overall
Brewed by St. Bernardus Brouwerij
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Watou, Belgium

RATINGS: 4068   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.15   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
The St. Bernardus Abt 12 is the pride of our stable, the nec plus ultra of our brewery. Abbey ale brewed in the classic ’Quadrupel’ style of Belgium’s best Abbey Ales. Dark with a full, ivory-colored head. It has a fruity aroma, full of complex flavours and excels because of its long bittersweet finish with a hoppy bite. Worldwide seen as one of the best beers in the world. It’s a very balanced beer, with a full-bodied taste and a perfect equilibrium between malty, bitter, and sweet. One of the original recipes from the days of license-brewing for the Trappist monks of Westvleteren.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
cking (1175) - North Canton, Ohio, USA - AUG 13, 2007
The large bottles of this fine treat recently appeared at one of the local shops and I found it fitting to get one as a gift to myself for my 31st birthday. Popped the cork and slowly poured my first glassful into a nice big wine glass. Sturdy dark brown color with some amber highlights. An immensely thick billowing head that provided plenty of dense fluffy lacing. One of THE most enjoyable aromas I’ve ever been around, I sniffed on this for what seemed like ages. Layers of dark rich sugary malt and earthy yeast. Lots of black licorice and fermented cherries. Nice spiciness, reminded me of nutmeg, anise, and even some light caraway seed. Beautiful aroma, top notch for sure. Medium body, extremely smooth with an incredibly easiness to it. A touch of alcohol harshness attacks the palate, and it soon mellows as a nice effect on the palate. Sweet and filling, this is a fantastic sipper. So tasty and good! Loads of sweet bready malt, sugary and smooth with some rich caramel. I could even pick up hints of roasted malt and some fine chocolate. Cherry syrup, fermented figs, anise and black licorice. Mild alcohol presence backed by peppery spices. Great yeasty earthiness. Intensely complex yet straightforward the flavor is very assertive. Fantastic Belgian, absolutely first class. A wonderful gift to myself,

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
VTHopHead (1511) - Barre, Vermont, USA - AUG 12, 2007
Draft - Poured a very cloudy brown in color with a big creamy light tan head. Aroma was strong of the classic Belgian yeastiness, some alcohol, sweet malt and vanilla. Palate was thick and creamy. Flavor was somewhat sweet with malts and bready with yeast. The finish was thick and chewy with a slightly sourness right at the end. This was really an awesome beer which I truly enjoyed. I will seek out another opportunity ASAP!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Goodgrief (1885) - Middletown, Delaware, USA - AUG 11, 2007
I expected to be underwhelmed by this...and I was NOT. It really is fantastic. Poured dark murky brown with huge head that lasted throughout with lacing ALL over the glass. Spicy alcohol aroma made me think that the strong alcohol would be all over the taste. It wasn’t. It’s almost hard to believe a 10% abv beer could taste so smooth. Sweet fruity taste, but not overly so...could hardly even taste the alcohol. Amazing. Not as complex as I thought it would be from reading reviews...but was just delicious nonetheless. Perfect carbonation. Really, really good. I wish I could buy this by the case and still afford to pay my mortgage.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
djd07 (6275) - Houston, Texas, USA - AUG 8, 2007
Big bottle as shown. Pours a dark amber color with a large light tan head. The aroma is a strong malty aroma with hints of hazlenut and vanilla. Very good lacing on this one. The taste is very sweet malt with vanilla and cream, hides the alcohol well. A special beer for my 100th rating.

RedCloud (129) - Rhode Island, USA - AUG 7, 2007
UPDATED: MAR 12, 2013 Pours a dark, clear, crimson-orange cola, with a finger-or-two of quickly dissipating, butter-colored head, of which leaves light lacing. Smell is heavy of fresh pizza dough, along with dark fruits, sugary fig, and some banana. Taste starts with rich caramel and buttery popcorn, then transitions into date, fig, and light spice. Finish is lightly fruity, and lightly bitter. Body is medium, with slightly chewy palate.

hopson (635) - Williamsville, New York, USA - AUG 7, 2007
Horizontal tasting with westy 12 and rochefort 10- never opens up the way the others do. Not as complex at all, but arguably the most drinkable and refreshing of the three. A real wine like characteristic (grapes, dryness), dominates throughout even as it warms. Go with the Rochefort instead.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
brentfeesh (1208) - Mansfield, Ohio, USA - AUG 6, 2007
12 oz bottle proved from Secret Santa 2006/2007. Pours mahogany and hazy with a solid white head. A bit chunky. The aroma has alcohol, Belgian candy, ginger bread and dark fruit. The flavor is fairly complex but nother that does it for me. I get dates or fig or something, Belgian candy, burnt caramel or fruit or some such thing. There’s some noticeable alcohol too. All and all this thing is an overpowering mess of flavors that I do not find enjoyable. I can’t believe I like the special addition so much better than this but I did. Not a big fan of this one.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
yespr (36095) - Copenhagen O, DENMARK - AUG 4, 2007
33c cL bottle. Pours deep brown with small sediments floating around. Off-white creamy head. Aroma of dried fruit, slight caramel and roasted notes. Flavour is chocolate, dried fruit, caramel sweet and slight bitter. Doesn’t hit the same smooth balance as Westie 12. Nice but not perfect.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
norsedoc (248) - Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 4, 2007
On tap at Falling Rock. Pours dark brown with tan head that lingers. Medium body, not overpowered by alcohol. Toasted malt. Finish almost caramelizes on your tongue.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
daniele (6660) - ITALY - AUG 3, 2007
scura buona schiuma profumi torreffati luppolati corpo pieno retrogusto di caffè