overall
Brewed by Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu (InBev)
Style: Doppelbock
Munich, Germany

RATINGS: 1916   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.63   EST. CALORIES: 228   ABV: 7.6%
The classic German dark beer, bottom fermented ’Doppel Bock’. Full bodied with a deep dark color and rich roasted malt flavor.

Supposedly only available in USA, at least not in Germany.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
CourageBest (51) - Katy, Texas, USA - APR 20, 2002
Decent beer for a good price ($1.59 here in Tx). A bit too alcoholy. Not as good as some, better than most.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
Drew (2411) - Kent, Ohio, USA - APR 15, 2002
dark brown color, medium head. Medium to thick body. Sweet slightly roasty malts. A bit syrupy if swallowed too quickly. nice aftertaste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
spydog (75) - Chandler, Arizona, USA - APR 14, 2002
Rich flavor with a complex sweetness. I think I taste a raisin or something in there. Not the alcholic bite that you would expect from a 7.2% beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Sickboy282 (1115) - San Diego, California, USA - APR 13, 2002
A very decent dopplebock. Smooth, wnd with a unique taste with out the alcohol bite. Probably my favorite Spaten beer

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
HighlanderOne (994) - Bergen County, New Jersey, USA - APR 9, 2002
UPDATED: DEC 30, 2011 Rerate 12/2011. Poured from bottle. Aroma of brown sugar with a bit of ginger. Dark walnut, tan head. Flavors of molasses, nut, earthy hops, a bit of spice and alcohol. Birch beer aftertaste. I like the balance of flavors in this. Ok finish. Still a good choice.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Hugerat (452) - somerville, Massachusetts, USA - APR 4, 2002
I wasn’t impressed with this beer. It’s a little more red than I like a double bock to be and the flavor isn’t very complex. It’s too sweet on the palate.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Zach Diesel (906) - Sisters, Oregon, USA - APR 4, 2002
Jumps out and surprises your tastebuds, plus an awesome red color. Another plus is the fact that I’ve seen various deals on it across the country!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
PBOYNY (316) - Westchester, New York, USA - APR 2, 2002
had this staight off the tap, and it was VERY GOOD, nice burnt flavor, very creamy,nice taste with plenty of zing.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
tourette (210) - Seattle, Washington, USA - APR 2, 2002
This wasn’t as good as I hoped. It wasn’t bad, but was a bit too strong. It had a slight flavor that reminded me of some cheap malt liquors that I’ve had. Maybe I just got a bad bottle though. My bottle said ’Imported’ on it, where the one in the picture has the foil. Could it be different somehow? Re-Rate: I tried this on tap and it was a 100 times better. Complex, yummy doppelbock taste. Full flavored, but not overpowerign like in the bottle. Very nice mouthfeel and aftertaste. I’m only increasing my rating marginally due to the lackluster bottle, but get it on tap if you can.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
quiksilverxtc99 (99) - USA - APR 1, 2002
MEAL IN A BOTTLE! malty aroma and very complex mixture of tastes as it goes down and finishes.