overall

RATINGS: 1770   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.74   SEASONAL: Autumn   EST. CALORIES: 258   ABV: 8.6%
Pumking is an ode to Pķca, a creature of Celtic folklore, who is both feared and respected by those who believe in it. Pķca is said to waylay travelers throughout the night, tossing them on its back, and providing them the ride of their lives, from which they return forever changed. Brewed in the spirit of All Hallows Eve, a time of the year when spirits can make contact with the physical world and when magic is most potent. Pour Pumking into a goblet and allow itís alluring spirit to overflow. As spicy aromas present themselves, let itís deep copper color entrance you as your journey into this mystical brew has just begun. As the first drops touch your tongue a magical spell will bewitch your taste buds making it difficult to escape the Pumking.
2007 - Brown Label 7.9% ABV w/text & logo on bottlecap
2008 - Brown Label 9.0% ABV w/text & logo on bottlecap
2009 - Orange Label 9.0% ABV w/text & logo on bottlecap
2010 - Orange Label 9.0% ABV w/logo only on bottlecap
2011 - Orange wood grain background label 8.6% ABV and Southern Tier logotype in two lines.
2012 - Same as 2011 label 8.6% ABV, silver/black/white bottlecap.
2013 - Same as 2012 label and bottle cap 8.6% ABV, date stamp in green text.
2014 - New label design w/orange/white/green, 8.6% ABV

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Papsoe (25085) - Frederiksberg, DENMARK - DEC 1, 2007
(Bottle 65 cl) Courtesy of kmweaver. Slightly hazy, pale amber golden with a small, off-white head. Very oddly spiced nose. Medium body with sweet caramel and then a broad palette of spices with cardamom and cinnamon sticking out. Subdued bitterness. This is....odd....in a way thatís really hard to get friendly with. 301107

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
Hank1980 (942) - Athens, Georgia, USA - FEB 15, 2008
UPDATED: OCT 5, 2008 Not my favorite pumpkin beer. Appearance was a nice and amber. Aroma was strangely sweet was a heavy veg and spice smell. The taste was also a little strange, with heavy spices and more of the pumpkin/veggie. Not for me. There are much bettter pumpkin brews out there.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Boutip (4775) - Gatineau, Quebec, CANADA - FEB 20, 2008
Bottle courtesy of Hogtownharry: Poured a deep clear orangey color ale with a medium size foamy head with OK retention but no lacing. Aroma of cinnamon with loads of pumpkin. Taste is also dominated by loads of pumpkin and some cinnamon and light cloves. Body has a nice creamy texture with some average carbonation. I was really enthralled by this beer; I thought there were too much pumpkin purťe and not enough spices. I guess I am more of a spices kind of guy then a pumpkin.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
Chapel (468) - Levittown, New York, USA - FEB 22, 2008
I am sad to say that this was a huge disappointment. Tasted more like they had simply added pumpkin spice syrup into an equally heavy beer. In the end, it just didnít mesh well and I might as well have been drinking the stuff I used to use to make a Pimpkin Latte at Starbucks. Oh well, I hope that other Southern Tier offerings arenít overhyped also.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
41cubs (249) - , New Jersey, USA - AUG 25, 2008
UPDATED: FEB 10, 2009 bomber. 2008. First pumpkin ale for me. Definately much more pumpkin and vanilla flavors than spice. Pours yellowish orange with low carb and minimal head. Smells really nice fall, candied earth, pumpkin, vanilla like, warm smell. Taste is of sweetness and pumpkin, without any hearty nutmeg or cinnamon flavors to balance it. Taste more of a pumpkin ice cream or pudding than a pie. Good experience but it is hard to get through 22 oz. on your own due to the lack of balance. Very light viscosity.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
taalhiker (190) - Dayton, Ohio, USA - AUG 29, 2008
Bottle. Tasted during local beer tasting at grocery store. Potent pumpkin aroma. Pours orange without a lot of carbonation Taste: Very little spice and heavy on the pumpkin. Not my style. I prefer more spice and less pumpkin flavor.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
jgentgesdo (672) - Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA - OCT 13, 2008
Pours clear amber with no head. Nose is pumpkin and allspice. Very strong creamy pumpkin flavor, tons of vanilla... almost like drinking pumpkin flavored creme brulee. Very strong alcohol note. Quite sweet. Strong spicy/bitter finish. Not doing it for me.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Beardface (1517) - Eugene, Oregon, USA - OCT 19, 2008
I’ve never enjoyed pumpkin beers in the past, but I had also never tried one this highly rated so I figured I’d give it a shot...turns out I just really don’t like the style. Very powerful smell of cloves and pumpkin, and taste is just too overpoweringly pumpkiny. Great job of masking the alcohol content though.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
jimbowood (1036) - Freeport, Georgia, USA - OCT 6, 2007
Bottle courtesy of Dough77. I may have gotten an infected bottle. Upon first sip, pumpkin, cinnamon, and nutmeg hit you on the tongue, but the finish is rotten vegetables. I drank 1/4 the bottle and poured the other out. Terrible. Surely an infected bottle.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
grandet (501) - Scranton, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 14, 2007
Way too much in the spice department for me. The smell even made me sick. Not as good as I thiought it wiould be