overall
Brewed by Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu (InBev)
Style: Doppelbock
Munich, Germany

RATINGS: 1894   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.63   EST. CALORIES: 228   ABV: 7.6%
The classic German dark beer, bottom fermented ’Doppel Bock’. Full bodied with a deep dark color and rich roasted malt flavor.

Supposedly only available in USA, at least not in Germany.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Darkover (1512) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - JAN 28, 2002
Dark amber, almost no head. Taste is sweet and syrupy. Bittersweet finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Brewmaster (168) - USA - JAN 27, 2002
Very good. Highly recommended

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
beerstop (173) - Roanoke, Virginia, USA - JAN 23, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 5, 2003 I've been having a hard time trying to decipher this one. Every time I drink a bottle I think I'm tasting teriyaki flavors. I just can't think of anything inspiring to say about this one, but I don't think that its bad at all, just not something I really care for.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
cathcacr (630) - Oregon, USA - JAN 20, 2002
Doppelbocks are my favorite and this presents a good taste (most of the time) but doesn’t match up to the two I consider the best among those I’ve had, the Weltenburg Asam-Bock and the Ayinger Celebrator. Plus, I am peeved by the green bottles. On more than one occasion I’ve had a bottle skunked up on me. Not something I’m desperate to go out and buy again.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Beerhound (16) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - JAN 12, 2002
Very good dopplebock, and at a decent price. This is not the best dopplebock out there, IMHO, but there is nothing about this beer I do not like. It’s a big mouthfull of malty goodness with just enough hop to balance it out. The color and aroma is fantastic.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
P-tor44 (886) - Anchorage, Alaska, USA - JAN 12, 2002
’hey, lets get some of that Optomitrist’ Radical Rob. Dark maroon in color with an orange hue. aroma is not as strong as i would have expected. big and creamy with loads of malt. much bigger hop pressence then salvator, some what sticky and acidic. still a wolrd class beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Aurelius (3908) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - JAN 12, 2002
One of the best deals on a quality beer ($6.99/6 High ABV). A good dark German beer -- good palate without being too heavy, high ABV, roast/bitter flavor. I prefer English/Scotch/Irish brews, but this is one of my more common purchases.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
krisbierjaeger (844) - dolores, Colorado, USA - JAN 10, 2002
UPDATED: OCT 10, 2003 lishen, yull relly -hic -love thish beer. i dig the copper label. pun (the two spades) actually not intended but i'll let it stand). optimator is a perennial favorite, good with guitars, snowstorms and ol' friends. serious malti-booziness that i associate with such brain-benders as carlsberg elephant (tho i haven't had them side by side). it's serious stuff, it should come with a child-proof safety lid. it's not my everyday beer, but i reccommend keeping it on hand for those times when you accidently purchase some weak-weenie beer and need to fortify it. a dash of optimator works wonders on a timid beer. re-rate: the full earthy maltiness is lush with dark fruits--this one tends to grow on me as i get older.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
TheRimmer (483) - Florida, USA - JAN 8, 2002
hot diggity damn! This juice’ll knock you on your tailbone. The malt presence is beyond high (im a hop guy usually), and it got me a lil sick after a few. But i still felt no pain. Very full and strong, you can taste the alcohol content, but its not overpowering or overly bothersome. My first doppelbock.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
HarmonKill-a-Brew (407) - Wilmar, Arkansas, USA - JAN 1, 2002
UPDATED: OCT 10, 2009 This was a very good beer, but I was expecting a little more. Flavor seems to deminish after first few drinks. Update: I added a point for flavor. Maybe I drank it too cold the first time I tried it. The last few times I have had it, more of the big malt flavor has come through and followed through.