overall
Brewed by St. Bernardus Brouwerij
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Watou, Belgium

RATINGS: 3630   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.15   EST. CALORIES: 315   ABV: 10.5%
The absolute top quality in the hierarchy of the St. Bernardus beers. It is also the beer with the highest alcohol content (10.50 %). A dark ivory coloured beer with a high fermentation. The show piece of the brewery. Thanks to its soft and unconditionally genuine aroma, the beer can be smoothly tasted. The Abt has a very fruity flavour.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Yankovitch333 (612) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - FEB 15, 2004
Pours a dark earthy brown with a huge fluffy biege head. Aroma is of mild fruit and spice. Nice full and creamy mouthfeel. Dark fruits like plums on the tongue. This was truly a great beer. It was just so smooth and silky. I could drink this beer all day long.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
SlimJimDrinker (115) - Nørrebronx, DENMARK - FEB 15, 2004
Light spice fruit... A Peacocks tail unfolds in your mouth leaving you in a mild state of awe...

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
haddon90 (1384) - Denver, Colorado, USA - FEB 14, 2004
Bottle. Nice aroma. Raisins, sugar, malt, and some spice. Very dominating aroma. Deep dark pour with a lingering head. Wow what a thick flavor. Certainly gets to your palate alright. Spicy, raisins, full bodied. Some malt as well. Overall a really good beer, but maybe a little too heavy. But still mighty tasty!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
ClarkVV (3856) - Allston, Massachusetts, USA - FEB 13, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 10, 2005 BB 2004 bottle. Dull black olive appearance, though much more brown than black, but quite drab. Bottle conditioned. Head is nice and thick, and a light mocha color. Aroma is raisins to the max. Also some sugary malt, brown sugar and some light spice, maybe cinnamon. Alcohol perceptive on the nose, and as I dive in, it’s perceptive on the body as well. Body is full, but not heavily so. More raisins, light, light yeast on the finish, some lightly phenolic candied sugar as well. The sweetness and raisiny/fig flavor seemed a bit too dominant. Mouthfeel was pretty nice, smooth with a tinge of carbonation. I thought Rochefort 10 was much more complex.

On draught January 2005 at Anam Cara Not quite as sweet as I remember, but still a rather sticky, doughy, candy jumbled mess. Some dry notes of spice at the beginning add some balance. My small sample was not enough to change my rating either way.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Sickboy282 (1115) - San Diego, California, USA - FEB 12, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 2, 2008 Pours a creamy(beautiful) deep brown with thin head. Smells of Belgian yeast, dough, brown sugar. Creamy on the palate with a wonderfully sugary and sweet flavor. The alcohol isn’t even noticeable. The bubbles tingle the throat as it goes down. A mild bitterness entices repeat tastes.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
firemedic713 (169) - Palm Bay, Florida, USA - FEB 10, 2004
Sweet dark bread soapy aroma. Light brown head that lasts throughout with a creamy, dark brown color.Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly bitter which I like. My favorite belgian beer so far.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 2/20
hershiser2 (1175) - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA - FEB 1, 2004
Nice deep brown in color, with a good sized rootbeer-like head. When it fades, it laces nicely. I don't get much of a scent... a tiny hint of something, but it's so weak I can't give a good rating here. I don't know if I got a bad bottle or if this is what this beer is supposed to taste like, but it's absolutely awful. Reminds me of eating a banana peel that's been rotting in the trash can for a few days. Finishes with a stronger taste of booze than Ketel One. With the high reviews, I must have a bad one. It's got 4 6 7 notched, though I could only guess what that could possibly mean. It's got a decent mouthfeel, but it sure is hard to keep in my mouth for very long. I'll assume I got a bad one. I've strong beers before that I quite enjoyed... a few with a higher alcohol content. This, whether it's a bad bottle or not, is undrinkable. I'll try it again and rerate if necessary.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
DragonStout (1408) - Pickerington, Ohio, USA - JAN 28, 2004
a nice dark brown brew.This was somewhat sweet with hints of fruit and spices.I felt the alcho; was hidden well to the end.Went down warming my belly up.Overall this was pretty good and would buy it again

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
thegreenrooster (3082) - St.louis, Missouri, USA - JAN 28, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 23, 2004 Pours a deep dark brown color. Nice and heavy flavor of chocolate,yeasty breadyness. The flavor at the back of the throat is fruity and the the alcohol warms as it goes down. A very wonderful beer experience. A bit pricey (about $5 a bottle) but well worth it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
ante (3374) - Stockholm, SWEDEN - JAN 25, 2004
(rating # 400) Cloudy dark brown with a nice white lace. Deeply malty aroma. I can find dark plums, milky chocolate, gooseberry, black currant and toffee. Taste of dried apricots and plums, spices, gooseberries, yaste and alcohol. Long warming and spicy finish.