, coffee, aspartame, butterscotch, caramel, buttery toffee, milky sweetness, chocolate chip cookie dough and hazelnut syrup. Some aspirin and coffee to the finish along with the super sweet vanilla laden fade. Palate is medium to thick bodied with a light carbonation, a bit of alcohol warmth and a slick, syrupy feel throughout. I really didn’t like this stuff, this doesn’t have many "beer like" qualities at all. To me this really seems to be just a sloppy under attenuated impy stout augmented with tons of lactose and vanilla. Southern Tier seems to get a lot of love for this stuff, I can see why alot of people might like it but I do not. When price is taken into account, this might be one of the biggest ripoffs in beer for me.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
michfan00 (10) - Chagrin Falls, Ohio, USA - JUL 17, 2009
Bottle. Bold Aroma notes of caramel coffee and chocolate. Finished very similar to the aroma but began with a maltier flavor.