overall

RATINGS: 768   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.72   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
This intensely dark Kulmbacher style lager has a superb malt complexity with the distinctive flavors and aromas of coffee, caramel and chocolate. A renowned smoothness and a creamy, tan head make it an all-time brewery favorite.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
beerlovinman99 (124) - USA - JUL 9, 2002
Malty, rich, and bitter, Black Bavarian is a very unique beer -- you think it should be sweet, but it’s not at all. The aftertaste is unusual.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
greystreet80 (191) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - JUL 5, 2002
I am not a big stout beer fan and that is what this stuff atsed like. But it was good, don’t get me wrong.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
npdempse (934) - St. Petersburg, Florida, USA - JUN 25, 2002
Has a mild, malty aroma wafting off its pitch black body. Flavor is light but complex, dominated by roasty, chocolatey malt flavors and the flavors of good pumpernickel bread.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
tourette (210) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JUN 17, 2002
Excellent black beer. I really love this style, though its hard to come across good examples of it. I would certainly recommend this one.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
proc (342) - Dearborn, Michigan, USA - MAY 11, 2002
Lager, porter, stout, beer of some sort. I know its a lager, but it had me confused. Very porter-like in appearance and taste. Coffee taste is prevelent but not overwhelming. Lots of malt in this one. I liked it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
austinpowers (2826) - New York, New York, USA - MAY 8, 2002
Overrated. Has anyone actually tasted this beer? It’s way too malty to drink more than one.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
NDmullet (208) - South Bend, Indiana, USA - MAY 2, 2002
Strong mocha/coffee aroma, slightly hoppy. Flavors are a touch artificial to me, and moderately cloying. Nonetheless, very drinkable.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
MikeF (538) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - APR 28, 2002
I really like the malty flavor in this one. Distinctly German tasting. The mixture of chocolate and caramel flavors is superb. Very drinkable.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
kmeves (1098) - Mount Pleasant, Wisconsin, USA - APR 24, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 23, 2008 Big frothy head, strong malt taste and aftertaste. Very smooth and drinkable for a dark thick beer. Re-rate 5-23-08: This beer is sadly a shadow of its former self. Much thinner and less flavorful than I remember. Too bad they had to ruin such a good thing. I am actually afraid to try the Special Amber again!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jennythenipper (74) - St. Paul, Minnesota, USA - APR 3, 2002
I had this beer at the Sprecher brewery about six years ago and took four bottles back to Minneapolis to savor. My rating is based on faulty memory. I remember it being rich and malty, without being overly sweet. I remember it as being nearly the best that I tasted at Sprecher .