overall

RATINGS: 1674   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.74   SEASONAL: Autumn   EST. CALORIES: 258   ABV: 8.6%
Pumking is an ode to Púca, a creature of Celtic folklore, who is both feared and respected by those who believe in it. Púca is said to waylay travelers throughout the night, tossing them on its back, and providing them the ride of their lives, from which they return forever changed. Brewed in the spirit of All Hallows Eve, a time of the year when spirits can make contact with the physical world and when magic is most potent. Pour Pumking into a goblet and allow it’s alluring spirit to overflow. As spicy aromas present themselves, let it’s deep copper color entrance you as your journey into this mystical brew has just begun. As the first drops touch your tongue a magical spell will bewitch your taste buds making it difficult to escape the Pumking.
2007 - Brown Label 7.9% ABV w/text & logo on bottlecap
2008 - Brown Label 9.0% ABV w/text & logo on bottlecap
2009 - Orange Label 9.0% ABV w/text & logo on bottlecap
2010 - Orange Label 9.0% ABV w/logo only on bottlecap
2011 - Orange wood grain background label 8.6% ABV and Southern Tier logotype in two lines.
2012 - Same as 2011 label 8.6% ABV, silver/black/white bottlecap.
2013 - Same as 2012 label and bottle cap 8.6% ABV, date stamp in green text.
2014 - New label design w/orange/white/green, 8.6% ABV

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
RagallachMC (631) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - OCT 15, 2007
22oz bottle. Aroma: Huge pumpkin pie spice aroma. Cinnamon, clove, allspice, nutmeg. Graham cracker, vanilla, and a slight medicinal note. Appearance: Dark amber/orange in color and clear. Light khaki head was full and foamy with good retention. Nice lacing. Flavor: Grainy maltiness with some light caramel. Spices kick in strong. Vanilla, ginger, and light alcohol. Slight medicinal taste into the finish. Palate: Medium-full bodied. Medium carbonation. Light alcohol warmth in back of mouth. Overall: Glad I shared this because the spices dominated the flavor and made it hard to finish. If they toned down the spice in the flavor, this would be awesome.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
BigBeer45 (1243) - Michigan, USA - OCT 15, 2007
UPDATED: DEC 18, 2008 Bomber Bottle: Poured a light amber with orange on the edges, few off-white bubbles, aroma of ginger cookies as the cap came off, more ginger cookies when poured, oats and flower (the kind you bake with) to make cookies, reminds me of cookie dough mix before placing in the oven, some cinnamon, faint pumpkin-vegetable and sweet fragrances, a sip brought flavors of cinnamon, faint brown sugar and clove-pepper, real faint vegetable flavor, I could not pin down a pumpkin flavor but was enjoyable anyway, some alcohol warmth in the mouth but I thought the 9% was pretty well hidden, this was even on the tongue and had nice carbonation, this was nicely done, the aroma was almost heavenly, like sticking my nose into a cookie jar of oatmeal ginger cookies, the spices did not wear down my tongue like some other heavy handed spice beers, I just wish the pumpkin aroma and flavor were more pronounced, I think this would make a nice after dinner dessert drink on a cool evening.……………………………………………………………………………………………………………… a bottle this fall and the beer did not appear to be the same stuff, aroma had pumpkin-vegetable that did not come across as balanced with the spices, flavor was off and I did not enjoy at all, I struggled through this wondering what happened to the wonderful brew I enjoyed a year ago, I can’t believe how much the aroma and flavor has changed from last years bottle, if S.T. revised the recipe then they ruined a great drink, yuck! Rating for 2008 bottle 6-4-4-4-9 for total of 2.7, rating is a combination of both ratings.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
xnoxhatex (1305) - Grand Rapids/Chicago, Michigan, USA - OCT 15, 2007
Bomber from whole foods lincoln park, Chicago. A deep amber with orange hint with medium white head. Aroma is primarily pumpkin with ginger, and other spices. Flavor is also very pumpkiny with interesting spice mixed with a large malt presence. Very smooth and full bodied. An excellent pumpkin beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
ehhdayton (1188) - USA - OCT 15, 2007
Pours a deep rich amber with deep rich aromas of ginger, clove, vanilla, brown sugar, and pumpkin. Quite possibly the most aromatic pumpkin beer I have tried. Flavor is full with the spices of a pumpkin pie and is yet balanced with the flavors of the malt.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
jason (1677) - Easton, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 15, 2007
Bottle. The nose on this beer was fantastic. Perfect pumpkin smell with some light spices. It really had me thinking I was smelling a fresh baked pumpkin pie. The flavor was good but at sometimes a little too much spices. All in all it was very smooth and balanced. Nice mouthfeel.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
rob897 (62) - Buffalo, New York, USA - OCT 15, 2007
this was not your normal pumkin beer, very unique flavors that made this one really stand out among the rest.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
alexsdad06 (5342) - Ohio, USA - OCT 14, 2007
UPDATED: NOV 28, 2009 22 oz. bottle. Pours a dark orange/amber with a medium off white head. The aroma had a spice mix that you might associate with pumpkin, but to be honest I found it mostly offensive. The flavor again was not something I enjoyed. The combination of spices didn’t work for me. This was my first attempt at drinking a pumpkin beer and I must admit that I will be guarded in the future. I have enjoyed most other Southern Tier beers so this is disappointing. Re-rate on 11/27/09 I don’t know if I had a bad bottle, I was in a bad mood or my palate has changed, but this was much better than the first time I had it. The spices and pumpkin work well together and this has now jumped close to the top of the list for pumpkin beers for me.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Funknmilla (677) - Wayne, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 14, 2007
UPDATED: OCT 19, 2007 2007..22 oz bottle....straight up pumpkin pie aroma, and some candied yams....tastes like candied yams, and not as much pumpkin, marshmallows as well....dark orange with an off-white head...creamy texture, one of , if not the best pumpkin beers i’ve ever tasted....a sweet finish, and nice lingering light spices...cinaminy!!...(9 % well disguised)

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
NJDevilz69 (28) - Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey, USA - OCT 14, 2007
From a 22oz bottle. This is one of those times when you try a flavored beer and it tastes like what you think it would. Pumpkin pie. Its nose is like a pie baking in your grandma’s oven. Only complaint I guess would be the head didnt stick around long and it was kinda light in color. But for a beer that is 9% you couldnt even tell. The best pumpkin I have ever had and I have tried plenty. It’s just that F**kin good.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
grandet (501) - Scranton, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 14, 2007
Way too much in the spice department for me. The smell even made me sick. Not as good as I thiought it wiould be