overall

RATINGS: 74   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.33   EST. CALORIES: 162   ABV: 5.4%
St. George American Brown Ale is the typical American take on a classic English style. This beer exhibits an assertive American hop character overlying a malty richness which lends it a slightly sweet, toasty flavor and aroma. Dark brown in color with a thick tan head our American Brown Ale is a brewed from a full malt base and is well balanced by a spicy/citrusy hop bitterness.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
hurleymanvw (101) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - DEC 13, 2004
Dark brown in appearance. Very good aroma. Kinda nutty in tast with a strong malt and chocolate taste. Finished great a very nice drinking beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
slang (654) - Columbia, South Carolina, USA - FEB 3, 2006
bottled. Dark brown w/ very little head. A nice balance of floral hops w/ a heavy malt backbone.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Numenor (871) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - APR 3, 2006
Nice brown body, very good for a Brown Ale. Minimal to zero head in this brew. Very nice aroma, sweet malts and very subtle hops. Body is a bit bitter, somewhat smokey taste is left in the mouth. Ending is roasted malts... in this case though, there’s a bit too much of the "roast". Enjoyable none-the-less.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Optigon (562) - Bloomington, Indiana, USA - AUG 11, 2008
Pours brown with a fine, white head. Aroma is caramel and chocolate. Very crisp. Chocolate and mild coffee flavors abound. mildly spicy aftertaste.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
dpento1 (236) - Virginia, USA - JUL 29, 2010
Pours an amber brown with a moderate tan head. The aroma is roasted malts, nuts, and maybe a little fruit. The body was moderate and little creamy! The flavor is a bit nutty, malty, a little woodsy, and there are some sweet malts right before a mild hop bitter finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
RABinCO (1199) - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA - SEP 6, 2012
Bottle. Pours dark amber with a nice pillow of head that fades slowly to a white halo. Slightly sweet aroma with only a hint of nuttiness. The taste is surprisingly complex with a bit of hoppy bite up front that gives way to a light toasted nut flavor. Very smooth and drinkable.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
MacDaddyOJake (274) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - MAY 19, 2006
Nice hop character to this beer, but I was surprised by the malt present in the taste. Very rich, a unique brew to say the least. Something about it was slightly off, but I enjoyed it none-the-less.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
beastiefan2k (2404) - Emerald City (formely NYC & KS), Washington, USA - AUG 17, 2006
So I got a package today from Immy, thanks (and yours will come soon, again sorry for the delay). After opening it I had a bunch of St. George beer staring me in the face. So I wanted to pick something middle of the road for tonight b/c I wasn’t sure if I would even rate or drink anything. So the porter was eliminated b/c that had the best chance of being really good for me. The lager was immediately eliminated b/c I really don’t like....ah...I mean... appreciate them enough, yeah that’s right. So it was between the golden and the nut brown. Since I recently tried a Nut Brown Lager, I thought I would create some pattern here. So I put this 12 oz bottle in the fridge for about two hours. While I got some work done mainly I slacked during that time. I took it out and poured it into a Tripel Karmeliet big tulip glass. Why you ask, well a) I don’t like to drink from mugs b) I am moving and I only have three beer glasses not packed, a pint glass, and a Duvel glass and finally c) b/c I love using this glass. Out of the bottle the pour looked very light watery brown. In the glass a bit nicer- a glowing dark amber. No head however, surprising to me, just a bit of lacing around the edge. Fine enough of a color to garnish a three. So one of the reasons I love this glass is that I can stick my big shnoz in there and really get it all in without beer in my nostrils. It’s definitely malty but not in a wea heavy kind of way. Its burnt - too burnt. Slight coffee aspect and wood. Toasty and earthy. But you know it kind of combines to be a bit off putting. I found the Moose Droll (I just like to throw that name in as much as possible) to have a very similar aroma but better combination of those elements. So here is the taste. Its a bit weak for me, a lot of those elements from the aroma are lost, which in this case is actually a good thing. All thats left is a mildly nutty taste or what really is the watered down burnt aspect I mentioned earlier. No bitterness or "spicy/citrusy" aspect but there is a very slight tea-like aspect in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is average. I actually usually enjoy brown ales but this one just doesn’t tickle my fancy. Recently, I had a Nut Brown Lager (Dunkel) from a new label called Kelso and even though that had many similarities I found a lager doing this much more interesting that an ale.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
Butters (3745) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - MAY 18, 2008
On draft at Retro’s Good Eats in Colonial Williamsburg. This is a hot dog joint which boasts a "Retro’s Draft Lager" on tap - the only beer they serve. The commercial description is: "Brewed to bring out the best taste of our all Black Angus beef hot dogs, by our friends at St. George’s Brewery" Turns out, it’s just the Brown Ale. Not that great as a stand alone beer, but in all fairness it does complement the hot dogs extremely well. Pours a clear coppery-brown with ample, sustainable light-tan head. Nose of malt and corn. Malty backbone with a nutty flavor and evident spicy hoppiness.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
pottygok (454) - Ohio, USA - DEC 6, 2010
Bottle Aroma: Caramel and Chocolate with a hint of hops. Appearance: Cloudy dark brown, almost opaque, with little head. Could be a bad pour, but what head was there was a creamy tan color. Taste: Medium sweetness with a very light. pleasant bitterness. Palate: Medium body, creamy texture with soft carbonation. Decent finish, no bad aftertaste. Overall: Not a standout beer, but certainly drinkable and enjoyable.