Brewed by McAuslan Brewing (Brasseurs RJ)
Style: Stout
Montreal, Canada

RATINGS: 1499   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.93/5   IBU: 45   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout consistently beats out international stouts in blind tastings and competitions. This intensely black ale carries strong hints of espresso and chocolate. The oatmeal contributes body and ensures a long-lasting mocha-coloured head. If you like stout, you will love St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Jan Primus (160) - Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA - JAN 30, 2005
Pours almost pitch black with a generous dark tan head. Mild aroma of strong coffee and maybe a bit of cookie. Medium body and all I can really taste is coffee/expresso and dark btter chocolate. The flavours are perfectly balanced and there is a slightly oily testure. Carbonatiion is just right for me. Nicely biter aftertaste. One of the few great beers readily available here in Ontario, I’ll be buying this one regularly.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Brian (145) - Ontario, CANADA - JAN 29, 2005
Black and thick, with a head that sticks to the glass. Burnt coffee aroma and a strong, chocolate flavor that lingers for ages on the tongue and throat. Brilliant.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Murphy (1759) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - JAN 27, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 30, 2005 Pours dark and thick, with a nice dark brown head. Aroma is 100% chocolate malt. Medium bodied, could be maltier. Taste starts with coffee and chocolate, then moves into a nice pure chocolate malt taste with strong bittering through the finish. Leaves the mouth roasty. Suprisingly low alcohol for a taste this big.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Crosling (1864) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - JAN 23, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 15, 2005 Black as the largest depth of the ocean with a huge, creamy, mocha colored head that redefines long lasting and lacing. Intensely roasty malt accented nose that especially emphasizes the use of an extreme amount of black malt, which gives strong hints of coffee, expresso and chocolate. The powerful malt flavor is piercing and big, especially with its black malt (unsweetened coffee) flavor, chocolate, expresso and its cunning bitterness.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
arjoseph (642) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JAN 20, 2005
GABF 2004, in somebody’s hotel room. I was looking forward to this beer. I was so psyched that someone brought it. I poured it. It looked as good as expected, tight tan head over black but not inky beer. I tasted it. I became disappointed. Perhaps I should reevaluate my liking for the genre of oatmeal stout, if this is the best they get. The armoa was underwhelming, but I could already sense the funky graininess to come. Yes, I know oats are involved, but they totally masked the stout roastiness that I was expecting. This was like an oatmeal porter, but with burnt oatmeal. Once I got past the bad parts, the taste rounded into some subtle dark fruit, which I’m sure I would have liked as one component among many enjoyable components. The finish was nice and long, but since the oat funkiness reemerged, I wished it wouldn’t have been. In my opinion, overrated. I feel cheated.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Commodore (112) - Ontario, CANADA - JAN 18, 2005
Very dark ale, decent yet short-lived head. Pleasing scent of ripe fruit. Taste has a tad too coffee-ish for my liking, but still very drinkable and a nice warmer. 341ml bottle at the Alex.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jzzbassman (1587) - Arlington, Texas, USA - JAN 13, 2005
12 oz bottle thanks to an awesome Secret Santa. Almost opaque black with a nice compact tan head that lasted. Big sweet aroma that was as much fun to smell as to drink. Flavor was sweet and smooth, with the usual flavor profile, although one that was just perfectly balanced. A stupendous stout!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
madsberg (11405) - Søborg, DENMARK - JAN 12, 2005
Bottled: Dark brown almost black coloured. Brown dense medium sized head. Chocolate, sweets, spice in the aroma. Flavour is creamy and chocolatish. Smooth on the palate, but also a bit watery. Medium bodied. Nice one, but in my book not a top50 beer. Thanks Jeppe for sharing.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
MillStreetMan (152) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JAN 4, 2005
I guess familiarity breeds contempt, because this is regularly available anywhere in Toronto, yet it has been a long while since I’ve bothered to pick it up. I did today, and I was reminded of its extreme excellence. It’s a rich, creamy black, with a sweet chocolate flavour. Immensely and satisfyingly smooth.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
GiBrew (171) - Fredericton, New Brunswick, CANADA - DEC 29, 2004
One of my favorite beer. Plenty of Dark Chocolate flavour, a bit of coffee, very smooth. Very enjoyable.