overall

RATINGS: 1570   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.76   SEASONAL: Summer   EST. CALORIES: 288   ABV: 9.6%
“a stout of great contention” We are not the harbingers of truth as some may suggest but it may indeed be argued that our brewing philosophy is tantamount to a dessert with a bellicose past. How, you may ask, would a brewery determine a likeness to hard-coated custard? Our response is simple; it’s all in the power of history, and of course, the extra finesse needed to top off a contentious treat with definition.

By comprehending the labyrinthine movement of time, one would not think it strange to trace the errant path of an ordinary object such as a cream dessert only to discover that it has been the cause of cultural disputes since the middle ages. The British founders of burnt cream and from Spain, crema catalana, both stand by their creative originality and we respect that, but it was the French Crème Brûlée, amid the strife of contention, that survived to represent our deliciously creamy brew. 9.6% abv • 25º plato • 195º L • 22 oz / 1/6 keg 2-row pale malt / dark caramel malt / vanilla bean / lactose sugar / kettle hops: columbus / aroma hops: horizon

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
HogTownHarry (6201) - Toronto (Harbourfront), Ontario, CANADA - FEB 16, 2009
Bottle (22oz). Been in my fridge DARING me to drink it - I’ve conquered my fear, here goes.Oily-looking black pour, lasting average-sized fizzy tan head (4-). Aroma - BAM! - really nails you behind the eyes ... burnt sugar, incredibly sweet, a lot like caramel pudding (custard, I guess - I don’t eat custard), with chocolate, mild coffee, table cream, sweetened butter, salt, a hint of fig - but nothing bitter except moderate alcohol and the carbonized sugar - lovely, but overpowering, really coats the nostrils. The taste - helldamn that’s sweet AND bitter - like a chocolate All-Sort slightly scorched and soaked in vodka - there seems to be actual bitterness here, but fricked if I can tell what from - booze, burnt and buttery-sugar keep assaulting my tongue. Slick, thick, syrupy, boozy, with a long .... I dunno, burnt I guess, linger. Love that aroma, but it’s such a burnt-sugar bomb I was left a little drunk and I felt like a hummingbird on a sugar-water overdose. WHY is this in bombers!?!!! Fer fuck’s sake!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
arrogantb (1402) - Denver, Colorado, USA - FEB 16, 2009
22oz bottle courtesy of Tayner, thanks a bunch. This was dark black and had a very strong vanilla and butterscotch. The taste had very little stout characteristics, almost pure butterscotch. I don;t know if that was intentional or not but it was not my cup of tea. Choklat is a much better offering in my opinion. Serving type: bottle Reviewed on: 09-21-2008 02:16:26

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
TheJester (2130) - Peterborough, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 15, 2009
650 mL bottle. (Thanks radiomgb). Deep, almost opaque chestnut brown with a brown, short-lived head. Smells like dessert. Like a caramel sundae, to be specific. (I suppose it smells like creme brulee, but I’ve never had creme brulee). Tastes like a liqueur - one of those winter ones you put in your coffee on Christmas Eve. Very sweet, but the hops and liquor take care of that, somewhat. A bit much for me, really. I’ve never had a sweet tooth.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BVery (7881) - Plymouth, Minnesota, USA - FEB 13, 2009
UPDATED: DEC 17, 2013 BOTTLE: another "holy sh*t" beer from Southern Tier! Pours thick, foamy, dark with a HUGE aroma of vanilla, cream, and caramel. Taste is over-the-top milky and caramel, this beer is frickin’ awesome.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
markwise (4664) - North of Tampa, Florida, USA - FEB 12, 2009
Un-frickin-believable beer. Squared. Pours dark black with a tan head. The nose erupts from the time the bottle is opened. Oatmeal cream pie, vanilla, cream, BUTTERSCOTCH, toffee, and sugary goodness. Flavor has caramel, butterscotch, tons of sugar, and some noticeable floral hops at the end. Is it over the top? Hell yes. It it magicly delicious? Hell yes again. Wow.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
nickd717 (3624) - San Francisco, California, USA - FEB 9, 2009
UPDATED: SEP 14, 2009 Bottle at The Bruery at a tasting event. Nice stout, very rich sweet flavor. Black color with a tan head. Aroma is sweet cream, caramel, burnt sugar, vanilla, and coffee. Flavor is sweet roasted malts, coffee, chocolate, ice cream, and creme brulee of course. Full and extremely smooth palate. It’s very good but you can only take so much of it at a time.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
DonMagi (5595) - bantervile, Bedfordshire, ENGLAND - FEB 3, 2009
Bottle at chris o’s teabag for 2009 tasting. Alround rating: Possibly my beer of the evening. Its just a deserrt in a glass, the creme brulee is soo appealing and tasty, its massivly sweet but i keep going back for more.Massivly tasty and of all the imperial stouts, WTF is this not doing in the top 50.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
ajm (1066) - Los Angeles, California, USA - FEB 2, 2009
Bottle from Lone Hill. Zero chance I ever drink this again. Aroma is plainly artificial vanilla. Texture is sticky and cheap candy-like. The artifice that dominates the finish is wholly unappealing. Even the chocolate tastes like ’choklit product’. Not even the alcohol saves this. Unanimous drain pour.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Butters (3960) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - FEB 1, 2009
UPDATED: SEP 8, 2009 Shared with the boys for Cellar Reduction #3. Dark brown pour with fair tan head. Absolutely perfect praline icecream aroma. the best aroma of any beer I’ve ever come across. Butterscotch and rootbeer. Flavor is extremely sweet chocolate, pecan, toffee, caramel, candi corn. Flavor doesn’t hold up to aroma, but this is still an amazing beer. This is my beer mcdonalds: I’m lovin it!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Barrios (1243) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - FEB 1, 2009
UPDATED: SEP 8, 2009 Bottle with Butters and sixfootsix at the 3rd Cellar Reduction. Pours a tan head with a dark brown body. Smells of prailines and cream ice cream, butterscotch, and toast. Tastes like butterscotch, toast, little nutty, and some coffee. Tasty beer, sweet, not a stout for stouts, but tasty. Dessert palate.