overall
Brewed by Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu (InBev)
Style: Doppelbock
Munich, Germany

RATINGS: 1912   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.63   EST. CALORIES: 228   ABV: 7.6%
The classic German dark beer, bottom fermented ’Doppel Bock’. Full bodied with a deep dark color and rich roasted malt flavor.

Supposedly only available in USA, at least not in Germany.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
HighlanderOne (986) - Bergen County, New Jersey, USA - APR 9, 2002
UPDATED: DEC 30, 2011 Rerate 12/2011. Poured from bottle. Aroma of brown sugar with a bit of ginger. Dark walnut, tan head. Flavors of molasses, nut, earthy hops, a bit of spice and alcohol. Birch beer aftertaste. I like the balance of flavors in this. Ok finish. Still a good choice.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Hugerat (452) - somerville, Massachusetts, USA - APR 4, 2002
I wasn’t impressed with this beer. It’s a little more red than I like a double bock to be and the flavor isn’t very complex. It’s too sweet on the palate.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Zach Diesel (906) - Sisters, Oregon, USA - APR 4, 2002
Jumps out and surprises your tastebuds, plus an awesome red color. Another plus is the fact that I’ve seen various deals on it across the country!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
PBOYNY (316) - Westchester, New York, USA - APR 2, 2002
had this staight off the tap, and it was VERY GOOD, nice burnt flavor, very creamy,nice taste with plenty of zing.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
tourette (208) - Seattle, Washington, USA - APR 2, 2002
This wasn’t as good as I hoped. It wasn’t bad, but was a bit too strong. It had a slight flavor that reminded me of some cheap malt liquors that I’ve had. Maybe I just got a bad bottle though. My bottle said ’Imported’ on it, where the one in the picture has the foil. Could it be different somehow? Re-Rate: I tried this on tap and it was a 100 times better. Complex, yummy doppelbock taste. Full flavored, but not overpowerign like in the bottle. Very nice mouthfeel and aftertaste. I’m only increasing my rating marginally due to the lackluster bottle, but get it on tap if you can.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
quiksilverxtc99 (99) - USA - APR 1, 2002
MEAL IN A BOTTLE! malty aroma and very complex mixture of tastes as it goes down and finishes.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
tapIluv99 (41) - Plano, Texas, USA - MAR 23, 2002
More you drink, sooner you will have to stop. One was enough for me.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
joet (2137) - Santa Rosa, California, USA - MAR 23, 2002
Well constructed, short of spectacular. Some maltiness in the nose with yeast wisps. A good late night brew. A great beer asserts itself with a great nose and I can’t find a nine or ten in this nose.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jayme9874 (756) - Hamburg, New York, USA - MAR 18, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 4, 2003 Deep ruby red, nice light tan head, very complex nose of rich malt, grain, caramel, chocolate, coffee and alcohol. Exceptional doppel here boys. Smooth mouthfeel, medium bodied and somewhat chewy. Starts out with sweet malt and caramel, middle is an intense sherry like quality thats fantastic. Could have a bit more bitterness but why complain. Delicious. Drinkability is off the charts.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Skred (107) - Houma, Louisiana, USA - MAR 18, 2002
Nice dark color, big head, very malty aroma with a lot of alcohol. Flavor also very malty, a tiny bit sweeter than I’d like (I prefer Paulaner’s Salvator), but overall very good.