overall
Brewed by Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu (InBev)
Style: Doppelbock
Munich, Germany

RATINGS: 1996   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.63/5   EST. CALORIES: 228   ABV: 7.6%
The classic German dark beer, bottom fermented ’Doppel Bock’. Full bodied with a deep dark color and rich roasted malt flavor.

Supposedly only available in USA, at least not in Germany.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
fly (1459) - austin, Tejas, Texas, USA - OCT 8, 2003
Spaten - my first Bavarian and thus always brings back memories. Thick and malty. Sometimes when I'm not ready/not in the mood it's just too malty and rich. Rich and roasty, big and just gives me an old world sensation. Even if it's a misconception on my part, I'll keep living in my lederhosen fantasy.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
beerhoto (14) - Terre haute, Indiana, USA - OCT 2, 2003
Brown in color with lighter creamy head. Not as sweet as other dopplebocks I have tried. Medium to full bodied, with an average lasting sweet finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
BrewEd (182) - Wilmington, North Carolina, USA - OCT 1, 2003
Sweet malty nose; minimal head without much lacing. The roasted malt flavor with hints of fruit and chocolate is smoothly complex. Not as complex as Ayinger's offering but top notch none the less. I'm amazed at how inexpensive this is for the quality. A wonderful offering perfect for enjoying in the coming fall weather.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
aaronh (201) - McMurray, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 29, 2003
This dark brown beer pours with an off white head that fills my pint glass. The head slowly recedes to a rocky layer of foam that clings to the sides of the glass. The aroma is all malt sweetness, with a slight huskiness. The taste is roasted malt, caramel, and sweetness. Notes of chocolate and a slight smokiness are present as well. Very complex flavor. The alcohol is noticable on the finish, and it warms the throat on the way down. The finish also has a lingering sweetness, most likely also from the alcohol. This is not a beer for the hop fan, but malt lovers should but it by the case. The mouthfeel is very full and creamy.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
GEOBRAU (188) - Mesa, Arizona, USA - SEP 28, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 19, 2003 On tap in a small town pizza parlour where they reffered to it as "Spaten", I had to probe further to get the kid behind the counter to go over read the tap handle and let me know what kind of "spaten" it was. Head had dissapated shortly after pouring. malty aroma, strong malty nose giving way to sweet biscuit flavors which gave way to a pleasent alcohaulic warming. Excellent beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
adwoan99 (244) - Ft. Worth, Texas, USA - SEP 28, 2003
Very nice strong flavour - spices, raising. Very tart palate, but smooth. Very complex beer - I can easily see why it's one of my friend's favourites. I could drink this every day without getting tired of it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
DasFass (4) - GERMANY - SEP 27, 2003 does not count
this beer is maybe a little dry and slighltly acidic............ but is good in its category prost prost kamerad

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
stubby (334) - Santee, California, USA - SEP 24, 2003
Very little hop aroma in this beautiful dark ruby/brown lager. Smell is of unfermented wort, like homebrew before you pitch the yeast. Nice and sweet like it should be, with a full mouthfeel. Slight twang on the finish that just keeps it from being cloying. I want to brew a clone!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
JoeM500 (1908) - Crown Point, Indiana, USA - SEP 17, 2003
Superbly sweet, and higher in alcohol (barely hidden), this is a perfect example of the style, very middle of the road, but very authentic doppelbock. Malts are very dominant, overly sweet to my palate (bordering on disgusting).

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
bac080 (398) - Bloomington, Illinois, USA - AUG 22, 2003
This really kicked me in the head. I had much higher hopes for it. It wasn't BAD but I've had better.