overall

RATINGS: 1502   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.76   SEASONAL: Summer   EST. CALORIES: 288   ABV: 9.6%
“a stout of great contention” We are not the harbingers of truth as some may suggest but it may indeed be argued that our brewing philosophy is tantamount to a dessert with a bellicose past. How, you may ask, would a brewery determine a likeness to hard-coated custard? Our response is simple; it’s all in the power of history, and of course, the extra finesse needed to top off a contentious treat with definition.

By comprehending the labyrinthine movement of time, one would not think it strange to trace the errant path of an ordinary object such as a cream dessert only to discover that it has been the cause of cultural disputes since the middle ages. The British founders of burnt cream and from Spain, crema catalana, both stand by their creative originality and we respect that, but it was the French Crème Brûlée, amid the strife of contention, that survived to represent our deliciously creamy brew. 9.6% abv • 25º plato • 195º L • 22 oz / 1/6 keg 2-row pale malt / dark caramel malt / vanilla bean / lactose sugar / kettle hops: columbus / aroma hops: horizon

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
radagast83 (4943) - Fairfax, Virginia, USA - AUG 27, 2008
22 oz bottle. Pours a almost pitch black with a thin tan head. Seriously this beer is unlike almost any other beer I’ve ever had. A perfect "desert" beer, it has notes of butterscotch, vanilla, chocolates. Extremely creamy, and an extremely sweet mouthfeel. I would recommend this beer to everyone.

BeerBelcher (972) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - AUG 27, 2008
This beer is "dessert beer" like none other I’ve ever tasted. It is almost like someone had a fairly sweet and sugary beer and reduced it on a stove-top until some of the sugar carmelized into butterscotch, and it became viscous. If you are looking for a beer proxy for dessert or an after dinner cognac occasion, look no further. However, you’d better like butterscotch... Appearance is black and thick with thin head. Aroma is intensely butterscotch-y, with lots of roastiness imparting some chocolate as well. Flavor and mouthfeel are really remarkably creme brulee-like; lots of very rich, thick, and smooth butterscotch flavor with a sort of sticky mouthfeel. I liked this beer a lot. I won’t be buying it by the case, but it is highly from anything else I’ve ever had. Definitely recommended. I bought my bottle at Discount Liquor in Milwaukee.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
00cobraR (1103) - Greensboro, North Carolina, USA - AUG 26, 2008
Pours out a black color with a thin brown head. Aroma was a perfect 10. It was as if I had creme brulee sitting in front of me. Flavor at first was tooooooooooooo sweet for me. It had to be because the beer was too cold. As it warmed the flavor bettered somewhat, but this thing still was too sweet as it nearly gave me lock jaw everything i took a drink.

SuperDave (1932) - Beautiful Sunny Mesa, Arizona, USA - AUG 25, 2008
Pours a deep black color with a small creamy tan head that sticks around throughout. Aroma is vanilla, and lots of it. It reminds me of my old female boss who wore way too much vanilla perfume, but it was a good thing because she couldn’t possibly sneak up on you to see if you were screwing around, because you could smell her coming from a long way off. Fortunately, this stuff tastes a lot better than she did! Vanilla is definitely present in the flavor, but there is also dark roasted caramel malt, espresso roasted coffee, and hints of chocolate and hard candy sugar. Thick and creamy on the palate. A touch of alcohol on the finish, just enough to remind you this an imperial stout you’re drinking. Very enjoyable!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
mnoutdoors (2) - Allover, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 25, 2008 does not count
Huge Coffee Smell, Black as Night Appearance, Vanilla,Coffee,Sugar to the taste with very little alcohol finish. Gonna try it as a float with ice cream next time....

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
imadeadguy (378) - back in NJ!, New Jersey, USA - AUG 25, 2008
Head about this one a few months ago when it was first being brewed. Sounded awesome and ST knows how to do beer to I was expecting what I got. Pour is pitch black with frothy cream colored head. Aromas of vanilla, sugar, coffee, and some alcohol. Tastes exactly like Creme Brulee, but in liquid form. Thanks ST!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
TheRealBastard (145) - The-No, California, USA - AUG 25, 2008
This beer is very very sweet. Be prepared. Poured black and left nice lacing throughout the glass. Aroma is vanilla and chocolate smashed together. Taste is very sweet, chocolate, vanilla, coffee, roasted malt, and a touch of alcohol on the finish. This beer is diabetes in a bottle. You probably won’t be able to finish the entire 22oz’r. I couldn’t, but it’s not because it tastes bad, just a little over the top with sweetness.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
ross (2100) - weddington, North Carolina, USA - AUG 25, 2008
Bottle from Sean. I have heard many things about this beer, being either a love or hate thing. I had it in the fridge for several hours, so when I cracked it, it was way too cold to be consuming. I have also heard many things about it being ridiculous to have this in a bomber. I am not so sure about that. I could have drank my weight in this stuff, espeically once it got to a better temperature. Dark black color. Smells like a giant vanilla / roasted coffee drink with some alcohol in it. It IS sweet to drink, are there any hops in this? Rich, full of vanilla, chocolate, coffee, just all around a very unique and interesting beer. I could have drank the 22 oz myself, but more than one would leave you in hangover land. A nice dessert beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
sthlm (1232) - Minnesota, USA - AUG 25, 2008
[Bottle, thanks Guerde!] Pours dark brown with a small tan head. Aroma is HUGE! Over-the-top sweet butterscotch, maple syrup and vanilla that just explodes out of the glass. The taste is fairly sweet up front (not as much so as the aroma), then I got some black pepper, followed by deeply roasted malt (nearly charred), then maple syrup, and finally vanilla with the deeply roasted malt again. Good thick mouthfeel with a long finish. At times this tasted almost like a syrup-laden pancake, and other times it tasted like butterscotch candy. The almost charred malt is not something that I generally care for, but in this beer I think that it was necessary to offset the sweetness. My mother had one of those scented candles in the house once that smelled just like this, and I hated it. It actually made me feel nauseous at times. Unfortunately, this beer reminded me of that, which dropped the score some. So overall this was very unique and I can see how it is often love/hate--it should be in nip bottles instead of bombers though, because there is no way I would be able to finish this on my own.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Guerde (1178) - St. Paul, Minnesota, USA - AUG 24, 2008
(bottle) Pours dark brown with a scant off-white head. As others have mentioned, the aroma hits you as soon at the bottle is opened. It’s very sweet with a lot of vanilla, and plenty of butterscotch, which makes it smell very similar to a Wether’s original hard candy or some Handi-snacks pudding. The flavor is a mixture of roasted malt with the vanilla and butterscotch flavors. The mouthfeel is pretty thick and sticky, with a lingering finish of burnt malt along with vanilla and butterscotch. The flavor and aroma are really over the top, but it’s definitely a beer that would be tolerable in small doses.