overall
Brewed by St. Bernardus Brouwerij
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Watou, Belgium

RATINGS: 3955   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.15   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
The St. Bernardus Abt 12 is the pride of our stable, the nec plus ultra of our brewery. Abbey ale brewed in the classic ’Quadrupel’ style of Belgium’s best Abbey Ales. Dark with a full, ivory-colored head. It has a fruity aroma, full of complex flavours and excels because of its long bittersweet finish with a hoppy bite. Worldwide seen as one of the best beers in the world. It’s a very balanced beer, with a full-bodied taste and a perfect equilibrium between malty, bitter, and sweet. One of the original recipes from the days of license-brewing for the Trappist monks of Westvleteren.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
MrEcted1 (144) - Wheat Ridge, Colorado, USA - JUN 1, 2006
UPDATED: OCT 5, 2006 One of the best Belgian Quads you can get your hands on. Pours a deep mahogony-brownish color with a very impressive head, pour this one carefully. Very complex and full bodied, dark fruits round this beer out very nicely. Brown sugar definitely present along with other complex fruity flavors such as faint esters. HUGE rocky head that will stick around for the entire drink. This is definitely one of my favorite Belgians, but I do find that the beers vary from batch to batch. I have had some that were so-so in both flavor and appearance (such as head retention) and i have had others that were just out of this world! I am reviewing based on the better batches, which is what you will usually get. This beer definitely gets better with each sip. I like to carefully pour the beer into my glass until I get to the last couple ounces. Then I swirl it and pour the remaining couple ounces into an empty glass and enjoy! It gives it a very tasty nutty characteristic that I just can’t get enough of. I HIGHLY recommend this amazing beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Ratman197 (10538) - Arvada, Colorado, USA - JUN 1, 2006
11.2 oz bottle poured a cloudyreddish brown with a large rocky amber head. Aromas of dark fruit, spices, brown sugar and a hint of bubblegum. Palate was full bodied and smooth. Flavors of dates, raisins, brown sugar and spices with a sweet lingering finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
ElBorracho (472) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAY 29, 2006
On tap at The Map Room. Pours dark brown with amber hues and an off-white head. Dark fruits such as plums, dates, raisins, etc. Some traces of banana also. Everything just seems to be dialed down. The high ABV shows itself a bit more as it warms.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
mckstud2 (3) - USA - MAY 28, 2006 does not count
Excellent brew and I’m generally not one for darker beers. I would reccomend letting it warm after having it both chilled and room temp.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
MagooinPA (100) - Warminster, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 28, 2006
Had this at Monk’s in Philly in the 11.2 bottle. Monks advertised this as being on draft but didn’t have it other than in the bottle. It was as good as advertised. The waitress advised that I let it sit for 15min and her advice paid off. Very complex beer and no harshness from the high alcohol. One of the best beers I ever had. I wish I could try it from the tap!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Beaver (1390) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - MAY 28, 2006
UPDATED: OCT 13, 2006 11.2 oz bottle, best before 7/23/10. Pours a reddish brown with a big fizzy head that quickly dissipates.

The aroma is sweet dark fruits, fusel alcohol and some bitterness. It becomes a bit more pleasant as it warms.

The flavor is some sweet and sugary dark fruit with a lot of belly-warming strong alcohol. As it warms, more fruitiness and a slightly bitter, bready yeastiness comes out to balance the alcohol. The mouthfeel is medium with some harsh carbonation.

Overall, a bit of a disappointment. I let this sit for about 15-20 minutes before starting, but it was still a bit harsh at the beginning. As it warmed, it became much better. You can definitely tell all of this breweries’ beers are related. Decent stuff, but not all that in my book.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
restless7 (104) - Lenexa, Kansas, USA - MAY 27, 2006
UPDATED: FEB 26, 2008 I don’t know about fruity but this brew is spectacular! Rich head and body, extremely subtle alcohol flavor. Gorgeous brew. I’d marry it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
RCL (2030) - Waltham, Massachusetts, USA - MAY 24, 2006
UPDATED: DEC 21, 2006 More malt and fruit aromas and flavors than you will know what to do with. This beer is superb. Go out and buy it. Now. Go. Leave your shoes. Just go.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
GG (2332) - NorCal, California, USA - MAY 22, 2006
This is one of those beers that does live up to the hype. Extraordinary beer here (I know, not really a news flash). Nothing to be said that hasn’t already been stated. Very complex, hides the alcohol very well. It’s simply one of the best made beers out there and if you are lucky enough to land some then you should.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
BigBastard (668) - L.A., California, USA - MAY 22, 2006
Lots of fruit with hints of spice. Super smooth, the ABV is not noticed at all but still leaves a nice warmth in the belly. I can see why this is one of the top beers, excellent.