overall
Brewed by St. Bernardus Brouwerij
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Watou, Belgium

RATINGS: 3809   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.15   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
The St. Bernardus Abt 12 is the pride of our stable, the nec plus ultra of our brewery. Abbey ale brewed in the classic íQuadrupelí style of Belgiumís best Abbey Ales. Dark with a full, ivory-colored head. It has a fruity aroma, full of complex flavours and excels because of its long bittersweet finish with a hoppy bite. Worldwide seen as one of the best beers in the world. Itís a very balanced beer, with a full-bodied taste and a perfect equilibrium between malty, bitter, and sweet. One of the original recipes from the days of license-brewing for the Trappist monks of Westvleteren.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
sliffy (2040) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - JUL 22, 2006
Bottle: Mahogany color, thick creamy off white head, with some amazing lacing. Aroma, some fruit, yeast, spice, a little sweetness. Flavor, has a sweetness to it, some dark fruits, a little warming. Lingering spicy bitterness. Really good.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
rayg1 (557) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - JUL 22, 2006
I agree with Tony Banannas I didnít know St, Benardus when I bought it and I bought four different beers and they have all been amazing but this one takes the cake. My only beef was I thought the mouthfeel was a little thin.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
TonyBanannas (36) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 19, 2006
I love these little surprises. I donít know a large variety of brews, and when I bought this I had no clue what it was. I guess itís a plus to being new. I popped it open and pured it without knowing a thing. The aroma widen my eyes and at that point I knew I was in for a treat. Bottle, pours a deep amber brown, with a beautiful, huge, off white head. Aroma is spice, and fruit. Taste of plums, nuts, and raisens. Iím having a hard time describing it with just words. Hows this? Holy Crap, what a brew!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
RagallachMC (631) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - JUL 18, 2006
UPDATED: JUL 30, 2006 Draft. Aroma: Yeast and bread hit me first. Then some dark fruits (mostly prunes and figs), toffee and roasted malt. Peppery spiciness blends alluringly with some floral notes. Appearance: Dark brown with a large creamy tan head. Head lingered long into the tasting. Great lacing. Flavor: Malt sweetnes is the backbone, but lots of flavors are playing along. More dark fruits (raisins this time), toasted nuts, caramel, szechuan peppercorn, and rose-like floral flavors. Palate: Full bodied and creamy. Really enjoyed rolling this one on my tongue. Carbonation high but appropriate. Alcohol warming was gentle and pleasant on the roof and back of my mouth. Overall: An outstanding beer. Full of complex flavors and aromas that challenges the drinker to follow along.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
shp555 (2024) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - JUL 17, 2006
UPDATED: NOV 26, 2006 On Tap: Very dark brown with white lacing. Fruity, spicy smell to it. Wonderful mouth feel; made me just want to roll it around it my mouth. Nice malty flavor with slightly spicey bite which is balanced wonderfully with fruity sweetness. GREAT!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
IrishBoy (3853) - Bakersfield, California, USA - JUL 16, 2006
UPDATED: JUL 26, 2007 11.2 oz bottle Nose of spicy malt, with alittle plums, nuts, and raisins; hazy chestnut brown with a huge long-lasting tan head; flavor of malty iwh dark fruit and a little biterness in the finish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Damian (5) - Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 16, 2006 does not count
The first thing that struck me about this beer was the interesting bottle graphics. Quite funny. Then came the beer itself. HUGE, beautiful, frothy deep brown/black head. Beer appears very murky with pieces of yeast floating. Aroma is quite strong - fruity and smoky. Taste is decadent - strong malt presence along with spices, plums, apricots. I would definitely buy this beer again!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
DrBayern (1139) - Morehead City, North Carolina, USA - JUL 16, 2006
22 oz. bottle. Cloudy dark brown with a big tan head that laces beautifully and subsides slowly to a thin tan layer that lasted the duration. A wonderful yeasty bread aroma is immedately evident, but some time and concentration results in additional subtle notes of dark fruit, and a little fragrant spiciness. Full mouthfeel with a lively effervescece, very easy to drink for a beer with this much complexity. Alcohol is not evidnet, and the flavor is malt biased with dark fruit, brown sugar, and a lgith sourness that leads to a faint bitterness to round out the malt. Well balanced, easily drinkable, a truly enjoyable beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
thebaldwizard (1205) - Ohio, USA - JUL 13, 2006
UPDATED: DEC 8, 2006 This beer changed my mind about a lot of things. This is by far the best Belgian Iíve had--better than Rochefort 10 in my opinion. It was good enough to cause me to re-think my rankings of several other beers. The pour is a very dark brown, with a little carbonation and a nice dirty white head. I caught a few specks of sedimentation in the head. A great aroma of nuts and sweet malt. The taste is just incredible. The smoothness in the mouthfeel is unmatched. I couldnít believe how easy it was to drink this beer--even with all of the full flavor. The taste has a great sweet malt flavor--very full with a nice hint of fruit at the end. Unparalleled if you ask me. The finish is smooth--with no aftertaste at all. A wonderful beer experience.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
victory (45) - Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 12, 2006
I was at eulogy tonight and met fellow rate beer user phillymonksman who recommended this brew to me. Before i pass out, i want to say thanks john, this beer is definately goes in my top 5. Mouthfeel is amazing, a bit of carbonation fades and the complexity hits. let it sit on your tounge and it just keeps getting better and better with more flavor revealing itself by the second. A lot of beers taste good, this one also FEELS good. canít wait to drag some friends out and try it again.