overall

RATINGS: 1541   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.83   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
An Uninhibited Infusion of Hops. We continue our commitment to innovation with our most aggressive offering yet Unearthly is a manifestation of the brewers crafts skillfully balancing art and the forces of nature to produce a divine liquid. Delicately pour a taste into a fluted glass. Smell the enchanting aromas of the hops come forward as your first sip divulges this beer’s fervent soul. To underestimate Unearthly is to trifle with the mysteries of the universe so please consume wisely. The ABV went from 9.8% to 11%.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
ABUSEDGOAT (2323) - California, USA - MAY 28, 2006
After the 12% ABV mess that was Java I was really scared to try an 11% ABV IIPA. Anyway...clear amber body with a moderate head, average lacing. Aroma is a blast of hops.. go figure. Got the usual stuff like grapefruit and citrus as well as some other fruits, but also vanilla. Slighty soapy taste that I can’t quite target. After looking at the ingrediants on the bottle I’m guessing red wheat but I have no idea... whatever it is... I don’t like it. I think the problem on top of that is that without that flavor, this would be a fairly bland (bland still scores well for IIPAs) example and also a bit too sweet. I dunno, I was hoping for something more bitter when I saw 153 IBUs.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
notalush (4766) - Denver, Colorado, USA - MAY 28, 2006
Bomber - bright orange color with smallish ring of off-white lace - quite a sweet, orange aroma, with highly resinous hops, and an almost maple syrup stickiness to it - a bit of a phenolic smell hiding back there - a bit sweet at first, especially when cold, but, counterintuitively, this sweetness actually mellows as the beer warms - the hops are extremely bitter, without being abrassive, which is quite an accomplishment in and of itself - well-masked alcohol, but a little thin in the middle - sticky, syrupy sweetness comes back in the finish, along with more piney hop character, making me feel like I’m sucking maple syrup directly out of a tree - I would say aging would help this, but it will probably just get even more sweet as the hops mellow - not bad, but the cloying sweetness at the end kind of kills it - needs a bit of tweeking.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
gputty (456) - Virgina Beach, Virginia, USA - MAY 28, 2006
Shared with Immy. From bomber. Dark orange pour with off white head. Nose is resiny pine with orange peel. Flavor has a giant malt backbone with thick organic hops. Big bitter aftertaste. Well done IIPA.

Immy (1955) - Virginia Beach, USA - MAY 27, 2006
Bomber from The_Epeeist. Thanks Chris! Dark orange pour, slight white head. A lightly malty nose belies the strong, bitter grapefruit zest taste. The finish is dry, and sweeter that the initial flavor. Excellent IIPA!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
FROTHINGSLOSH (4785) - GREENSBURG, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 24, 2006
UPDATED: MAR 26, 2011 I have been looking forward to trying this one as I am rather fond of the brewer. Sampled from a 22 oz brown bottle this beer pours a dark caramel color with a huge tan head. The aroma is a luscious mix of sweet grapefruit, pine, pineapple and fruit cocktail. The aroma is rather reminiscent of pineapple upside-down cake. The flavor is a tad disappointing given the wonderful aroma - but is still quite nice. There is strong pine and grapefruit with sweet malts. The sweet maltiness lingers on the palate. The body was decent but a bit thinner than I am used to for an IIPA. Very Nice!

Naven (1000) - Poway, California, USA - MAY 21, 2006
Shared a bomber with Bartzilla: We were both impressed with this one: Very nice, hoppy, strong, well balanced beer. There really isn’t much more to say about this one.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Bartzilla (532) - La Mesa, California, USA - MAY 20, 2006
Thanks Mr. Noth for the bomber(s)! I’ve been waiting to try this ever since I saw the review on the Good Beer Blog. Growing up in Upstate NY, before my prime (which is NOW), my palate was only subjected to the foul graces of Genesee, Matts/Utica and, more recently on a trip home, this Seneca stuff. All gross. Matts even make Pete’s Wicked now! Can you believe that? Ugh. Anyway, this defies all the stereotypes I’ve made in the last couple of sentences. Brutal hop nose but the flavor is more refined, toning down on the hops to give way to some interesting malt notes. In short, I LOVE IT. This is pretty much exactly as I hoped it had tasted and then some. Being from San Diego, I’ve had my share of Imperials, but this is unique enough to compete. The 11% must be hidden in there somewhere. I totally dig this ale. Thanks again. Now, I want more.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
DocLock (7703) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 19, 2006
Thanks to Ohio Dad for this one. The pour was ruby with a 2-finger off-white head. Marvelous appearance. The aroma citric and fruity hops, caramel malt, with the huge honeydew/mango/tangerine/pineapple quadrafecta (or is that superfecta). The taste initially hits you in the face with piney and tropical fruity hops, and the caramel malt base reminds you that this is a well balanced beer in spite of the hop bill and the 11% alcohol. The palate is dense, very sticky, velvety, complex. I found this one to be similar to Dreadnaught, but not quite worthy of a perfecto. This one is outstanding. If you are a grizzled, pessimistic hophead like myself, then this beer will give you great joy.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jb (2146) - Rochester, New York, USA - MAY 17, 2006
UPDATED: OCT 31, 2006 Dark orange with a thin white head. Hit with a heavy dosage of grapefruit, malt,and hop flower aromas. Alcohol also somewhat noticeable. Oily feel to this at 1st, lemony palate, then there is a bit of a hop bite and a dry dry finish. Definitely not too many hops for me though. A masterpiece.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
GregClow (2848) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - MAY 17, 2006
Bottle shared with a bunch of folks - courtesy of tupalev. Wow - having this after the Avery Maharaja was quite a one-two punch! Clear, dark ruby-amber colour. Juicy hops on the nose with a bit of smokiness. Flavour is big and bold, lots of citrusy hops, but a strong malt backbone to balance it out. Hides that 11% amazingly well. Fantastic stuff - I gots to get me a few bottles of this for myself.