overall

RATINGS: 1772   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.74   SEASONAL: Autumn   EST. CALORIES: 258   ABV: 8.6%
Pumking is an ode to Púca, a creature of Celtic folklore, who is both feared and respected by those who believe in it. Púca is said to waylay travelers throughout the night, tossing them on its back, and providing them the ride of their lives, from which they return forever changed. Brewed in the spirit of All Hallows Eve, a time of the year when spirits can make contact with the physical world and when magic is most potent. Pour Pumking into a goblet and allow it’s alluring spirit to overflow. As spicy aromas present themselves, let it’s deep copper color entrance you as your journey into this mystical brew has just begun. As the first drops touch your tongue a magical spell will bewitch your taste buds making it difficult to escape the Pumking.
2007 - Brown Label 7.9% ABV w/text & logo on bottlecap
2008 - Brown Label 9.0% ABV w/text & logo on bottlecap
2009 - Orange Label 9.0% ABV w/text & logo on bottlecap
2010 - Orange Label 9.0% ABV w/logo only on bottlecap
2011 - Orange wood grain background label 8.6% ABV and Southern Tier logotype in two lines.
2012 - Same as 2011 label 8.6% ABV, silver/black/white bottlecap.
2013 - Same as 2012 label and bottle cap 8.6% ABV, date stamp in green text.
2014 - New label design w/orange/white/green, 8.6% ABV

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
deadguy (42) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - OCT 19, 2008
Nice golden orange color, lots of head, moderate lacing. Initial nose of pumpkin and cinnamon. Tastes of caramel, cinnamon, pumpkin with a hint of coconut. Overall the best pumpkin ale I have ever had. Bodega restaurant had it on draft but the keg ran out, now I can’t find it. Can’t taste the alcohol at all, I expected quite a burn with such a high abv.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Beardface (1517) - Eugene, Oregon, USA - OCT 19, 2008
I’ve never enjoyed pumpkin beers in the past, but I had also never tried one this highly rated so I figured I’d give it a shot...turns out I just really don’t like the style. Very powerful smell of cloves and pumpkin, and taste is just too overpoweringly pumpkiny. Great job of masking the alcohol content though.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
DragonsHead (140) - Morgantown, West Virginia, USA - OCT 17, 2008
I usually can’t stand a pumpkin ale with flavor, but this one sticks with me. The aroma give you a full feeling of fall. I need to keep a bomber of this for the winter. The taste is straight up pumpkin pie having sex with a yankee candle. It’s almost too much. I had a 12oz snifter of this, and it was almost too much. In the words of comic book guy.... Best pumpkin beer ever!!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
garmonbozia (429) - Hattiesburg, Mississippi, USA - OCT 16, 2008
Holy Cow. I have never smelled nor tasted a pumpking beer like this. A huge Thnaks to Kingpin IPA, man what an awsome beer. I could almost taste a pumpkin pie. Nice orange color with beige head. Taste was amazing. I can’t say it enough. the 9% is very well hidden.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
carruthm (1401) - Seattle, Washington, USA - OCT 16, 2008
V - clear golden orange color, right off the bat reminds me of a pumpkin. Very small, practically non-existent head.
A - the pumpkin aroma (nutmeg, clove, cinnamon) is incredibly potent, able to get whiffs of it from three feet away. Close up, the nutmeg is almost overpowering. Very pleasant.
T - follows up on the aroma but introduces a creamy richness from some hops and just a touch of malt.
P - after the strong aroma, the taste is almost too much and this is one of the very very few spiced ales that I think might benefit from a more mild taste in order to let the nose of the beer do the work.
Overall, very good and at least in the top 2 of pumpkin ales with the Elysian.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
cloudstrife (54) - Rochester, New York, USA - OCT 15, 2008
22oz Bottle poured into glass. Pumpkin gold color with a yellowish white head. The smell of fresh pumpkin pie! Very delicious smelling beer. Absolutely the best pumpkin beer I have ever tasted, just like pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving. I agree with the person who said they can taste everything right down to the graham cracker crust. Especially because the aroma of graham cracker crust is so strong. Great job of hiding the 9% alcohol which I must confess I love too. As far as harvest brews go this is what I would recommend to anyone interested. Overall Southern Tier scores again with another awesome beer, a must have.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
discoverbeer (3) - , Washington, USA - OCT 13, 2008 does not count
Bottle from By The Bottle, Discover Great Beer! Pours clean,cooper color, not overly carbonated. Aroma of pumkin,nutmeg, allspice,and freshly baked pie crust. Alcohol makes a big appearance in the finish. Hoppy Halloween enjoy!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
jgentgesdo (673) - Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA - OCT 13, 2008
Pours clear amber with no head. Nose is pumpkin and allspice. Very strong creamy pumpkin flavor, tons of vanilla... almost like drinking pumpkin flavored creme brulee. Very strong alcohol note. Quite sweet. Strong spicy/bitter finish. Not doing it for me.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
lebshiff21 (174) - Skippack, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 13, 2008
Pretty remarkable spices and overall flavor. Tastes like pumpkin pie - all the way to the graham cracker crust. Vanilla notes are nice, plenty of nutmeg. Probably the best pumpkin beer I’ve had.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
WickerBrew (311) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - OCT 13, 2008
Ok I am all over the board on this. Plus it is quite possible that I have been wrong all along with my dislike of the punkin beer. This is loaded with punkin taste. Loaded. Its a sweetness that has very little of the spice that Dogfish is overwhelmed with. This is a total oppisite in the same style. Very interesting and I must admit, much more drinkable.