overall
Brewed by McAuslan Brewing (Brasseurs RJ)
Style: Stout
Montreal, Canada

RATINGS: 1496   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.93/5   IBU: 45   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout consistently beats out international stouts in blind tastings and competitions. This intensely black ale carries strong hints of espresso and chocolate. The oatmeal contributes body and ensures a long-lasting mocha-coloured head. If you like stout, you will love St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Crosling (1864) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - JAN 23, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 15, 2005 Black as the largest depth of the ocean with a huge, creamy, mocha colored head that redefines long lasting and lacing. Intensely roasty malt accented nose that especially emphasizes the use of an extreme amount of black malt, which gives strong hints of coffee, expresso and chocolate. The powerful malt flavor is piercing and big, especially with its black malt (unsweetened coffee) flavor, chocolate, expresso and its cunning bitterness.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
arjoseph (642) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JAN 20, 2005
GABF 2004, in somebodyís hotel room. I was looking forward to this beer. I was so psyched that someone brought it. I poured it. It looked as good as expected, tight tan head over black but not inky beer. I tasted it. I became disappointed. Perhaps I should reevaluate my liking for the genre of oatmeal stout, if this is the best they get. The armoa was underwhelming, but I could already sense the funky graininess to come. Yes, I know oats are involved, but they totally masked the stout roastiness that I was expecting. This was like an oatmeal porter, but with burnt oatmeal. Once I got past the bad parts, the taste rounded into some subtle dark fruit, which Iím sure I would have liked as one component among many enjoyable components. The finish was nice and long, but since the oat funkiness reemerged, I wished it wouldnít have been. In my opinion, overrated. I feel cheated.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Commodore (112) - Ontario, CANADA - JAN 18, 2005
Very dark ale, decent yet short-lived head. Pleasing scent of ripe fruit. Taste has a tad too coffee-ish for my liking, but still very drinkable and a nice warmer. 341ml bottle at the Alex.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jzzbassman (1586) - Arlington, Texas, USA - JAN 13, 2005
12 oz bottle thanks to an awesome Secret Santa. Almost opaque black with a nice compact tan head that lasted. Big sweet aroma that was as much fun to smell as to drink. Flavor was sweet and smooth, with the usual flavor profile, although one that was just perfectly balanced. A stupendous stout!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
madsberg (11369) - SÝborg, DENMARK - JAN 12, 2005
Bottled: Dark brown almost black coloured. Brown dense medium sized head. Chocolate, sweets, spice in the aroma. Flavour is creamy and chocolatish. Smooth on the palate, but also a bit watery. Medium bodied. Nice one, but in my book not a top50 beer. Thanks Jeppe for sharing.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
MillStreetMan (152) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JAN 4, 2005
I guess familiarity breeds contempt, because this is regularly available anywhere in Toronto, yet it has been a long while since Iíve bothered to pick it up. I did today, and I was reminded of its extreme excellence. Itís a rich, creamy black, with a sweet chocolate flavour. Immensely and satisfyingly smooth.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
GiBrew (171) - Fredericton, New Brunswick, CANADA - DEC 29, 2004
One of my favorite beer. Plenty of Dark Chocolate flavour, a bit of coffee, very smooth. Very enjoyable.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
SubstanceT (1092) - Saint Louis, Missouri, USA - DEC 20, 2004
Okay, what a stout, Thanks be to Edward (brooklynboy) for sharing this awesome brew. Drinking this makes me wish that I had a fantastic tounge that could pull this apart, or even better, a fantastic brain that could write it down. Dark in colour with a nice brown-grey head, the nose is malty with chocolate and warmth, the tatse is just aobout the same with a sense of purity and hops. Great stuff, get ahold of this if you can.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
willblake (2654) - Bel Air, Maryland, USA - DEC 19, 2004
12.19.04 12oz bottle thanks to my secret santa in Hamilton, ON. Deep and almost black beer looks thick and soft on the pour. The head is thick and sticky tan and lasts and laces all over the place. The aromas are incredible coffee and cream notes with hazelnut syrup that remind me of my morning coffee at 7-11. I love my morning coffee. The flavor is almost all coffee with coffee notes and coffee touches. Thereís also some more hazelnut, truffle oil, chocolate coated coffee bean. The brew has just the right amount of bitterness, just the right amount of sweetness, creamy body...damn, this is some good stuff! Easily the best Oatmeal stout Iíve had. Thanks for sending two, Santa!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
DrunkAsASkunk (847) - Lynnwood, Washington, USA - DEC 18, 2004
This beer comes courtesy of my not so secret santa phil in Quebec...ive long awaited trying this beer, so this was an excellent treat. This beer pours a dark brown to almost black color with a bulbous menagerie of orange, tan and purple dancing in the thick head. Good lacing throughout, and a remaining cream layer left after the head wafted away. The aroma is sweet and malty, chocolatey, coffee, overall very light and sweet even as it warmed. The body is medium to slightly coating thick, with active carbonation. Thick tongue coating chocolate, malt, toffee, and coffee. You can nearly TASTE the caffeine in this beer. I was nearly asleep before I opened this beer, but now Iím nearly awake. Roasty coffee bean finish, fairly wet though for a stout. Wonderfully crafted sweet stout. Mid sip bitterness, heavy roasted caramel chocolate toffeeness throughout. Nearly intoxicating flavor.. i NEED a case of this on hand!