overall

RATINGS: 383   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.15   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 252   ABV: 8.4%
We started with a Trappist Triple yeast culture and carefully blended Belgian pale barley malt with traditional malted wheat and oats to produce a delectable golden ale. This special brew is aged 12 weeks creating a fruity nad refined taste with a huge bouqet, light body, and a very smooth, non-bitter finish. Best served at 55 degrees F.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
redlem (1301) - Ohio, USA - MAR 23, 2003
Clear orange color with a medium creamy head. Honey aroma with some fruits and yeast. Very sweet and sticky/cloying. Its like drinking shots of honey.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
muzzlehatch (4424) - Burlington, Vermont, USA - DEC 24, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 21, 2003 12/24/02 Bottled. A lovely, very sweet tripel, almost certainly the best offering from this brewery; dry champagnelike nose leads you to believe its going to be a more bitter rendition but its buttery, caramelly sweet, with a finish that hints at some hop bitterness at the very end. Excellent.

1/21/03 Well, maybe not excellent. Was I drunk that night? This tastes overly sweet and syrupy to me now, with a bit of pepperiness the only distraction from the massive malty sugar. I still think it's worth getting for the price, and you could find worse things to get hammered on, but its not really anything special.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
CaptainCougar (7129) - Columbia, Maryland, USA - SEP 2, 2002
After having tried other Belgian strong ales, this one is not as good as I originally thought. Itís still well balanced, but lacks that almost oily smoothness that so many other Belgian ales have, and doesnít hide its alcohol as well.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
MikeF (538) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - AUG 21, 2002
To be honest, I expected better. Seems too sweet and thinner than other trippels somehow. I would say that at best this is an OK American version of a Abbey triple.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
JPDIPSO (4956) - Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, USA - JUL 25, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 12, 2004 RERATE II 1/12/04: The first one of these I had was quite good, so after reviewing the reviews again, I thought I should try again. Dark golden color with a tall cream colored head (they finally got a head on this one). Funky mold and blue cheese aroma. Initial malt sweetness, taken back by paint thinner, alcohol and old oak. The best by marking are poorly printed and this may be an old sample, but that is unlikely. Looks like some quality control problems to me. (Orginal rating: 8,3,7,3,15) Rerate: Still a decent brew I think they may be tring to push this one out to fast. Additional flavors of bread and a sourness not noticed prior. (12/20/01) A triple with no head? Some what a shane. Very clean. A lot of malt flavor, with a bubble gum/fruity aroma. I wish this was bottle conditioned. A very drinkable brew.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
TAR (2437) - Lafayette, Colorado, USA - JUL 17, 2002
Dark amber liquid below a ring of dense, yet unattractive foam. Aroma is bananalike, phenolic, and hoppy. Palate leans toward the thinnish side. I hate sloppy, mushy malts and this has no problem showcasing them. Minute complexity with watermnelon flavors. Finishes both cloyingly and astringently.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
raindog (560) - Evansville, Indiana, USA - JUL 14, 2002
Where is the head that is in the picture? Absolutely no head.High carbonation.Aroma is just plain yeastiness. palate is watery and sugary.Fruity and a slight taste of grain followed by a pretty large hop bitterness.Not too well done.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Aggie80 (785) - Michigan, USA - JUN 29, 2002
Discovered this in a corner of the cooler at a graduation party and was please, if for no other reason then I was able to try something new. A pleasing and spicy brew, I canít really comment accurately on color and head, I was stuck drinking out of the bottle. I will look for it and try again when I can pour it! Nice after flavor and a fruity spicy taste.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 6/20
Oakes (12167) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - MAY 28, 2002
Iíll do you one better, cranes - I didnít care for this at all. Light copper, sugary, ever so slightly cidery. Sweet, flowery, bubblegummy and very sugary. No balance.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
cranesareflying (50) - Evanston, Illinois, USA - MAY 3, 2002
Judging from the geography here, I guess this is a Midwest thing, sorry to change the grading curve, but this is not nearly as complex, in my view, as the real thing, say, a Westmalle Tripel, closer to a sugar-cured Bass Ale, a very orange colored appearance, absolutely no head at all, mild malt and fruit flavor, lightly carbonated, excessively sweet, smooth at first, easy to drink, but there’s no lasting flavor for me, sort of like Ommegang, what I was left with was a dried-out, oaky sweetness on the palate.