overall
Brewed by Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu (InBev)
Style: Doppelbock
Munich, Germany

RATINGS: 1916   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.63   EST. CALORIES: 228   ABV: 7.6%
The classic German dark beer, bottom fermented ’Doppel Bock’. Full bodied with a deep dark color and rich roasted malt flavor.

Supposedly only available in USA, at least not in Germany.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
sladek (2) - USA - FEB 8, 2002 does not count
excellent beer, great malt flavor and aroma, intense malt sweetness and mouthfeel, my favorite doppelbock to date

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
NDmullet (208) - South Bend, Indiana, USA - JAN 31, 2002
Lucky me, I’m the 100th person to rate Optimator. This beer looks about as appetizing to me as is possible for a lager. Fine beads of bubbles contribute to a small, lingering head, which leaves a fair amount of lacing on the glass. The aroma is full of sweet, woody malt. Mouthfeel is sticky with a slight tinge of carbonation. The flavor is dominated by sweet/slightly sour malt, which could be a bit cloying, but is balanced well by a touch of hops in the finish. The alcohol content is virtually absent on the palate, but makes its presence known if you have more than one or two. Very good stuff, I’d like to have this one around all the time.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Darkover (1513) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - JAN 28, 2002
Dark amber, almost no head. Taste is sweet and syrupy. Bittersweet finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Brewmaster (168) - USA - JAN 27, 2002
Very good. Highly recommended

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
beerstop (173) - Roanoke, Virginia, USA - JAN 23, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 5, 2003 I've been having a hard time trying to decipher this one. Every time I drink a bottle I think I'm tasting teriyaki flavors. I just can't think of anything inspiring to say about this one, but I don't think that its bad at all, just not something I really care for.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
cathcacr (634) - Oregon, USA - JAN 20, 2002
Doppelbocks are my favorite and this presents a good taste (most of the time) but doesn’t match up to the two I consider the best among those I’ve had, the Weltenburg Asam-Bock and the Ayinger Celebrator. Plus, I am peeved by the green bottles. On more than one occasion I’ve had a bottle skunked up on me. Not something I’m desperate to go out and buy again.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Beerhound (16) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - JAN 12, 2002
Very good dopplebock, and at a decent price. This is not the best dopplebock out there, IMHO, but there is nothing about this beer I do not like. It’s a big mouthfull of malty goodness with just enough hop to balance it out. The color and aroma is fantastic.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
P-tor44 (886) - Anchorage, Alaska, USA - JAN 12, 2002
’hey, lets get some of that Optomitrist’ Radical Rob. Dark maroon in color with an orange hue. aroma is not as strong as i would have expected. big and creamy with loads of malt. much bigger hop pressence then salvator, some what sticky and acidic. still a wolrd class beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Aurelius (4115) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - JAN 12, 2002
One of the best deals on a quality beer ($6.99/6 High ABV). A good dark German beer -- good palate without being too heavy, high ABV, roast/bitter flavor. I prefer English/Scotch/Irish brews, but this is one of my more common purchases.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
krisbierjaeger (844) - dolores, Colorado, USA - JAN 10, 2002
UPDATED: OCT 10, 2003 lishen, yull relly -hic -love thish beer. i dig the copper label. pun (the two spades) actually not intended but i'll let it stand). optimator is a perennial favorite, good with guitars, snowstorms and ol' friends. serious malti-booziness that i associate with such brain-benders as carlsberg elephant (tho i haven't had them side by side). it's serious stuff, it should come with a child-proof safety lid. it's not my everyday beer, but i reccommend keeping it on hand for those times when you accidently purchase some weak-weenie beer and need to fortify it. a dash of optimator works wonders on a timid beer. re-rate: the full earthy maltiness is lush with dark fruits--this one tends to grow on me as i get older.