overall

RATINGS: 956   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.48   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
No lightweight, Big Daddy I.P.A. tips the scales with a huge hop flavor and a dry, clean finish that leaves the scene without a trace.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
mwsf (360) - San Francisco, California, USA - MAY 12, 2002
Extremely crisp, refreshingly bitter IPA. This must be dry hopped with pounds of cascade hops. Excellent beer.

666seth (222) - California, USA - APR 23, 2002
All in one word : íhoppyí!! Nice color great taste with smooth mals and a..kickiní hops. Make sure that you try this one! Rerate: tried in on tap!! WOW even better than the bottled version!! THIS is THE IPA

Shadallion (534) - Sacramento, California, USA - APR 21, 2002
The ultimate in smooth, crisp drinkability in an IPA. On tap at Toronado, this is the REAL San Francisco treat. Pefectly balanced. The best beer being brewed in America today!!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
austinpowers (2826) - New York, New York, USA - APR 17, 2002
Very good for a hoppy beer, though not my cup of tea. Good balance.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
heykevin (1276) - Decorah, Iowa, USA - MAR 28, 2002
Believe the hype. I was slightly concerned that my expectations of this beer were going to effect my opinion, fortunately this beer is as good or better than its reputation. Goregous cleanliness of malt flavor lend to its drinkability and the hops, the hops. I was trying to get my nose so far into my glass that I must have looked like a complete idiot drinking this one. (Okay even more like an idiot) Simply awesome.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
DamnGoodBeer99 (13) - Shingle Springs, California, USA - MAR 14, 2002
One of the best IPAís and refreshingly íhoppyí of course. The roasted malts give it the flavoring I like. However, I think Stone & Bridgeport are a little hoppier. This stuff looks, smells, tastes great! Their Prohibition ALe is good too.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
ipaderek99 (6) - Mill Valley, California, USA - FEB 13, 2002 does not count
This is consistently the best IPA on the market. Huge hop nose, strong bittering and big hop flavor. Just enough malt to balane it out. Just the way I like it. No 20 out of 20 because nothing canít be improved upon. I donít want to hear any double negative crap either!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Aubrey (3432) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - FEB 9, 2002
UPDATED: NOV 26, 2007 This is like my third or fourth six-pack rating of this stuff and I seem to knock down points each time. Either this beer is extremely variable or its quality is degrading. Years ago, when I sampled this beer for the first time, it was one of the greatest IPAs I had ever tasted. Now, itís just slightly above average. Mainly, the hops seem to be less dynamic and aromatic as they used to be. Donít get me wrong, this isnít a bad IPA by any means; itís just not as good as I once knew it (on many occasions over many years). I donít know whatís going on. All of that said, itís still a pleasant and enjoyable IPA ... just not the masterpiece I once sampled.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
carlitos99 (184) - The Big Apple, USA - JAN 25, 2002
Iím going to try this one again before I say with conviction that it was too hoppy for me.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
Gusler (2653) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - JAN 5, 2002
UPDATED: NOV 27, 2003 I was involved in a discussion about painted labels the other day, and here is a brewery that produces some of the best painted labels, and some marvelous brews to boot, and one hell of a fine place to have a beer I might add, but its been a while since Iíve been over to San Francisco and it ranks high on my next trip list, thatís after I recover from the ďStrong Ale FestĒ.

As it sets in my glass the color a bemused orange-amber with the head plentiful in size, that is a bright white with the lace providing a nice blanket upon the glass. Wonderful aroma of hops at the front, crisp, clean and oh so inviting, just urging you to take the first sip. Front is sweetly malt, top is light to moderate in feel with the finish benignly acidic, the hops seductive in their spiciness, very dry and hop bitter aftertaste, another great IPA from the home of IPAís, California, well in my humble opinion.