overall

RATINGS: 1542   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.76   SEASONAL: Summer   EST. CALORIES: 288   ABV: 9.6%
“a stout of great contention” We are not the harbingers of truth as some may suggest but it may indeed be argued that our brewing philosophy is tantamount to a dessert with a bellicose past. How, you may ask, would a brewery determine a likeness to hard-coated custard? Our response is simple; it’s all in the power of history, and of course, the extra finesse needed to top off a contentious treat with definition.

By comprehending the labyrinthine movement of time, one would not think it strange to trace the errant path of an ordinary object such as a cream dessert only to discover that it has been the cause of cultural disputes since the middle ages. The British founders of burnt cream and from Spain, crema catalana, both stand by their creative originality and we respect that, but it was the French Crème Brûlée, amid the strife of contention, that survived to represent our deliciously creamy brew. 9.6% abv • 25º plato • 195º L • 22 oz / 1/6 keg 2-row pale malt / dark caramel malt / vanilla bean / lactose sugar / kettle hops: columbus / aroma hops: horizon

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
Renntag (6) - - FEB 5, 2015 does not count
Caramel, nuts, toast, floral, butterscotch. Nice head. Complex flavours of caramel with a heavy body. Magnificent execution of creme brulee. What a wonderful stout. This might be a desert pour for most, but many should find the aromas and complexity to be top shelf.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
chinchill (2558) - South Carolina, USA - FEB 5, 2015
650ml bottle A - opaque, but clear, dark red-brown body with great reddish highlights under light. Smallish but durable tan head. S - smells like a superb liqueur; vanilla and caramel dominate, but has good depth and complexity. I’d give it a 10 were it not for the alcohol, even though it is partially hidden. T - like the smell, this is rather weet, but well-crafted with the flavors and aromas blending very nicely but in your mouth. Smooth, tiny bitter kick, liquid vanilla creme cake. Very sweet but I like it. M - light carbonation; creamy smooth; medium+ body; some obvious warming from the high ABV. O - A bit too sweet, but after all, it is a "creme brulee". Exceptionally smooth; unique flavor. Great dessert beer.

0.9
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 2/20
c1raider (47) - New York, USA - FEB 5, 2015
UPDATED: FEB 6, 2015 Its very rare I dont finish a beer, I didnt take 3 sips of this one before I gave it away. Imagine a creme brulee milkshake mixed with a watered down stout. Overtly sweet, palate feel was light and carbonated, huge vanilla notes, Carmel. Even the person I gave it to didnt finish it

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Augdraught1981 (170) - Harlem, Georgia, USA - FEB 2, 2015
WOW this is a big beer! Black pour, virtually no head with a delicious vanilla coffee & cream aroma. The taste is thick vanilla alcohol forward with some sweet creamed coffee in the finish. I have a big bottle of this stuff and have no idea how I’m going to finish it before it goes bad.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
hman43 (462) - Pinehurst, North Carolina, USA - JAN 31, 2015
It pours black with a healthy dark brown head. It has a hugely powerful vanilla aroma when first smelled. There are also various creamy aromas as well. It has tastes of vanilla, coffee and chocolate. There is a rich, creamy texture to it that compliments the moderate carbonation.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 16/20
jahshuwuh (468) - USA - JAN 30, 2015
Dark cola color with very little head. Smell reminds me of the vanilla cupcake scented Yankee candles. Tons of vanilla, buttercream, creme brûlée, butterscotch, caramel. Taste has a lot of vanilla as well, maybe too much, with the buttercream icing sort of flavors. There's a medium bitter throughout that kind of mimics the burnt sugar from creme brûlée but also tastes a bit like plastic and is a little off putting. Medium body and carbonation. Overall it's overpowering in the scent and taste and I wouldn't want to drink very much of it at a time. Very good mimicry of the dessert though. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Darwenus (593) - Virginia, USA - JAN 29, 2015
This stout pours dark brown to black, and the thin head fades to a rim with just a little bit of lace left in the glass. The aroma was boozy, with butterscotch, vanilla, rum, and raisin notes coming through strong. The flavor was sweet, but even boozier than the aroma (not really any surprise at almost 10% ABV). The flavor added bitter notes, coffee and licorice to the aroma, and the finish was surprisingly strong. Dessert beers sometimes wear out their welcome with me. This one didn’t.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
mrohia (169) - - JAN 26, 2015
Home, bottle. Blackity Black black brown. Like flat cola.smells like vanilla and alcohol. Short off-white head and lacing. Bitter, fairly soft, not heavy. Nice aftertaste, creamy finish. Strong. 22 ounces is a lot in one sitting. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
scoobyluv (511) - Asheville, North Carolina, USA - JAN 25, 2015
was very excited to try this beer as i love their mokah stout. however, i was disappointed by this beer. I am biased, though, as i am not a huge fan of butterscotch which is all over this beer. the smell, the taste, all covered with butterscotch. and the finish is butterscotch with alcohol like a whiskey or bourbon. it reminds me of both butterbeer (from harry potter and which is delicious, btw) and butterschnapps, if you like butterscotch, this beer for you

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
Ontape (434) - Valley Village, California, USA - JAN 24, 2015
Bottle. I don’t know. I guess I got what I bargained for here, it’s not like I was expecting much different from a beer named Creme Brulee. And I wanted to try it but that doesn’t mean I thought I’d like it... and I don’t. One one hand, it’s somewhat clever and decently executed. On the other, it’s disgustingly sweet with a biting bitter finish that I don’t care for. I can see how someone would enjoy this but I myself do not. But I guess I am glad I tried it -- it’s certainly different. Not finishing it though... not a chance.