overall

RATINGS: 74   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.33   EST. CALORIES: 162   ABV: 5.4%
St. George American Brown Ale is the typical American take on a classic English style. This beer exhibits an assertive American hop character overlying a malty richness which lends it a slightly sweet, toasty flavor and aroma. Dark brown in color with a thick tan head our American Brown Ale is a brewed from a full malt base and is well balanced by a spicy/citrusy hop bitterness.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
hopscotch (9037) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - OCT 16, 2006
Bottle... Clear, very dark crimson ale with a small, creamy, beige head. Mild chocolatey, nutty aroma with good toasted notes and just a touch of diacetyl. The flavor is very well-roasted with moderate caramel sweetness and moderate burnt bitterness. Good balance. Medium-bodied and lightly creamy with moderate carbonation. Roasted, nutty, lightly bitter finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
SynergyXJ (510) - Blacksburg, Virginia, USA - OCT 3, 2006
Bottle. Dark pour with small head. Sweet, malty, toasty aroma. Well carbonated, smooth palate. Some toasty flavor, slight caramel. Overall my favorite St. George I’ve had so far.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
beastiefan2k (2404) - Emerald City (formely NYC & KS), Washington, USA - AUG 17, 2006
So I got a package today from Immy, thanks (and yours will come soon, again sorry for the delay). After opening it I had a bunch of St. George beer staring me in the face. So I wanted to pick something middle of the road for tonight b/c I wasn’t sure if I would even rate or drink anything. So the porter was eliminated b/c that had the best chance of being really good for me. The lager was immediately eliminated b/c I really don’t like....ah...I mean... appreciate them enough, yeah that’s right. So it was between the golden and the nut brown. Since I recently tried a Nut Brown Lager, I thought I would create some pattern here. So I put this 12 oz bottle in the fridge for about two hours. While I got some work done mainly I slacked during that time. I took it out and poured it into a Tripel Karmeliet big tulip glass. Why you ask, well a) I don’t like to drink from mugs b) I am moving and I only have three beer glasses not packed, a pint glass, and a Duvel glass and finally c) b/c I love using this glass. Out of the bottle the pour looked very light watery brown. In the glass a bit nicer- a glowing dark amber. No head however, surprising to me, just a bit of lacing around the edge. Fine enough of a color to garnish a three. So one of the reasons I love this glass is that I can stick my big shnoz in there and really get it all in without beer in my nostrils. It’s definitely malty but not in a wea heavy kind of way. Its burnt - too burnt. Slight coffee aspect and wood. Toasty and earthy. But you know it kind of combines to be a bit off putting. I found the Moose Droll (I just like to throw that name in as much as possible) to have a very similar aroma but better combination of those elements. So here is the taste. Its a bit weak for me, a lot of those elements from the aroma are lost, which in this case is actually a good thing. All thats left is a mildly nutty taste or what really is the watered down burnt aspect I mentioned earlier. No bitterness or "spicy/citrusy" aspect but there is a very slight tea-like aspect in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is average. I actually usually enjoy brown ales but this one just doesn’t tickle my fancy. Recently, I had a Nut Brown Lager (Dunkel) from a new label called Kelso and even though that had many similarities I found a lager doing this much more interesting that an ale.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Indra (2604) - Overland Park, Kansas, USA - AUG 9, 2006
12oz. bottle. Sweet, toasty, bready dark malt aroma, notes of nutty toffee and cocoa in the nose along with some light earthiness and a slight fruity hop character. Attractive deep mahogany color, clear, with a lasting, fine, light tan head. Flavor profile features the expected caramel sweetness and dark bready maltiness, but is backed by a solid undercurrent of citric hop flavor and spicy bitterness, finishing with suggestions of licorice and hazelnut. Fairly smooth on the palate with a medium body. Very nicely flavorful take on the style. Thanks to Kinz for all these St. George brews!

gws57 (1274) - Saint Charles, Illinois, USA - JUN 17, 2006
Had this one bottled in Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina. Very nice medium brown pour with a thick tan head, nose of chocolate and cashews, plenty of chocolate and coffee notes in the taste. Nice!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
jb (2162) - Rochester, New York, USA - JUN 17, 2006
Nice looking beer - dark reddish brown, tan head. Aroma of nuts and roasted malted. Can taste and feel the chocolate malt in the palate , adds some depth and the chocolate taste. I liked this one, thanks Ron.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Immy (1955) - Virginia Beach, USA - JUN 5, 2006
12 oz bottle. Mahogany pour with a beige head. Soft, nutty nose, chocolate notes are there. Nice lace. Nutty, slightly sweet flavor with hazelnut undertones. Bitter finish, a bit of chocolate. Solid offering, much better than the Tavern (nut brown).

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
MacDaddyOJake (274) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - MAY 19, 2006
Nice hop character to this beer, but I was surprised by the malt present in the taste. Very rich, a unique brew to say the least. Something about it was slightly off, but I enjoyed it none-the-less.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
ross (2078) - weddington, North Carolina, USA - MAY 15, 2006
Dark pour smells malty and rich. Taste is pretty good actually, the best bunch of my mixed 6 pack from these guys. Went down easy, cracking the next beer after it made me wish I had another one of these. Pretty good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
radagast83 (4524) - Fairfax, Virginia, USA - MAY 3, 2006
Bottle. Nice beer. Nutty, with a caramel flavor. It is okay, very malty, and roasty. Thick, but nice.