overall
Brewed by Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu (InBev)
Style: Doppelbock
Munich, Germany

RATINGS: 1893   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.63   EST. CALORIES: 228   ABV: 7.6%
The classic German dark beer, bottom fermented ’Doppel Bock’. Full bodied with a deep dark color and rich roasted malt flavor.

Supposedly only available in USA, at least not in Germany.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Skred (107) - Houma, Louisiana, USA - MAR 18, 2002
Nice dark color, big head, very malty aroma with a lot of alcohol. Flavor also very malty, a tiny bit sweeter than I’d like (I prefer Paulaner’s Salvator), but overall very good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
unixweb (237) - Sherman, Texas, USA - MAR 9, 2002
Such a nice dark color, and a light tan head! The aroma is malty, a little on the burnt side, and sweet. The taste is exactly that too...VERY malty and sweet from start to finish. Sometimes there are a few burnt notes in there, sometimes not. To be a mass-produced doppel, it’s more complex than most I’ve tasted. In some ways, I like this as well as Celebrator, and it’s a little easier to drink...finishes a bit smoother than Celebrator, at least to me. Overall, one of my favorites of this style.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
AxeMaster221 (343) - Portland, Oregon, USA - MAR 6, 2002
Great when you consider how its mass produced.Beautiful color, a nice malty flavor and a smooth finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
CrimsonGhost1971 (188) - USA - MAR 5, 2002
Excellent beer. Sweet taste and tends to lay heavy. One of the best German brews I have had.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
TChrome (1399) - Bedford, Texas, USA - FEB 21, 2002
Maybe overly complex for my tastes. Tasty, but not a beer for every day. Enjoyable.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Beer Guy99 (250) - Maineville, Ohio, USA - FEB 15, 2002
Deliciously malty sweet but so rich and flavorful. This wonderful doppelbock looks as good as it tastes. Hearty and smooth. Alcohol is hardly noticable in the flavor, but believe me, it’s there. This is the way a doppelbock should be brewed. My sample was fine, but like someone else mentioned, I was surprised that the brewery would put a beer of this quality in a green bottle where it can be light struck. Risky move but the beer is really great.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
deacon34599 (4) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 10, 2002 does not count
Definitely top 5 for me. Best when drank out of 2 liter glass boots w/ friends.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
sladek (2) - USA - FEB 8, 2002 does not count
excellent beer, great malt flavor and aroma, intense malt sweetness and mouthfeel, my favorite doppelbock to date

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
NDmullet (208) - South Bend, Indiana, USA - JAN 31, 2002
Lucky me, I’m the 100th person to rate Optimator. This beer looks about as appetizing to me as is possible for a lager. Fine beads of bubbles contribute to a small, lingering head, which leaves a fair amount of lacing on the glass. The aroma is full of sweet, woody malt. Mouthfeel is sticky with a slight tinge of carbonation. The flavor is dominated by sweet/slightly sour malt, which could be a bit cloying, but is balanced well by a touch of hops in the finish. The alcohol content is virtually absent on the palate, but makes its presence known if you have more than one or two. Very good stuff, I’d like to have this one around all the time.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Darkover (1512) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - JAN 28, 2002
Dark amber, almost no head. Taste is sweet and syrupy. Bittersweet finish.