overall
Style: Abbey Tripel
Melle, Belgium

RATINGS: 314   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.32/5   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Bottle conditioned.
Rich golden colour, fruity aroma and a soft, sweet maltiness. Lively mouthfeel with a finish reminiscent of brut champagne. Brewed under license of the Duinen Monastery by the family owned Huyghe-Melle Brewery.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
Suttree (5882) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - FEB 15, 2003
I like a triple to be fairly dry. This seemed to me like a pale doulbe, I guess. Big malty nose, sweet flavors at the front, finishes sweet. Not to my taste.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Beerhound (16) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - JAN 22, 2003
I first sampled Duinen Tripel at the Great Tucson Beer Festival in October 2002. I was less than impressed with that tasting, and described it as "a Hefeweizen gone bad, with some vodka or rubbing alcohol tossed in." Since it's Belgian, and I really like Belgian beers, I figured I should give it a second chance. The color was light gold and very clear, almost like a glass of pilsner, and there was a fair amount of head. Initially I detected very little aroma, maybe a bit of fruit and bandaid/phenol, and there was a slightly sweet malt taste. As the beer warmed up, the taste and aroma developed nicely and reminded me somewhat of Paulaner Hefeweizen. The alcohol was quite evident, but thankfully the vodka/rubbing alcohol taste I noticed at the beer festival was absent. All in all I'd have to say this beer is much better that I originally thought, but it's not the best tripel I've had. Would I drink it again? Yes, but I'd pass it up for a bottle of Grimbergen or Duval.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
estoppel (1028) - Buffalo, New York, USA - JAN 17, 2003
Sweet fruity nose, medium straw color, medium head. Lots of rising carbonation; a few pieces of hanging black sediment. Fairly thick mouthfeel; pronounced alcohol presence. Sweet finish. Not great.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
jefyou (39) - Menlo Park, California, USA - JAN 15, 2003
Swwet raisin flavor, no head, syrupy, Good not great triple.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
mixamatt (427) - San Francisco, California, USA - JAN 4, 2003
Mild apple,pear,banana aroma.Dark blond appearance with white slimey particles you can feel on your tongue.Flavors of apricots, apples and gummi bears.Mild bitter aftertaste.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
beerslayer (753) - New Jersey, USA - JAN 3, 2003
Not bad nothing special rather have other tripels. Some hop flavor a little sweet and spicy.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
motelpogo (7705) - Plzen, CZECH REPUBLIC - JAN 1, 2003
i´m not much of a huyghe fan but this is probably the best of theirs that i have tried. dried apricot aroma. taste of golden syrup and nutri grain. would be better without nagging huyghe hospital taste

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
goz (358) - Chelmsford, Massachusetts, USA - DEC 28, 2002
Hazy golden pour, white head dimishes quickly. Aroma is soft, with some fruitiness. Flavor is very fruity - apple, pear, banana, peach. As it warms, it gets more vinous and the alcohol starts to show. The tiny bubbled carbonation dances on your tongue on it’s way through.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
grant (842) - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA - DEC 22, 2002
My 100th! Aroma is of banana and peach and a tinge of alcohol. Hazy amber with a thick, quickly dissipating white head. Very carbonated--almost as much as champagne. Malty, orangey, leathery flavor. Coriander and other spices present, but the alcohol is not well hidden. I was expecting a little ’more’ in terms of complexity for the price. RERATE, 12/22/02. I overrated this one.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
vtmobile (43) - Alabama, USA - DEC 7, 2002
Light amber, highly carbonated, nice head and pleasing color. Aroma is of citrus. Presentation is dominated by carbonation and a slightly acidi flavor. The bloom is fruity followed by a slightly bitter palate. The flavor is not as complex as Chimay Bleu or Fin du Monde but a little less fruity and more dominant hops and alcoho. This is a good beer but not the best of the Belgian styles.