overall
Style: Bičre de Garde
St. Sylvestre-Cappel, France
Serve in Stem glass, Tulip

RATINGS: 741   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.37   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
The 3MONTS beer : A wonderful return to nature, with its flavour of yesteryear, this is a beer that was drawn from the wooden metal-circled barrels to fill so many mugs in our Flanders bars! Its bitterness comes from our hop fields scattered throughout the region. Brewed by infusions, it is an old-fashioned rising beer made with strong and hearty Flemish hops. Fermented using top yeasts, like the barrel brewers of yore and clamped like bonderised barrels.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
pilsnerrogge (2488) - Finspĺng, SWEDEN - OCT 19, 2002
Golden colour. Big head. Pilsener-aroma. Flavour like......well, if is wasn’t for the fancy corked bottle it would be hard to tell this from the avarage Malt liquor! This is my fourth Biere de Garde and I’m yet to be impressed. Guess it’s just not my style.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Linc (737) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - OCT 7, 2002
Very nice in a number of ways, looks fantastic, interesting aroma, feels good going down. But it is perhaps a bit too subtle, vinous, slightly fruity, gets nicer as you get used to it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
softale (188) - Michigan, USA - SEP 23, 2002
My first Biere de Garde. Very much like a Belgian ale. Golden color. Careful pour yielded a pretty decent sized head. Aroma is a bit spicy, musty and hoppy. Balance is maybe just a bit on the sweet side but it is still very good. As it warms a more vinous quality is noticeable. High alcohol content is hidden very well. I’m pretty impressed with this ale.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
duff (5484) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - SEP 21, 2002
Re-rate: well, i am never dissapointed by this brew, robust, yet subtle at the same time, amazingly round palate, bitter, savoury, a regular in my fridge!!! Original rating (well it was actually a re-rate of a original rating) starts here: i’m growing hopelessly addicted this beer. which probably isn’t good for my bank balance. Light gold in colour with little head. Aroma is of oak, malt, wet paint, kerosene and also a vinous smell aswell. Quite a full body, salty, bittter, oaky and vinous flavour. I agree with motelpogo when he mentioned that it tasted like czeck pilsner concentrate, it does on a wierd sort of way. Theres one thing for shore though this beer is awesome, sit back and enjoy.....

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
beerslayer (753) - New Jersey, USA - SEP 15, 2002
Not sure about this one. The first glass I had was fantastic but the more I drank the less I liked it. Not sure if I got a good bottle at first very complex and tastey but after a while the bitterness took over with a strong metalic after taste

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
winkle (476) - Brisbane, AUSTRALIA - AUG 25, 2002
I really enjoyed this beer, nice golden colour, a tight head, beautiful wine like flavour that, for me, was wonderfully balanced. Not for everyone apparently.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
caesar (5056) - Bunnik/Utrecht, NETHERLANDS - AUG 24, 2002
Heavily overrated beer. Yellow pilsener-like color as the picture shows. Nice head. Smell is not very pleasant. Bit pilsener like, a lot of hops. The taste is able to hide the ABV, which is a good thing. Bit sweet, fruity/flowery. Dry palate. I really can’t see why this beer should be worth over 4 or even over 3.5

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
daboskabouter (1470) - Fergus, Ontario, CANADA - AUG 14, 2002
Bright yellow color, frothing, foamy white head. The aroma was of leather and cork. The body tasted of wood, alcohol, and was very maltily sweet. Finishes slightly bitter. Not a bad beer, complex, just not my bag. Maybe a bit sweet.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Volgon (2763) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - JUL 25, 2002
RateBeer Summer (Toronto) ’02: Musty woody aroma, medium yellow color, ends acidic. Felt hearty to drink, although I wouldn’t have guessed 8.5%. A different kind of beer for me, and one that I’ll need to try again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Radek Kliber (6397) - Toronto (Can) Krotoszyn (Pol), POLAND - JUL 21, 2002
It looks impressive but head vanished quiet quick. Earthy-grape (toffee?) flavor. This is another new (for me) style so in future I will be able to understand and appreciate more what up...