overall
Brewed by McAuslan Brewing
Style: Stout
Montreal, Canada

RATINGS: 1385   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.93   IBU: 45   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout consistently beats out international stouts in blind tastings and competitions. This intensely black ale carries strong hints of espresso and chocolate. The oatmeal contributes body and ensures a long-lasting mocha-coloured head. If you like stout, you will love St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
ClarkVV (3892) - Allston, Massachusetts, USA - DEC 23, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 14, 2006 2003 bottle consumed in December 2003. Extremely deep black, nice finger and a half dark ruby brown head. Moderate lacing. Aroma is dark dark roast. Heavy bitter coffee, some smoke? Good bitter hops, and some tart prunes mayhaps. Flavor gets a few extra points for originality. Heavily roasty, not overly sweet at all. Body is thick, oily, sticky. Medium body, HIGHLY carbonated (too much so). Like there’s some sour milk in there, but not in a bad way. . . Finish is pleasant and balanced, but a bit too lacking. After I drank more and it warmed, I picked up a lovely smoked flavor, I think it was just the roasted oatmeal, but it was nice. Needs more, though I love not overtop beers, so maybe this is quite nice. . .hmm, shall rerate soon from the other bottles I am cellaring. Filtered unfortunately. Thank you, Oakes, for sendin these my way!
2005 bottle Fresh. And freshness is the key, as it is with all McAuslan beers (except the vintages). The beer is one of the foremost accomplishments in brewing today of the example of rich, full flavor without being overdone or full of alcohol. Chocolatey, creamy, hearty, but yet supremely drinkable. Even the filtration and artificial carbonation don’t seem to hinder the texture when fresh. Lightly creamy, plenty of vanilla and moderate roast. Score is for a fresh bottle, as that is how it should be consumed.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
lemonlovr (190) - Orland Park, Illinois, USA - DEC 22, 2003
Definite roasted malt aroma - coffee and chocolate are subtle but present. Appearance is dark dark brown with minimal head. Flavor is masked by carbonation up front but is milky and slightly coffee-like in the finish. Mouthfeel is strange due to the initial carbonation. An OK stout but not the best!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
matta (1140) - Tampa, Florida, USA - DEC 17, 2003
Huge thanks go out to Rastacouere for helping me out with my first International Canadian trade!
Well, Appearance certainly rates in with a 5. Pours an opaque jet-black body and gathers a massive toffee colored head and mocha globs of lacing. The aroma is a cauldron of coffee and mocha, a rich Belgian chocolate. I take a sip from the snifter, Damn!!! The chocolate malts are far more roasted and charred than I was expecting! Very modest note of the Oatmeal grain, but overcome with smoky dark oak notes.
The mouth feel is a bit thin, a creamier texture would have scored more points wit me, Overall this is a very tasty beer, maybe a little overrated by my personal standards but I do recommend seeking some out so you can make a judgment of your own!
Thanks Dave, You Rock!!!

Later Comment: The use of the word MOCHA was not taken from the RB beer description, I just realized it that it is printed at toe top of the page and I wanted to clarify that I am not a poser stealing others words and thoughts!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
beerhugger (542) - Oshawa, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 12, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 28, 2004 Spectacular. Chewy and - perhaps most important - lingering chocolate, coffee, roasted malt flavours. Pours blacker than night with a creamy head that stays with you. Don't think you'll easily find a better Oatmeal Stout. The re-rate is purely because of the orgasmic nature of combining this one with chocolate the other night. Wow.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
adwoan99 (244) - Ft. Worth, Texas, USA - DEC 11, 2003
Nice and toasty aroma. I hate to say that this has your "typical" oatmeal stout characteristics, but just to add that it's much better than your typical oatmeal stouts.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Andrew196 (1091) - Katy, Texas, USA - DEC 9, 2003
I had been wanting this beer for quite some time. Given how long its been on the top 50, the bar had been raised pretty darn high. It fell slightly short of what I was expecting, but it was an excellent stout. Appearance was typical for the style. I liked the mouthfeel of this beer, robust chocolate and roasted malts came out, coffee. Dry finish....nice! I had this at the Austin tasting. I believe TChrome brought a pair of 12 oz bottles. One of the bottles was half full about an hour after we first opened them....how could this poor, remaining, neglected beer be left alone, watching us drink his cousins??? I sent him home!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Boutip (4656) - Gatineau, Quebec, CANADA - DEC 8, 2003
Bottle - Opaque black brew with a medium head that dissapate too quickly. Excellent Chocolate and coffee aroma with a sweet taste. Good roastiness and good body. I would be curious to try this one on tap...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
3fourths (7887) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - DEC 8, 2003
Light brown head atop a black body. Sweet oatmeal and bread aroma, very creamy with hints of caramel and vanilla. Quite carbonated and bright, sweet and milky flavor throughout with an even finish. Hard to find much wrong with this... just a nice sweet stout.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
AceOfHearts (1375) - Mountain View, California, USA - DEC 7, 2003
Bottle. Opaque black, thick tan head. A bit disappointing, slight cherry flavor with the roastiness. Rather sour. I had sought after this stuff for a long time.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
DragonStout (1408) - Pickerington, Ohio, USA - NOV 28, 2003
Poured a nice black color with a tan head.A strong hint of chocolate and coffe.Very smooth going down but did leave me tasting it a for a lil longer than i wanted.