overall

RATINGS: 1506   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.76   SEASONAL: Summer   EST. CALORIES: 288   ABV: 9.6%
“a stout of great contention” We are not the harbingers of truth as some may suggest but it may indeed be argued that our brewing philosophy is tantamount to a dessert with a bellicose past. How, you may ask, would a brewery determine a likeness to hard-coated custard? Our response is simple; it’s all in the power of history, and of course, the extra finesse needed to top off a contentious treat with definition.

By comprehending the labyrinthine movement of time, one would not think it strange to trace the errant path of an ordinary object such as a cream dessert only to discover that it has been the cause of cultural disputes since the middle ages. The British founders of burnt cream and from Spain, crema catalana, both stand by their creative originality and we respect that, but it was the French Crème Brûlée, amid the strife of contention, that survived to represent our deliciously creamy brew. 9.6% abv • 25º plato • 195º L • 22 oz / 1/6 keg 2-row pale malt / dark caramel malt / vanilla bean / lactose sugar / kettle hops: columbus / aroma hops: horizon

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jimbowood (1036) - Freeport, Georgia, USA - AUG 30, 2008
holy smokes batman. Huuuuuge vanilla, cream, and choc aroma. Perfection in the nose. This beer truly tastes like dessert. I love it. A great change of pace from the usual imp stout.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
sebletitje (6895) - Enghien, BELGIUM - AUG 30, 2008
UPDATED: AUG 12, 2013 Update Feb 2013: Juste à noter que la première impression est formidable, mais avec le recul, force est d’admettre que un bomber seul prouve être difficile. Le côte crème brûlée est bien rendu (grâce aux extraits) mais devient rapidement épais, et très sucré sur la fin.

Bottle courtesy of Cartdan. A desert in a bottle. On top of that, it is a hit. Pours black with brownish head. Aroma quickly hits you with the strong sweetness, and lactose that really characterize a real Creme Brulee desert. Taste is loaded with lactose, vanilla, some nice caramel notes, buttery notes and malts. The beer is hard to descrbibe due ot its unique taste. Something I would definitely try and buy again. It is very drinkable, and one can hardly notice the 10% abv.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
Nephilium (1415) - Ohio, USA - AUG 29, 2008
This has been sitting in my to try list for a while. So I finally decided it was time to put aside the fears, and try this beer. It starts with a very sweet aroma, strong vanilla, caramel, and something underneath that I can’t place. Pours an opaque black, with a thin tan head. Well... I’m not quite sure how to describe the flavor, very heavy upfront sweetness, vanilla notes, touch of caramel, and butterscotch. Very sticky mouthfeel. There is still a touch of alcohol noticeable in the finish. I think I’ve committed myself to a tough undertaking needing to kill the bomber myself. Not a bad beer, but really a once in a while type of beers.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
phishpond417 (2088) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 28, 2008
Wow, who’s idea was this? A delectable treat to say the least. Absolutely tastey and beautiful in every way. Pours a wicked thick creamy black colour with a soft two finger sized tan head. The lacing is creamy and coats the glass in a thick frosty way. Don’t feel ashamed if you catch yourself licking the sides of the glass or even the air around this beer for that matter. Like a beautiful 5 star dessert in every way. Vanilla, pecans, caramel, toffee and gingerbread. Taste is chewy, nutty- butterscotch, chocolate and vanilla flavors. While it is super tastey brew, it’s one that is best enjoyed in small amounts or once in a while.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
radagast83 (5071) - Fairfax, Virginia, USA - AUG 27, 2008
22 oz bottle. Pours a almost pitch black with a thin tan head. Seriously this beer is unlike almost any other beer I’ve ever had. A perfect "desert" beer, it has notes of butterscotch, vanilla, chocolates. Extremely creamy, and an extremely sweet mouthfeel. I would recommend this beer to everyone.

BeerBelcher (972) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - AUG 27, 2008
This beer is "dessert beer" like none other I’ve ever tasted. It is almost like someone had a fairly sweet and sugary beer and reduced it on a stove-top until some of the sugar carmelized into butterscotch, and it became viscous. If you are looking for a beer proxy for dessert or an after dinner cognac occasion, look no further. However, you’d better like butterscotch... Appearance is black and thick with thin head. Aroma is intensely butterscotch-y, with lots of roastiness imparting some chocolate as well. Flavor and mouthfeel are really remarkably creme brulee-like; lots of very rich, thick, and smooth butterscotch flavor with a sort of sticky mouthfeel. I liked this beer a lot. I won’t be buying it by the case, but it is highly from anything else I’ve ever had. Definitely recommended. I bought my bottle at Discount Liquor in Milwaukee.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
00cobraR (1103) - Greensboro, North Carolina, USA - AUG 26, 2008
Pours out a black color with a thin brown head. Aroma was a perfect 10. It was as if I had creme brulee sitting in front of me. Flavor at first was tooooooooooooo sweet for me. It had to be because the beer was too cold. As it warmed the flavor bettered somewhat, but this thing still was too sweet as it nearly gave me lock jaw everything i took a drink.

SuperDave (1932) - Beautiful Sunny Mesa, Arizona, USA - AUG 25, 2008
Pours a deep black color with a small creamy tan head that sticks around throughout. Aroma is vanilla, and lots of it. It reminds me of my old female boss who wore way too much vanilla perfume, but it was a good thing because she couldn’t possibly sneak up on you to see if you were screwing around, because you could smell her coming from a long way off. Fortunately, this stuff tastes a lot better than she did! Vanilla is definitely present in the flavor, but there is also dark roasted caramel malt, espresso roasted coffee, and hints of chocolate and hard candy sugar. Thick and creamy on the palate. A touch of alcohol on the finish, just enough to remind you this an imperial stout you’re drinking. Very enjoyable!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
mnoutdoors (2) - Allover, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 25, 2008 does not count
Huge Coffee Smell, Black as Night Appearance, Vanilla,Coffee,Sugar to the taste with very little alcohol finish. Gonna try it as a float with ice cream next time....

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
imadeadguy (378) - back in NJ!, New Jersey, USA - AUG 25, 2008
Head about this one a few months ago when it was first being brewed. Sounded awesome and ST knows how to do beer to I was expecting what I got. Pour is pitch black with frothy cream colored head. Aromas of vanilla, sugar, coffee, and some alcohol. Tastes exactly like Creme Brulee, but in liquid form. Thanks ST!