overall

RATINGS: 1515   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.76   SEASONAL: Summer   EST. CALORIES: 288   ABV: 9.6%
ďa stout of great contentionĒ We are not the harbingers of truth as some may suggest but it may indeed be argued that our brewing philosophy is tantamount to a dessert with a bellicose past. How, you may ask, would a brewery determine a likeness to hard-coated custard? Our response is simple; itís all in the power of history, and of course, the extra finesse needed to top off a contentious treat with definition.

By comprehending the labyrinthine movement of time, one would not think it strange to trace the errant path of an ordinary object such as a cream dessert only to discover that it has been the cause of cultural disputes since the middle ages. The British founders of burnt cream and from Spain, crema catalana, both stand by their creative originality and we respect that, but it was the French CrŤme BrŻlťe, amid the strife of contention, that survived to represent our deliciously creamy brew. 9.6% abv ē 25ļ plato ē 195ļ L ē 22 oz / 1/6 keg 2-row pale malt / dark caramel malt / vanilla bean / lactose sugar / kettle hops: columbus / aroma hops: horizon

DuffLover's rating

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
DuffLover (100) - Hoboken, New Jersey, USA - JUN 29, 2013
Very interesting brew. More butterscotch than creme brulee though. Had I wanted a butterscotch beer this would be fine, but I didnít. I would give this an award for originality but would not buy again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
mrohia (149) - - JAN 26, 2015
Home, bottle. Blackity Black black brown. Like flat cola.smells like vanilla and alcohol. Short off-white head and lacing. Bitter, fairly soft, not heavy. Nice aftertaste, creamy finish. Strong. 22 ounces is a lot in one sitting. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
scoobyluv (506) - Asheville, North Carolina, USA - JAN 25, 2015
was very excited to try this beer as i love their mokah stout. however, i was disappointed by this beer. I am biased, though, as i am not a huge fan of butterscotch which is all over this beer. the smell, the taste, all covered with butterscotch. and the finish is butterscotch with alcohol like a whiskey or bourbon. it reminds me of both butterbeer (from harry potter and which is delicious, btw) and butterschnapps, if you like butterscotch, this beer for you

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
Ontape (389) - Valley Village, California, USA - JAN 24, 2015
Bottle. I donít know. I guess I got what I bargained for here, itís not like I was expecting much different from a beer named Creme Brulee. And I wanted to try it but that doesnít mean I thought Iíd like it... and I donít. One one hand, itís somewhat clever and decently executed. On the other, itís disgustingly sweet with a biting bitter finish that I donít care for. I can see how someone would enjoy this but I myself do not. But I guess I am glad I tried it -- itís certainly different. Not finishing it though... not a chance.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
FestDecBeet (289) - - JAN 24, 2015
Look: pours black. Clear. Can see a red through the edge of the glass. Light brown thick head. Smell: cream. Vanilla. Sweet sugar. Taste: vanilla. Chocolate. Creaminess. Coffee. Feel: thick. Slight dryness on the back but super sweet on the front. Overall: nice beer. Overwhelming sweetness. First drank: home 1/23/15 Vintage: 1/9/15

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Joel (111) - Massachusetts, USA - JAN 24, 2015
Pours inky black with a tan head. Powerful aroma of sweet vanilla, cream, chocolate and mild fruit. Tastes of candy, cream, and chocolate, but above all else is tastes of vanilla. This is an imperial milk stout with tons of vanilla that doesnít taste like it has that much alcohol. A perfect desert treat in moderation.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
greenhorn1 (832) - Mission Viejo, California, USA - JAN 12, 2015
On tap. Holy shit this beer is absolutely crazy, especially the huge, and I mean huge, aroma of sweet vanilla. I donít think I have ever had such an aromatic beer. Flavor is very sweet, dessert sweet, but excellent. You must try this one, so good. Canít even taste the ABV.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 8/20
geeklimit (214) - USA - JAN 9, 2015
Pours black with good carbonation and a lace head. Vanilla aroma with a bourbon body. Strong chocolate caramel with vanilla taste with a very prominent alcohol flavor. Caramel aftertaste and a slightly sticky mouthfeel. Novelty beer, taste like something youíd expect to try and have a session with, only to vomit later.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
TheCaptMatey (133) - Ohio, USA - JAN 8, 2015
Poured a black colour with a tan head that left thick lacing. Aroma of rich vanilla, cream, and caramel. Flavor is of vanilla, cream, coffee, and a bit of roasted malts on the finish. Smooth mouthfeel and full bodied with light carbonation. Sweet all the way through with a light bitter malt finish. A true dessert beer if there ever was one.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Ericular (705) - Minnesota, USA - JAN 5, 2015
This aroma is really, really good. Lots of vanilla and cream. Pretty much a dessert beer. Taste is above average, with lots of milk chocolate and vanilla. I liked this one more than I expected.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
trapped (939) - New York City, TURKEY - DEC 26, 2014
Draught. Dark brown color with small off-white foamy head, strong caramelized sugar aroma, sweet milk and caramel taste, low carbonation, thin body, long aromatic finish. Very interesting brew, felt like drinking a dessert!