overall

RATINGS: 74   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.33   EST. CALORIES: 162   ABV: 5.4%
St. George American Brown Ale is the typical American take on a classic English style. This beer exhibits an assertive American hop character overlying a malty richness which lends it a slightly sweet, toasty flavor and aroma. Dark brown in color with a thick tan head our American Brown Ale is a brewed from a full malt base and is well balanced by a spicy/citrusy hop bitterness.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
alexanderj (3297) - Gilbert, Arizona, USA - NOV 29, 2007
On tap; pretty good tasting beer. Flavor was dominated by a nice combination of chocolate and caramel. Hints of nuts. Color and aroma were as expected. Palate was pretty solid. I would say it is an above average version of the style.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
Kinz (3251) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - MAY 16, 2004
Draft. Virtually no aroma detectable. Medium brown, OK head. Slight vegetal hop bitterness, medium to thinnish malt body without distinctive flavor. Not the best beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
BelgianBeerGal (3102) - Panama City, Florida, USA - NOV 3, 2011
The last bottle I picked up from the brewery and the second of two brown variants. This version was more complex, had a thicker mouthfeel and more roasted notes. Finishes with coffee and baking chocolate. Nice.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Elwood (3022) - Leesburg, Virginia, USA - SEP 12, 2009
Serving: 12 oz. bottle. Appearance: Almost black with small ruby highlights. It has a small, foamy, light tan head. Poor head retention. Aroma: Very nutty with nice roasted notes and even a hint of chocolate. Taste: Definitely on the roasty side, but a little thin on the body. Earthy with hints of mineral and coffee. I didnít get the spicy/citrus hop bitterness they talk about. The flavor isnít bad, but it lacks a punch. Palate: Medium carbonation with a medium, slightly watery mouthfeel. Medium-long, roasty finish. Just kind of meh. Overall: A very average brown ale that is pretty forgettable. You arenít missing anything if you donít have this one.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
bytemesis (2930) - Sunnyvale, California, USA - APR 25, 2012
Bottle. Pours a clear dark brown with a medium tan/light brown head that dissipates quickly with lacing. Aroma is chocolate and a nutty/smoky note. The taste is smokey; much like a porter in body and flavor, with strong nutty malts and a bit of hop bitterness. All in all a good brown ale.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Indra (2591) - Overland Park, Kansas, USA - AUG 9, 2006
12oz. bottle. Sweet, toasty, bready dark malt aroma, notes of nutty toffee and cocoa in the nose along with some light earthiness and a slight fruity hop character. Attractive deep mahogany color, clear, with a lasting, fine, light tan head. Flavor profile features the expected caramel sweetness and dark bready maltiness, but is backed by a solid undercurrent of citric hop flavor and spicy bitterness, finishing with suggestions of licorice and hazelnut. Fairly smooth on the palate with a medium body. Very nicely flavorful take on the style. Thanks to Kinz for all these St. George brews!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
tronraner (2459) - Walland, Tennessee, USA - JAN 27, 2007
Bottle. Pours blackish ruby with sizeable beige head. The aroma is caramel, a hint of licorice, a hint of molasses. The flavor is caramel and burnt sugar, mixed bar nuts, and light syrup. The finish is clean and sweet, with a touch of earthy hops into the aftertaste. Not bad, really.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Ron (2441) - Rochester, New York, USA - OCT 21, 2006
one bottle from my trip to OBX í06í. This beer pours with a small light brown head on a deep brown body with a nut like aroma on malts. Nice nut flavor with a deep bitter finish on a medium body.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
beastiefan2k (2359) - Emerald City (formely NYC & KS), Washington, USA - AUG 17, 2006
So I got a package today from Immy, thanks (and yours will come soon, again sorry for the delay). After opening it I had a bunch of St. George beer staring me in the face. So I wanted to pick something middle of the road for tonight b/c I wasnít sure if I would even rate or drink anything. So the porter was eliminated b/c that had the best chance of being really good for me. The lager was immediately eliminated b/c I really donít like....ah...I mean... appreciate them enough, yeah thatís right. So it was between the golden and the nut brown. Since I recently tried a Nut Brown Lager, I thought I would create some pattern here. So I put this 12 oz bottle in the fridge for about two hours. While I got some work done mainly I slacked during that time. I took it out and poured it into a Tripel Karmeliet big tulip glass. Why you ask, well a) I donít like to drink from mugs b) I am moving and I only have three beer glasses not packed, a pint glass, and a Duvel glass and finally c) b/c I love using this glass. Out of the bottle the pour looked very light watery brown. In the glass a bit nicer- a glowing dark amber. No head however, surprising to me, just a bit of lacing around the edge. Fine enough of a color to garnish a three. So one of the reasons I love this glass is that I can stick my big shnoz in there and really get it all in without beer in my nostrils. Itís definitely malty but not in a wea heavy kind of way. Its burnt - too burnt. Slight coffee aspect and wood. Toasty and earthy. But you know it kind of combines to be a bit off putting. I found the Moose Droll (I just like to throw that name in as much as possible) to have a very similar aroma but better combination of those elements. So here is the taste. Its a bit weak for me, a lot of those elements from the aroma are lost, which in this case is actually a good thing. All thats left is a mildly nutty taste or what really is the watered down burnt aspect I mentioned earlier. No bitterness or "spicy/citrusy" aspect but there is a very slight tea-like aspect in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is average. I actually usually enjoy brown ales but this one just doesnít tickle my fancy. Recently, I had a Nut Brown Lager (Dunkel) from a new label called Kelso and even though that had many similarities I found a lager doing this much more interesting that an ale.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
sneagrams3 (2337) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - APR 12, 2007
12oz bottle. Filtered with a deep ruby brown hue. Syrupy malt y with a cocoa cookie aroma. Medium bodied with smooth malts. Nice bright hop finish. Caramel and cookie malt flavors. Zesty and zippy malts. Medium effervescence. Piney and spicy hops. Touch of that cola nuance. Hint of dark dried fruits. Good toasty flavor. Good stretching dryness. Balnced between the malts and hops. Between the initial palate to the finish, from the sweet to the dry. Enjoyed this brew!