overall

RATINGS: 1618   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.83/5   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
An Uninhibited Infusion of Hops. We continue our commitment to innovation with our most aggressive offering yet Unearthly is a manifestation of the brewers crafts skillfully balancing art and the forces of nature to produce a divine liquid. Delicately pour a taste into a fluted glass. Smell the enchanting aromas of the hops come forward as your first sip divulges this beerís fervent soul. To underestimate Unearthly is to trifle with the mysteries of the universe so please consume wisely. The ABV went from 9.8% to 11%.

Immy (1955) - Virginia Beach, USA - MAY 27, 2006
Bomber from The_Epeeist. Thanks Chris! Dark orange pour, slight white head. A lightly malty nose belies the strong, bitter grapefruit zest taste. The finish is dry, and sweeter that the initial flavor. Excellent IIPA!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
FROTHINGSLOSH (6641) - GREENSBURG, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 24, 2006
UPDATED: MAR 26, 2011 I have been looking forward to trying this one as I am rather fond of the brewer. Sampled from a 22 oz brown bottle this beer pours a dark caramel color with a huge tan head. The aroma is a luscious mix of sweet grapefruit, pine, pineapple and fruit cocktail. The aroma is rather reminiscent of pineapple upside-down cake. The flavor is a tad disappointing given the wonderful aroma - but is still quite nice. There is strong pine and grapefruit with sweet malts. The sweet maltiness lingers on the palate. The body was decent but a bit thinner than I am used to for an IIPA. Very Nice!

Naven (1000) - Poway, California, USA - MAY 21, 2006
Shared a bomber with Bartzilla: We were both impressed with this one: Very nice, hoppy, strong, well balanced beer. There really isnít much more to say about this one.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Bartzilla (617) - La Mesa, California, USA - MAY 20, 2006
Thanks Mr. Noth for the bomber(s)! Iíve been waiting to try this ever since I saw the review on the Good Beer Blog. Growing up in Upstate NY, before my prime (which is NOW), my palate was only subjected to the foul graces of Genesee, Matts/Utica and, more recently on a trip home, this Seneca stuff. All gross. Matts even make Peteís Wicked now! Can you believe that? Ugh. Anyway, this defies all the stereotypes Iíve made in the last couple of sentences. Brutal hop nose but the flavor is more refined, toning down on the hops to give way to some interesting malt notes. In short, I LOVE IT. This is pretty much exactly as I hoped it had tasted and then some. Being from San Diego, Iíve had my share of Imperials, but this is unique enough to compete. The 11% must be hidden in there somewhere. I totally dig this ale. Thanks again. Now, I want more.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
DocLock (9876) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 19, 2006
Thanks to Ohio Dad for this one. The pour was ruby with a 2-finger off-white head. Marvelous appearance. The aroma citric and fruity hops, caramel malt, with the huge honeydew/mango/tangerine/pineapple quadrafecta (or is that superfecta). The taste initially hits you in the face with piney and tropical fruity hops, and the caramel malt base reminds you that this is a well balanced beer in spite of the hop bill and the 11% alcohol. The palate is dense, very sticky, velvety, complex. I found this one to be similar to Dreadnaught, but not quite worthy of a perfecto. This one is outstanding. If you are a grizzled, pessimistic hophead like myself, then this beer will give you great joy.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jb (2899) - Rochester, New York, USA - MAY 17, 2006
UPDATED: OCT 31, 2006 Dark orange with a thin white head. Hit with a heavy dosage of grapefruit, malt,and hop flower aromas. Alcohol also somewhat noticeable. Oily feel to this at 1st, lemony palate, then there is a bit of a hop bite and a dry dry finish. Definitely not too many hops for me though. A masterpiece.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
GregClow (3156) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - MAY 17, 2006
Bottle shared with a bunch of folks - courtesy of tupalev. Wow - having this after the Avery Maharaja was quite a one-two punch! Clear, dark ruby-amber colour. Juicy hops on the nose with a bit of smokiness. Flavour is big and bold, lots of citrusy hops, but a strong malt backbone to balance it out. Hides that 11% amazingly well. Fantastic stuff - I gots to get me a few bottles of this for myself.

blankboy (7180) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - MAY 15, 2006
Bottle shared with HogTownHarry, GregClow, tupalev, jerc, R. and the rest of the gang -- courtesy of tupalev. Pours a clear copper-orange with an average size diminishing off-white head. Great aroma of resin and citrus hops with just enough malt to balance it out. Delicious big hoppy flavour, again with just enough malt to back it up -- very well balanced. No way this is 11%!? Medium to full bodied. This is a fantastic I2PA -- Iím ecstatic that I have a few bottles of this all for myself!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
brentfeesh (1208) - Mansfield, Ohio, USA - MAY 15, 2006
Enjoyed with friends on my first weekend off in 5 weeks. Pours copper Ė orange and very clear. Quick to dissipate head and good looking carbonation. Big malty sweet aroma marked by a pine hop presences and a light metallic hint as it warmed. Big malt body on this one that included a chocolate like taste in the finish. All the usual malts you might expect through the body (caramel, etc) with a great hop bill. Very nice mix of citrus and spice, but the chocolate malty finish really makes the bitterness seem like a bitter dark chocolate. Creamy round body. This is like ruination with more malt and more sweetness.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Gorbalev (3000) - Ontario, CANADA - MAY 14, 2006
My bottle shared with a bunch of fine folks. Malty, earthy taste. Oily, resiny, lots of body. Medium orange with a solid white head. Very hoppy, balanced, and extremely drinkable (11%? No way). Best of the tasting for me and one of Southern Tierís best yet.