overall

RATINGS: 1727   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.74   SEASONAL: Autumn   EST. CALORIES: 258   ABV: 8.6%
Pumking is an ode to Pca, a creature of Celtic folklore, who is both feared and respected by those who believe in it. Pca is said to waylay travelers throughout the night, tossing them on its back, and providing them the ride of their lives, from which they return forever changed. Brewed in the spirit of All Hallows Eve, a time of the year when spirits can make contact with the physical world and when magic is most potent. Pour Pumking into a goblet and allow its alluring spirit to overflow. As spicy aromas present themselves, let its deep copper color entrance you as your journey into this mystical brew has just begun. As the first drops touch your tongue a magical spell will bewitch your taste buds making it difficult to escape the Pumking.
2007 - Brown Label 7.9% ABV w/text & logo on bottlecap
2008 - Brown Label 9.0% ABV w/text & logo on bottlecap
2009 - Orange Label 9.0% ABV w/text & logo on bottlecap
2010 - Orange Label 9.0% ABV w/logo only on bottlecap
2011 - Orange wood grain background label 8.6% ABV and Southern Tier logotype in two lines.
2012 - Same as 2011 label 8.6% ABV, silver/black/white bottlecap.
2013 - Same as 2012 label and bottle cap 8.6% ABV, date stamp in green text.
2014 - New label design w/orange/white/green, 8.6% ABV

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
walleye (1067) - Sterling Heights, Michigan, USA - AUG 18, 2008
My 1st pumpkin beer for this year and what way to start. poureda clear amber with a small off white head. aroma pumkin pie spice brown sugar, cinnamon, and all the other wonderful spices that go into a pie. Flavor If I wasn’t drinking this I would swear it taste just like the pumpkin pies I make for thanksgiving dinner.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
dmac (4016) - Toms River, New Jersey, USA - AUG 18, 2008
22 oz bomber purchased at Spirits RB. After being let down by Choklat and utterly disappointed by Creme Brulee I wasn’t sure what to epxect with this one. Well Southern Tier nails this beer by giving it a good dose of pumpkin and spice but not making it to over the top a la Creme Brulee. The noe has notes of pumpkin, cinnamon, vanilla, and nutmeg. The flavor is pumpkin and cinnamon that balances nicely with the base beer. I can’t stress enough how nicely balanced this beer is and by no means do you notice the 9% alcohol that I’m sure will easily sneak up on some people.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Damico (2579) - Royersford, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 17, 2008
Wow, this beer is awesome! Just like the menu said, it tastes like pumpkin bread right off the bat. There is the perfect balance of malt and pumpkin flavor and just the right sweetness. It’s the best pumpkin beer I’ve tasted, no wonder why I’ve matched it with my Chimay white rating.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
chicagodri (1683) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - AUG 17, 2008
I am not a huge fan of pumpkin beers, but I would have to say that this is the best one I have had so far. Really strong aroma, spices, cinnamon, brown sugar, and pumpkin. Good flavor. Actually really smooth and easy to drink, didn’t seem like 9% beer to me. Good stuff. Can’t say I would drink a ton of these, but very good for something different. Worth a try.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
fiver29 (1035) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - AUG 16, 2008
On tap pours a clear copper ’pumpkin’ color with a orange like head. The aroma on this beer is awesome. I can smell pumpkin spices of cinnamon and nutmeg with crust in the background. After smelling this I taste a pumpking pie in a glass. I taste the spices with full pumpkin flavor throughout. Mouthfeel is medium with a good amount of carbonation. Overall this is easily my favorite pumpkin ale. The combo of smells and flavors combine to make drinking this a true pumpkin pie in a glass. I need more!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
nuplastikk (4399) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 15, 2008
22oz bottle. Medium orange hue with a moderate head, semi-transparent. Intense cinnamon-nutmeg aroma. The taste is equally intense, not unlike pumpkin pie. The body isn’t quite as thick as some of the Pumpkin Ales I’ve had, which is a good thing in this case. Comes off quite quite easy drinking, with a sweet natural aftertaste. This is certainly one of the best Pumpkin beers you can find.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
12many (277) - Alaska, USA - AUG 12, 2008
Bottle. Hazy orangish copper with a fine head and good lacing. Aroma is pumpkin, nutmeg, some other spices, and brown sugar. Reminds me of Autumn and the trees changing colors. Really digging this aroma. Flavor is mostly sweet but I can taste some bitterness which makes me think of hops although I couldn’t pick any up on the aroma. Palate is medium bodied, very smooth, moderate carbonation, and leaves a little aftertaste which makes a second sip inevidable. Alcohol is well hidden but is slightly warming a few seconds after swallowing. Expectations exceeded.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
GMCC2181 (1504) - Newark, Delaware, USA - AUG 11, 2008
UPDATED: SEP 30, 2009 On my quest to find the best pumpkin beer out there....so I have been waitng for this one a while. Consumed on a cool August night in DE. Aroma is a sweet pumpkin pie. Sugar, pumpkin, nutmeg and all the other goodies. Color is a goldish orange, with a good head. Definetly taste just like pumpkin pie! Taste is sweet but enjoyable. The texture is light. Overall the best pumkin beer that I have had to date. I will definitely have to pick up some more!*****UPDATE***** Picked up some more, pretty much think the same thing as before . So far the best pumpkin beer out there! I could drink this all year round. The best seasonal beer of all time, I cant wait for fall ever year because of this brew

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Derek881 (1007) - St. Petersburg, Florida, USA - AUG 11, 2008
Another beer I sampled on tap at Max’s Taphouse in Baltimore. The beer had a very clear, light amber-orange color with a short-lived, barely visible white head. A rich pumpkin and spicy aroma with brown sugar and molasses shining through along with a touch of hops. A sweet flavor dominated by brown sugar, cinnamon, and pumpkin tones, with a subtle ending bitterness. The beer was wet and thinner with adequate carbonation, but not a substantial mouthfeel.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
dogfish120love (947) - Westfield, Massachusetts, USA - AUG 6, 2008
very delicious it like eating the best pumkin bread ever. I wish it was october when I was drinking this. very sweet and you can definetly taste nutmeg.