overall

RATINGS: 1448   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.76   SEASONAL: Summer   EST. CALORIES: 288   ABV: 9.6%
“a stout of great contention” We are not the harbingers of truth as some may suggest but it may indeed be argued that our brewing philosophy is tantamount to a dessert with a bellicose past. How, you may ask, would a brewery determine a likeness to hard-coated custard? Our response is simple; it’s all in the power of history, and of course, the extra finesse needed to top off a contentious treat with definition.

By comprehending the labyrinthine movement of time, one would not think it strange to trace the errant path of an ordinary object such as a cream dessert only to discover that it has been the cause of cultural disputes since the middle ages. The British founders of burnt cream and from Spain, crema catalana, both stand by their creative originality and we respect that, but it was the French Crème Brûlée, amid the strife of contention, that survived to represent our deliciously creamy brew. 9.6% abv • 25º plato • 195º L • 22 oz / 1/6 keg 2-row pale malt / dark caramel malt / vanilla bean / lactose sugar / kettle hops: columbus / aroma hops: horizon

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
StoutDr (41) - Virginia, USA - MAR 16, 2014
I could not hardly drink this straight, as it is so increadibly sweet. I added a dollop of vanilla ice cream and it became one of the best floats I ever tasted. The Southern Tier Creme Brulee float should be on dessert menu of every beer snob restaurant. Overwhelmingly loud vanilla aroma. Pours thick black and creates lasting thick buoyant light brown head.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
gopherfan99 (196) - CROATIA - MAR 16, 2014
Got this on tap and I could smell the Crème Brulee as soon as the server set down. Great tasting beer that does like Crème Brulee. I should of had it for dessert instead of with my meal. Very good beer!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
tdoyledesign (154) - Michigan, USA - MAR 15, 2014
On draft at Clubhouse BFD. Dark brown with a faint head. Aroma is like a birthday cake. The aroma fills the air from a few feet away. Pure creme brulee as advertised. So strong it almost blocks out any other aroma. Taste is smooth and sweet with a sweet sugary taste that lingers. Palate is sugar, molasses and cream. Followed by more creme. Not the most tantalizing thing I’ve ever had on my palate but definitely tasty.

LearninBeer (333) - Sterling Heights, Michigan, USA - MAR 15, 2014
Aroma - Wow chocolate, some coffee, some nuts. Pours black with minimal head. The taste is sweet. The body/palate is medium, the texture creamy, the carbonation average and the finish long. This hits the nail on the head - Very good

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
bubblehouse (227) - louisville, Kentucky, USA - MAR 13, 2014
This beer definitely lives up to its name. I nearly overdosed on vanilla. Not my thing but i can appreciate that it was well done.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
plinythederek (22) - North Carolina, USA - MAR 11, 2014
Bomber baby! Bought from Mo’s Bottle Shop(RIP). It pours out black with a nice creamy head. You know this stuff is going to be sweet right away form the aroma. Huge caramel and vanilla smells. I mean freaking huge caramel smells! This smells like dessert in a glass. The taste is very sweet upfront. Caramel and vanilla blend together with the first sip to give you a nice custard flavor. But for a very sweet beer the aftertaste is kinda bitter. The taste falls off fast. I look for a more lingering mouthfeel with a stout and IMO this doesn’t deliver. Overall a very tasty beer, but not something that I would drink very often. Unless I want my dang teeth to rot out.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
rumproasts (2549) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - MAR 9, 2014
bottle. Black with half finger head. Thick and dense, somewhat oily mouthfeel. Huge over-the-top vanilla. I love vanilla, but this is pushing it. It reminds me a bit of the time I tried vanilla extract -- there’s so much vanilla it seems bitter.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
McWhite (108) - Sinking Spring, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 9, 2014
Delicious vanilla aroma truly captures the smell of creme brulee. Definitely smells like a dessert.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
CelticBrew (748) - The Crystal Coast, North Carolina, USA - MAR 9, 2014
Pours from bomber a lovely, thick black goodness. Aroma immediate of vanilla and chocolate. Taste of much the same. Truly creamy, but not overly sweet. Very satisfying stout.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
youneverknow (4) - Ohio, USA - MAR 8, 2014 does not count
What to say that hasn’t been said already - this is a big kids treat. Delicious, sweet, and smells heavenly. The 22oz had a fairly high price tag but it was oh so worth it. This is definitely a sipper - savor the flavor because the alcohol is so well hidden you’ll think you got duped.