overall
Brewed by Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu (InBev)
Style: Doppelbock
Munich, Germany

RATINGS: 1956   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.64   EST. CALORIES: 228   ABV: 7.6%
The classic German dark beer, bottom fermented ’Doppel Bock’. Full bodied with a deep dark color and rich roasted malt flavor.

Supposedly only available in USA, at least not in Germany.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
TheRimmer (483) - Florida, USA - JAN 8, 2002
hot diggity damn! This juice’ll knock you on your tailbone. The malt presence is beyond high (im a hop guy usually), and it got me a lil sick after a few. But i still felt no pain. Very full and strong, you can taste the alcohol content, but its not overpowering or overly bothersome. My first doppelbock.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
HarmonKill-a-Brew (407) - Wilmar, Arkansas, USA - JAN 1, 2002
UPDATED: OCT 10, 2009 This was a very good beer, but I was expecting a little more. Flavor seems to deminish after first few drinks. Update: I added a point for flavor. Maybe I drank it too cold the first time I tried it. The last few times I have had it, more of the big malt flavor has come through and followed through.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
lovibond (115) - New York, USA - DEC 29, 2001
Rich, malty aroma, with traces of fusel, ethanol, and other fermentation by-products. Bright and quite dark, with beautiful ruby highlights. Full palate with malty sweetness -- just enough bitterness to balance. Only the slightest hint of chocolate, so as not to obscure the lucious maltiness of this world-class brew. Magnificent!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Dawghouse Brewers99 (91) - Exeter, California, USA - DEC 29, 2001
This is the what Dopplebocks are all about. Very malty and fragrant. Sweet yet not cloying. Better than a fine sherry. Very well made beer. I thoroughly enjoy this beer!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Kodos (205) - USA - DEC 26, 2001
Good but not great. Among the doppels this comes a distant 4 or 5. Celebrator is just so far ahead. The good thing about this offering tho is its price tag. Good beer--GREAT price!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Andrew196 (1096) - Katy, Texas, USA - DEC 24, 2001
didnt taste like the usual german, very sweet for one. I was so freakin drunk when I drank it that I didnt even pour it into a glass. I do believe that the alcohol content is 7.2%, not 7.5% as the site says. I will buy this again.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
baseballguy (246) - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA - DEC 23, 2001
Well deserving of its world fame. I first had this on tap at Chicago’s Map Room, later bottled; good both ways.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
All4Grog99 (22) - Albany, New York, USA - DEC 21, 2001
a good dark beer, but lacks the complexity that would set it past the best of its class. Dark and malty with licorice and alcohol overtones. Brought forward through a light body and malty aftertaste. Very good especially for the price, but doesn’t rank too highly among my favorites.

chump99 (1) - USA - DEC 14, 2001 does not count
This is the original beer! Check the label - ’Since 1397’(!) Everything else came after. This is a beer that counts. 2 shovels dig your grave twice as fast. Best enjoyed when alternating with Carlsberg Elephants.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Christian99 (3) - USA - DEC 7, 2001 does not count
This was hyped up as one of the world’s best dopplebocks. I am used to Augustinerbrau Maximator and it just doesn’t compare. I don’t find this to taste bad, but it was not worth all the hype.