overall

RATINGS: 388   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.16   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 252   ABV: 8.4%
We started with a Trappist Triple yeast culture and carefully blended Belgian pale barley malt with traditional malted wheat and oats to produce a delectable golden ale. This special brew is aged 12 weeks creating a fruity nad refined taste with a huge bouqet, light body, and a very smooth, non-bitter finish. Best served at 55 degrees F.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
Pjones6738 (500) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - DEC 30, 2003
Orange color, and quite a bit of white head, although it disappeared quickly. Honey/citrus scent. Definate bubble-gum flavor, and strong alcohol bite too. Syrupy. Not a good beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
YourDarkLord (1800) - Urbana, Illinois, USA - DEC 29, 2003
Sprecher makes great root beer. Their other beers are questionable. This has a decent amber body with a white head. The aroma was fruity and the taste slightly effervescent and unremarkable.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
GermanBrews76 (678) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - DEC 18, 2003
golden straw body, not much of a head, but what's there is tight, dense and creamy. Nose of barley grains, ripe, sweet fruits and alcohol. some pale malt or candi sugar. caramel and some spicyness, but not what I'd expect. Some ester quality showing, but a bit weak as well. Tart, dry and alcoholic, then grains come throug to give way to sweet, pale malt character. Clean and crisp in mouth, sweetens as it warms and builds on the palate. Nice warming effect, solid alcohol presence. Not necessarily what I'm looking for in a tripel though.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
npdempse (934) - St. Petersburg, Florida, USA - DEC 12, 2003
Sweet malty nose with touches of bananas and alcohol. Clear dark copper with a small white head. Medium sweet flavor, tons of banana esters, caramel, alcohol, toffee. Not really to style--lacks the spicy, yeasty notes of a true Belgian Tripel, but a nice flavorful beer in its own right.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
DavidP (1747) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - DEC 8, 2003
Packaged 08/06/2003

Thin fizzy white head over a hazy orange-copper body. Orange Bubble-Yum aroma. Spicy, watermelon-y sweetness broken up by an alcoholic aftertaste. Not terribly complex but I did appreciate its lack of overbearing sweetness - it allowed some gentle spiciness to creep in. I do dislike the alcohol aftertaste, however.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
Libeerian (209) - Garner, North Carolina, USA - NOV 19, 2003
Sweet fruity bubblegum and alcohol aroma. Very brief head. Flavor was alcoholic, malty and spicy sweet. Decent but not as complex as I'd hoped.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
soulrefugee (46) - Illinois, USA - NOV 1, 2003
Anytime I find a nice high alchohol ale made in the U.S. that is low priced compared to its european counterparts (belgian ales, in this case) and competes on taste, I rate it highly. Plus, this is the best Sprecher beer I've tried. It has a nice rich flavor. Also, I've tried the real Belgian ales, and yes they do taste more distinguished, but not in proportion to how much higher their price tag is. I'm just saying for the price, this ale really is great. I wish more american breweries made this kind of brew. I really recommend it. Its got a nice rich, subtly sweet taste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
brewblackhole (1588) - Muskego, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 12, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 17, 2006 Had a freash glass on the brewery tour.Amberish color nice head,hoppy aroma, surprisingly sweet honeycarmel taste with some kind of hop zing to it. Odd bitter aftertaste but in the end enjoyable

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
TheDean (786) - MIlwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - SEP 27, 2003
Ok, so I read the commercial description on here after I opened this, so I had to let it warm up a bit before drinking it. Damn, that means I had to have my Black Baverian while I waited. Things that don't suck. Needless to say, it was worth the wait. This is a damn good beer! Props to my boys at Sprecher.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
JoeM500 (1905) - Crown Point, Indiana, USA - AUG 25, 2003
Each bottle of Sprecher is gamble. Sometimes the bottle seems old and unfresh. I have had 4 packs of Black bavarian, that I love, but each bottle is tasteless or bad. This example of Sprecher Triple was 100% better then the sample that I shared with jaymobrown...and they came from the same 4 pack! The nose here presented a sweet bread yeast, apricots and toasted almonds. Alcohol was there, too. The first sip was a bit alcoholic, but softened to fruity and sugary flavors. The middle was yeasty, like fresh bread topped with light spices and plenty of sugar. The finish was dry and alcoholic, slightly burning but managable.