overall

RATINGS: 1806   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.73   SEASONAL: Autumn   EST. CALORIES: 258   ABV: 8.6%
Pumking is an ode to Pķca, a creature of Celtic folklore, who is both feared and respected by those who believe in it. Pķca is said to waylay travelers throughout the night, tossing them on its back, and providing them the ride of their lives, from which they return forever changed. Brewed in the spirit of All Hallows Eve, a time of the year when spirits can make contact with the physical world and when magic is most potent. Pour Pumking into a goblet and allow itís alluring spirit to overflow. As spicy aromas present themselves, let itís deep copper color entrance you as your journey into this mystical brew has just begun. As the first drops touch your tongue a magical spell will bewitch your taste buds making it difficult to escape the Pumking.
2007 - Brown Label 7.9% ABV w/text & logo on bottlecap
2008 - Brown Label 9.0% ABV w/text & logo on bottlecap
2009 - Orange Label 9.0% ABV w/text & logo on bottlecap
2010 - Orange Label 9.0% ABV w/logo only on bottlecap
2011 - Orange wood grain background label 8.6% ABV and Southern Tier logotype in two lines.
2012 - Same as 2011 label 8.6% ABV, silver/black/white bottlecap.
2013 - Same as 2012 label and bottle cap 8.6% ABV, date stamp in green text.
2014 - New label design w/orange/white/green, 8.6% ABV

bugsizzy (57) - USA - NOV 18, 2012
UPDATED: AUG 29, 2014 Best pumpkin ale I had this year. Pour was a clear light pumpkin. Taste was fantastic smooth melding of pumpkin and spice without being overwhelming...wish I found this sooner. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
SteveLikesBeer (55) - - OCT 29, 2013
It has a rich copper colour and a creamy smoothness that makes it easy going down, which too often isnít the case with high alcohol beers -- and this one is 8.6 per cent. It poured with little head. While it contains spices, theyíre not as bold in the aroma or flavour as in some pumpkin beers. But they creep in on the finish after a vanilla and graham cracker crust introduction. Iíd read very positive things about Pumking and, while I wonít rave about it, Iím certainly not disappointed.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
Kshlava (55) - - SEP 3, 2012
Smells like soap. Too much carbonation. Better than the average beer but not something I would recommend. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
cloudstrife (54) - Rochester, New York, USA - OCT 15, 2008
22oz Bottle poured into glass. Pumpkin gold color with a yellowish white head. The smell of fresh pumpkin pie! Very delicious smelling beer. Absolutely the best pumpkin beer I have ever tasted, just like pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving. I agree with the person who said they can taste everything right down to the graham cracker crust. Especially because the aroma of graham cracker crust is so strong. Great job of hiding the 9% alcohol which I must confess I love too. As far as harvest brews go this is what I would recommend to anyone interested. Overall Southern Tier scores again with another awesome beer, a must have.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
loafgoat (53) - Eau Claire, Wisconsin, USA - SEP 24, 2011
Orange color, with quickly fading head. Wonderful sweet and spicy aroma. Taste is sweetish, with a nice spice and alcohol flavor as would be expected

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
scrob (53) - Jacksonville, Florida, USA - NOV 17, 2012
this is an intense pumpkin beer for sure. pours a somewhat cloudy, deep orange color with a small white head. aroma is pumpkin, cinnamon, all spice, vanilla, and lots of ginger bread. Medium bodied mouthfeel with nice bitterness. Finishes smooth with a noticeable alcohol presence. overall, i am really enjoying this as itís a nice change from the basic pumpkin beers Iíve been drinking lately.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Chaneybr (52) - Washington DC, USA - AUG 20, 2013
Reviewed 9-7-10. I split this one with my wife because she is a pumpkin FANATIC! This is absolutely my favorite time of year, and the beers that come out during the fall season are second to none IMO. Even though I look forward to this one every year, this year is different...now I have tried the Schlaflyís Pumpkin Ale (2nd behind this one on BA), and the one done by Williamsburg Alewerks (which I think is 3rd). Here is my 2010 review of this highly anticipated brew that was just released yesterday: Ap: Copper color, very little head, and moderate carbonation. Ar: Marshmallow, pumpkin, and even a bit of graham cracker. I mean, there is almost no trace that this is even a beer! T: Pumpkin pie with the crust and all. Very strong whip cream aftertaste. I simple canít describe this as a beer, or using descriptors commonly associated with beer lingo (ex. hoppy, malty, etc.). The taste is in a class of its own in comparison to most pumpkin ales. P: No alcohol burn, no hoppy sizzle, the malt is disguised as gourd. The minimal lacing that hits the glass quickly falls back into the dessert. O: 9% AVB? I couldnít taste it. This stuff is just flat out dangerous. I know Iím copping out, but I really want to try this one again next to Schlaflyís. My wife likes Schlaflyís better, but Iím still not sure. The nose on this one alone may put it over the edge.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
EinStein (52) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - SEP 24, 2011
Had this on tap about 10 miles from the brewery, nice and fresh. Pours deep orangish with a quickly dissipating head. Aroma is of pumpkin, obviously, with some sweetness almost reminiscent of brown sugar, and some spices. Taste is even heavier on the pumpkin and sweetness, finishes smooth at first, but got a little harsher as the beer warmed. Overall, I adore just about every brew Southern Tier produces, and this one is certainly no exception, absolutely superb pumpkin ale.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Terp1977 (52) - Frederick, Maryland, USA - OCT 7, 2012
The best pumpkin beer I have had. Buddies and I did a pumpkin beer tasting and this one was almost perfect. Tastes like sweetened pumpkin pie. Still has a little kick/hop to it. The best

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
mandylee (50) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 17, 2013
I heard a lot of hype for this, so I am disappointed. Very strong on the cinnamon with a baked "flavor" at the end. Definitely have had pumpkin beers I like more...