overall

RATINGS: 204   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.37   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
A single batch of St. Sebastiaan Grand Réserve is brewed each year. This limited edition release from Brewery Sterkens is brewed with utmost care to be one of the finest beers in the world.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
groovinhigh (170) - Asheville, North Carolina, USA - DEC 21, 2002
Made in small batches. One of the handful of best Belgian Ales. It has a high cost, but is well worth it. Full flavor...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
dins (266) - Texas, USA - NOV 14, 2002
Well done, straightforward, strong belgian. Strong alcohol flavor, some fruit notes. Little head. Dry finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Allseeingeye (223) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - OCT 13, 2002
Sparse head and lace for a Belgian strong ale. Fruity nose, apples, pears?, yeasty. Love the high ABV%, but there are better strong ales out there.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Gusler (2653) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - OCT 11, 2002
The pour a clear deep amber, the head is mediorce, the lace spare, the color off white. Nose is malt, citrus tones, light hints of bubble gum. Front is malt, sweet, the top is medium, the finish is acerbic, dry, the 10% ABV, is felt in the ’Tummy’ and the long lasting alcohol bitter aftertaste. ’Works for me!’, as I like my beers pungent and brawny. Ranks #504 on my current 1000 beer master list.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
scottyg (79) - Gainesville, Florida, USA - AUG 27, 2002
To me, just an alright beer.

AceOfHearts (1374) - Mountain View, California, USA - AUG 11, 2002
Apples in the smell, which follow through into the flavor. Sugary-sweet, complex with alcohol, fruitiness, yestiness. An excellent brew!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Ernest (6031) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - JUL 17, 2002
UPDATED: JUL 30, 2013 Bottle (BB Jan/2018). Head is initially large, frothy, white, mostly lasting. Body is hazy dark yellow. Aroma is lightly to moderately malty (toasted grain), lightly to moderately hoppy (herbs, flowers), lightly yeasty (basement), with light notes of pear syrup, pepper, gum, alcohol. Flavor is moderately to heavily sweet, lightly to moderately acidic, lightly bitter. Finish is lightly to moderately sweet, lightly to moderately acidic, moderately bitter. Medium body, watery/velvety/syrupy texture, lively carbonation, moderately alcoholic. Pretty decent for its size...neither too sweet nor too boozy, and seems clean to me (no fusel notes or huskiness)...not exactly quaffable, but surprisingly close. Mild aroma but it’s pleasant enough with no off notes. Its main weakness is that it plays it too safe and "simple", but that’s preferable to being brash and disjointed by a long shot. Overall better than expected, but admittedly not something I’d ever drink much of. Pretty much along the lines of a tripel, honestly, and better than a vast number that call themselves that.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
TAR (2410) - Lafayette, Colorado, USA - JUN 19, 2002
UPDATED: SEP 5, 2003 Pours with very little foam. Beautiful amber color. The very clean and vinous aroma consists of honey, glazed doughnuts, spicy alcohol, and a blanket of bready malt/yeast? Mouthfeel is moderately full with a surge of alcohol warming my face soonafter. Honeysuckle seems to be the dominant flavor here, followed by an adequate spiciness. This is one of the most delicious Tripel's I have tried, although it lacks the complexity of many others in its class. I do not reduce points, at all, for that. In fact, I like the straightforwardness of this beer. This reminds me of Old Horizontal in both quality and the finish. It seems very strange to me that there are no traces of yeast partcicles in this fine Belgian brew.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
foduck (328) - Denton, Texas, USA - JUN 18, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 8, 2003 Vinuous fruity aroma. Copper-orange color, poured with no head. Tastes a lot like wine. If I didn't know this was beer I would think I was drinking wine. Has a bit of a kick in it that I can feel early on. Slightly bitter, a little apple. Kind of low on interesting flavors though, unimpressive. I think there must be something wrong with my bottle. It never had any head even after warming up and it seemed totally flat. This was truly disappointing because of how much I paid for it. At least I got a new flip-top bottle to use for homebrew.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
TChrome (1399) - Bedford, Texas, USA - MAY 4, 2002
Quite yummy! One thing I can say is that this stuff is going to my head big-time. Aroma is fruity. Pours without a huge head, but maintains heavy lacing throughout. Very tasttty. Very repeatble.