overall

RATINGS: 1575   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.83   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
An Uninhibited Infusion of Hops. We continue our commitment to innovation with our most aggressive offering yet Unearthly is a manifestation of the brewers crafts skillfully balancing art and the forces of nature to produce a divine liquid. Delicately pour a taste into a fluted glass. Smell the enchanting aromas of the hops come forward as your first sip divulges this beerís fervent soul. To underestimate Unearthly is to trifle with the mysteries of the universe so please consume wisely. The ABV went from 9.8% to 11%.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Bartzilla (556) - La Mesa, California, USA - MAY 20, 2006
Thanks Mr. Noth for the bomber(s)! Iíve been waiting to try this ever since I saw the review on the Good Beer Blog. Growing up in Upstate NY, before my prime (which is NOW), my palate was only subjected to the foul graces of Genesee, Matts/Utica and, more recently on a trip home, this Seneca stuff. All gross. Matts even make Peteís Wicked now! Can you believe that? Ugh. Anyway, this defies all the stereotypes Iíve made in the last couple of sentences. Brutal hop nose but the flavor is more refined, toning down on the hops to give way to some interesting malt notes. In short, I LOVE IT. This is pretty much exactly as I hoped it had tasted and then some. Being from San Diego, Iíve had my share of Imperials, but this is unique enough to compete. The 11% must be hidden in there somewhere. I totally dig this ale. Thanks again. Now, I want more.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
DocLock (8184) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 19, 2006
Thanks to Ohio Dad for this one. The pour was ruby with a 2-finger off-white head. Marvelous appearance. The aroma citric and fruity hops, caramel malt, with the huge honeydew/mango/tangerine/pineapple quadrafecta (or is that superfecta). The taste initially hits you in the face with piney and tropical fruity hops, and the caramel malt base reminds you that this is a well balanced beer in spite of the hop bill and the 11% alcohol. The palate is dense, very sticky, velvety, complex. I found this one to be similar to Dreadnaught, but not quite worthy of a perfecto. This one is outstanding. If you are a grizzled, pessimistic hophead like myself, then this beer will give you great joy.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jb (2346) - Rochester, New York, USA - MAY 17, 2006
UPDATED: OCT 31, 2006 Dark orange with a thin white head. Hit with a heavy dosage of grapefruit, malt,and hop flower aromas. Alcohol also somewhat noticeable. Oily feel to this at 1st, lemony palate, then there is a bit of a hop bite and a dry dry finish. Definitely not too many hops for me though. A masterpiece.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
GregClow (2932) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - MAY 17, 2006
Bottle shared with a bunch of folks - courtesy of tupalev. Wow - having this after the Avery Maharaja was quite a one-two punch! Clear, dark ruby-amber colour. Juicy hops on the nose with a bit of smokiness. Flavour is big and bold, lots of citrusy hops, but a strong malt backbone to balance it out. Hides that 11% amazingly well. Fantastic stuff - I gots to get me a few bottles of this for myself.

blankboy (6359) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - MAY 15, 2006
Bottle shared with HogTownHarry, GregClow, tupalev, jerc, R. and the rest of the gang -- courtesy of tupalev. Pours a clear copper-orange with an average size diminishing off-white head. Great aroma of resin and citrus hops with just enough malt to balance it out. Delicious big hoppy flavour, again with just enough malt to back it up -- very well balanced. No way this is 11%!? Medium to full bodied. This is a fantastic I2PA -- Iím ecstatic that I have a few bottles of this all for myself!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
brentfeesh (1208) - Mansfield, Ohio, USA - MAY 15, 2006
Enjoyed with friends on my first weekend off in 5 weeks. Pours copper Ė orange and very clear. Quick to dissipate head and good looking carbonation. Big malty sweet aroma marked by a pine hop presences and a light metallic hint as it warmed. Big malt body on this one that included a chocolate like taste in the finish. All the usual malts you might expect through the body (caramel, etc) with a great hop bill. Very nice mix of citrus and spice, but the chocolate malty finish really makes the bitterness seem like a bitter dark chocolate. Creamy round body. This is like ruination with more malt and more sweetness.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Gorbalev (2974) - Ontario, CANADA - MAY 14, 2006
My bottle shared with a bunch of fine folks. Malty, earthy taste. Oily, resiny, lots of body. Medium orange with a solid white head. Very hoppy, balanced, and extremely drinkable (11%? No way). Best of the tasting for me and one of Southern Tierís best yet.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jercraigs (8153) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - MAY 14, 2006
UPDATED: JAN 5, 2007 January 2007. Did not take detailed notes on this one, but it was fantastic, all I wrote down was "+1 to 2 aroma, and +1 flavour". Great stuff! <P> May 2006. Bottle. Dark orangey amber body with a moderate beige head. Big resiny hops in the aroma carry over to the flavour, with just a hint of citrus. Pleasant supporting malt. Medium bodied palate (3+). I personally like more citrus in my IPAs but this is quite nice and dangerously quaffable at such a high alcohol content. Very nice. 7/3/8/4/17 - 3.9

HogTownHarry (6136) - Toronto (Harbourfront), Ontario, CANADA - MAY 14, 2006
Bottle (650ml). Shared with blankboy, GregClow, jerc, tupalev, DougShoemaker, R and others - tupalevís bottle. Bright clear deepish copper with an average head. Some fruity malt sweetness, but mostly hops - resin + citrus - not overwhelming, solid. Taste features the hops even more, rich, almost oily resiny bitter hops, with a very long bitter finish, enough somewhat nutty light roast malt to keep the bitterness somewhat in check. Quite an astringent mouthfeel - made me thirsty! - with a very long finish and I nearly fell out of my chair when I saw 11% ABV - I couldnít detect much alcohol character at all, scary. Great I2PA, right up there with most of them.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
ultraspank (867) - Alverca, Lisboa, PORTUGAL - MAY 13, 2006
Nose of pine, burnt resin, some alcohol, fruit & perfume. Pours a clear copper. The sticky, fluffy, off-white head has average retention & good lace. The flavor is cereal malt entwined with alcohol warmth & hops blast. Tastes intricately knitted. The finish is bready, bittersweet, and acidic. The full body is syrupy, and soft.