overall

RATINGS: 292   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.41   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
tcfishler (65) - USA - DEC 7, 2006
Clear reddish garnet with a decent head for its ABV. Nose is expressive, with a bit of roastedness and a lot of piney hops. A little bit of fruit in the background. Palate is fairly lively, with a sensation of acidity but also a fair amount of sweetness. Plenty of bitterness courtesy of the hops, and a sharp alcoholic bite too. A bold hoppy barleywine, for fans of the style only.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
MrBendo (1064) - Swedesboro, New Jersey, USA - MAY 28, 2007
Clear orange/copper with a small head. Aroma of alcohol, bandages and toffee. After it warms a little; toffee still comes on strong, but the medicinal taste was a bit down. No hops present, but plenty of alcohol. Not Speakeasy’s best.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 10/20
Andrew196 (1091) - Katy, Texas, USA - JUN 27, 2006
I was disappointed in this one. I expected it to be pretty hoppy given where it was brewed, but they went overboard. I almost forgot that I was drinking a b-wine a couple times during this session. It was thin, boring, and the hoppy punch overshawdowed the malts or fruitiness that you would find readily available in say.....a Foghorn. I can say though that this thing carried the 10.2% very well. I’ll pass...

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
nahthan (129) - Oakland, California, USA - JUN 27, 2007
2006 bottle. Aged over a year at 45F. Light amber color. Aroma is esters, phenols and almonds. Flavor is malt, hops and alcohol. 50% hot alcohol, 50% clean alcohol. It’s getting better as it warms up, but there’s still some hint of overworked yeast in here. Imagine the taste of bitter vanilla almonds. Too bad for Speakeasy - I loved Prohibition when it came out in bottles back in the early 2000s.. I have a feeling there’s still so much wonderful potential in this place.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
FROTHINGSLOSH (4971) - GREENSBURG, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 29, 2014
Sampled on draft at Hou Thou this beer poured a caramel brown color with a large foamy tan head that lingered and left good lacing. The aroma was sour caramel, wood and had a bitter presence. The flavor was sour caramel, wood, bitterness, tobacco and an off presence. Long finish. Moderately full bodied. Very disappointing.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
DYCSoccer17 (3328) - Woodland, California, USA - SEP 28, 2006
12 ounce bottle (2006 vintage) purchased at the Nugget on Mace in Davis, CA. Nice, pleasant hoppy, floral aroma with some booze present. Light vinousness as well. I do detect a bit of diacetyl as well. Kind of reminiscent of Bigfoot, but just a little more harsh in terms of the aroma. Transparent amber-tea colored body with a decent little off-yellowish head and fair legs. Light floral hoppiness to start, followed by dry, roasted cardboardy flavors. Very cardboardy. Finishes surprisingly thin, but the aclohol is somehow not overly apparent. This is a bizarre beer. The cardboard sucks and it happens to be somewhat watery. This must distract me from picking up any alcohol presence. Nevertheless, a professional brewery should not be selling such an inferior beer to the public. Thankfully it was only $1.89 for the bottle. I guess I got what I paid for...

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
DrHomolka (761) - Portland, Oregon, USA - APR 8, 2008
12oz bottle. Pours ruby red with a small and quickly diminishing white head. After a few moments of smelling I registered the aroma of paint and for the rest of this beer I could not get it out of my head. There is the normal barley wine aromas underneath too, candy, caramel sweetness, alcohol, etc but the strong aroma of paint just cuts through. Maybe a little acetone too. Whatever it is it is quite unappealing. Taste is cloying, sweet, and a little plasticy. This beer did not sit well with me at all.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 8/20
AmEricanbrew (5863) - Same Trailer, Different Park, Louisiana, USA - FEB 14, 2008
Clear copper color with a thin fleeting head. Decent smell is piney hops, sweet spicy malt. Malty pit fruit flavors with a very strong, harsh alcohol that kills your taste buds and drowns out whatever else there is to taste here. 12607

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
Rictus (126) - Camdenton, Missouri, USA - MAY 24, 2007
Very sweet malty aroma. Pretty, bubbly dark amber (lighter than most other barleys I tasted). Almost no head though, which is odd and detracts abit. Very very sweet, to me, cloying. Very little hops to balance it out. Average palate. I won’t be buying this again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 3/20
LtDan (1784) - Los Angeles County, California, USA - AUG 16, 2008
Not sure if the bottle was bad. The aroma was inviting. Sugars, appleskin, chocolate and spices. The first few sips were of un-sweetened chocolate. Then I was so dissapointed there was nothing more than dull chocolate water, so I poured it down the drain. I am a barley-wine lover, and this made me sad.