overall
Brewed by St. Bernardus Brouwerij
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Watou, Belgium

RATINGS: 4004   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.15   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
The St. Bernardus Abt 12 is the pride of our stable, the nec plus ultra of our brewery. Abbey ale brewed in the classic íQuadrupelí style of Belgiumís best Abbey Ales. Dark with a full, ivory-colored head. It has a fruity aroma, full of complex flavours and excels because of its long bittersweet finish with a hoppy bite. Worldwide seen as one of the best beers in the world. Itís a very balanced beer, with a full-bodied taste and a perfect equilibrium between malty, bitter, and sweet. One of the original recipes from the days of license-brewing for the Trappist monks of Westvleteren.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
snowden719 (130) - USA - AUG 1, 2006
UPDATED: AUG 6, 2006 Pours dark red, almost purple with a medium off white head. Aroma is a bit yeasty, dark fruits, vanilla, some bread. Flavor is caramely, dark fruits, alcohol. Nice warmth to it. Very smooth, a bit velvty on the palate. Not as good as I was expecting, but still quite nice. Flavor and aroma could be bigger.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
estarrio (19) - Rhode Island, USA - JUL 29, 2006
Poured a dark blood red with an off-white, medium frothy head. Retention is moderate, giving way to full, yet watery lacings. Aroma is malt, flowers and esters. The smells are not as intense as I had anticipated. Well-carbonated, full-bodied brew. Taste is of sweet malt caramel, toffee, vanilla, dark fruits, slightly bitter hops and distinct alcohol presence throughout. The flavors are complex, as a quad should be. I found that it fell slightly short of my high expectations, based on the Trappiste quads.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
jcwattsrugger (11359) - Florida and, New Jersey, USA - JUL 29, 2006
750ml bottle-pours a big fizzy, foamy tan head that laces with hazy red-brown color and effervescence. Aroma is fruit-cherry, sour esters, malt. Taste is medium malt, fruit, sweet, alcohol-in line with 10%abv. Nutty, secondary hops. Good effervescence. Good sipping beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
pythonmets (14) - Charles Town, West Virginia, USA - JUL 27, 2006
From the bottle. Poured with a small tannish head which didnít last very long. Reddish brown color with lots of sediment floating throughout. Aroma was lively and malty. Felt amazing as soon as it hit my mouth, I wanted to keep it there forever! Fruity and bready with faint fruit flavors and a rich, warm finish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
kkarlo (13) - SERBIA - JUL 23, 2006

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
sliffy (2040) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - JUL 22, 2006
Bottle: Mahogany color, thick creamy off white head, with some amazing lacing. Aroma, some fruit, yeast, spice, a little sweetness. Flavor, has a sweetness to it, some dark fruits, a little warming. Lingering spicy bitterness. Really good.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
rayg1 (584) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - JUL 22, 2006
I agree with Tony Banannas I didnít know St, Benardus when I bought it and I bought four different beers and they have all been amazing but this one takes the cake. My only beef was I thought the mouthfeel was a little thin.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
TonyBanannas (36) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 19, 2006
I love these little surprises. I donít know a large variety of brews, and when I bought this I had no clue what it was. I guess itís a plus to being new. I popped it open and pured it without knowing a thing. The aroma widen my eyes and at that point I knew I was in for a treat. Bottle, pours a deep amber brown, with a beautiful, huge, off white head. Aroma is spice, and fruit. Taste of plums, nuts, and raisens. Iím having a hard time describing it with just words. Hows this? Holy Crap, what a brew!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
RagallachMC (631) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - JUL 18, 2006
UPDATED: JUL 30, 2006 Draft. Aroma: Yeast and bread hit me first. Then some dark fruits (mostly prunes and figs), toffee and roasted malt. Peppery spiciness blends alluringly with some floral notes. Appearance: Dark brown with a large creamy tan head. Head lingered long into the tasting. Great lacing. Flavor: Malt sweetnes is the backbone, but lots of flavors are playing along. More dark fruits (raisins this time), toasted nuts, caramel, szechuan peppercorn, and rose-like floral flavors. Palate: Full bodied and creamy. Really enjoyed rolling this one on my tongue. Carbonation high but appropriate. Alcohol warming was gentle and pleasant on the roof and back of my mouth. Overall: An outstanding beer. Full of complex flavors and aromas that challenges the drinker to follow along.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
shp555 (2024) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - JUL 17, 2006
UPDATED: NOV 26, 2006 On Tap: Very dark brown with white lacing. Fruity, spicy smell to it. Wonderful mouth feel; made me just want to roll it around it my mouth. Nice malty flavor with slightly spicey bite which is balanced wonderfully with fruity sweetness. GREAT!