St. Ides High Gravity Malt Liquor

RATINGS: 212   WEIGHTED AVG: 1.64/5   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%
St. Ides High Gravity Premium Malt Liquor is the brand of choice with the new generation of malt liquor drinkers. With its high quality, high strength flavor, St. Ides compliments the lifestyle of the fast paced, urban, edgy malt liquor drinker of today.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 5/20
BeerRenter76 (426) - Texas, USA - SEP 11, 2015
Originally rated on 11/1/07. Ah memories.. quick cheap buzz beer. Taste is about what you expect, not the worst for H.G. malt liquiors.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
Low69caprice (100) - Yucca valley, California, USA - SEP 2, 2015
Huge 24 oz can clear orange lots o bubbles. Alcohol and dry malts. Use this only to get drunk. No real flavor except wheat notes.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
radio_nowhere (1258) - Maryland, USA - AUG 29, 2015
I love a good punishment beer; clear 40oz bottle into pils glass because I’m fancy yo. Bubbly clear pale golden color with ample white head. Aroma notes of grainy pale malt sweetness, corn flakes and faint grape soda; not offensive but not that great. Taste adds more corn bready sweetness almost and faint cardboard-like/grass bitterness. Light-medium body, heavy-moderate carbonation, crisp, tad sticky with light sugary-corny finish. Best drank very cold, best thing I can say is it doesn’t drink like 8.2% ABV. Overall a below average malt liquor.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 6/20
ffbot (132) - Oakland, California, USA - MAY 5, 2015
Finally cracked my 40 of this the other day, after sticking it in the freezer for about 30 minutes. The initial swig is awesome, no damn corny sweetness, but a harsh, coughing bite of flavor. You can taste, smell, hear(?) the alcohol in this street malt. At first the taste was met with my disapproval but after I was 1/4 through this, I fell in love with it. I actually recommend not putting this one in the freezer, fridge temperature is more than adequate. I gave the palate 5 stars, allow me to explain: despite the initial "burn" this beer grew on me really fast, until I loved it. I instantly wanted more. And not just cause I was drunk.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
MacBoost (1605) - Pouring Bus, New York, USA - DEC 5, 2014
UPDATED: SEP 20, 2015 Multiple 22oz bottles of this both recently and back in the day. This shit gets you faded quick. High carb, high boost, big hangover. Very sweet and yet quenching. Buckle up if you’re gonna take this bad boy for a ride...

Just crushed a 40oz of this. Way better than I expected. Although initially a touch sweet, each subsequent sip felt satisfying and refreshing. Would drink this over most imperial IPA’s. Especially at $1.89 for a 40oz.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
Darkmagus82 (2091) - - SEP 29, 2014
Transfer from BA review on 10-14-13- Poured from 40 oz bottle into a pint glass (and then drunk straight from the bottle- as seems most appropriate) Appearance – The beer pours a golden color (as could be seen from the clear bottle) with a one finger of foamy white head. The head fades over a moderate level of time, leaving a great level of streaky lace on the sides of the glass. Smell – The aroma is a mix of corn sweetness and a bit of grainy smells. Along with these aromas is a very light amount of a caramel and herbal smell as well. Taste –The taste begins with a corny and dry bready flavor. Some other light flavors of a grassy nature come to the tongue more toward the middle, with some other flavors of a more cardboard like nature coming to the tongue as well. A bit of a more paper/cardboard flavor coming to the tongue more toward the end, leaving a rather dry and corny, paper flavor on the tongue. Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is quite light for a 8.2 % abv beer with a carbonation that is rather average. The thinner body in conjunction with the moderate to slightly higher carbonation is perfect for the style and makes it a very fast and easy drinker even in light of its slightly off flavor. Overall – A rather average but drinkable malt that gets the job done. Cheap it is, strong it is, and rather fast drinking it is. If this is what you want then I say go for it, but if looking for something with a bit more flavor/complexity then this may not be your choice.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
JStax (4122) - Devola/Marietta, Ohio, USA - AUG 4, 2014
24 ounce can opened with drsilverworm. Pours a clear copper with a small head of foam. The aroma is grape soda, grain, and corn. The taste is overly sweet. Fake and sugary. Medium carbonation. Big body. Ended up dumping the majority of this.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
DrSilverworm (9102) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - AUG 1, 2014
24oz can I bought from a ghetto kroger a little while ago. It’s been sitting in my fridge because everyone I know always resents me when I bring malt liquors to share. But here I am with jstax, we just picked up some wendy’s for the end of the night, and I tell him to pick a beer out of my fridge to pair with our meal... And this is what he picks. Well, shit... No time like the present to rate this thing. Best by on the can is 9/22/14. Paired with a Wendy’s Pretzel Bacon Cheeseburger. Totally clear golden orange color. Thin off-white head, with pretty decent retention. Jstax gave me a pretty foamy pour, but I have to say the lace left behind looks pretty nice. In the nose... Just corn, funk, skunk, and cheap malt liquor grossness. Some malt liquors are surprisingly clean and tasty... This is not one of those. Significantly better in between bites of wendy’s, but still bad. Taste is moderate sweet, light to moderate bitter, bigger bite, light acidic tartness even. Medium to bigger body. Kind of slick texture. Kind of smooth, kind of crisp light to moderate strength carbonation. Not a great malt liquor. I’d say below average. But not out rightly offensive. Still, though, I dumped 85% of my portion. Not worth it. Even a Wendy’s Bacon Pretzel bun burger couldn’t carry this beer.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
Homer321 (2982) - Melboring, Florida, USA - JUN 13, 2014
Bottle via trade. A light peppery and spicy flavor. Kinda hot with some boost. Ok but not good.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 5/20
DrewFace (960) - Melbourne, Florida, USA - JUN 13, 2014
Bottle share thanks to Homer321. Very clear pale orange color. Malty, papery, sweet, rice. Sweet, malty, very corny, flavor.