overall

RATINGS: 902   WEIGHTED AVG: 1.45   EST. CALORIES: 243   ABV: 8.1%
The two eleven mark, based on the medieval symbol for steel, appears only on Steel Reserve(R) High Gravity lager. We use nearly twice the ingredients of many normal lagers & brew for over twice as long as many quality beers.

0.7
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
daalamar (405) - new albany, Indiana, USA - JUL 19, 2002
Pure rotgut swill. CHEAP stuff that packs a punch. If your broke and want to get drunk this is the way to go.

MrTapeworm99 (13) - Sonora, California, USA - JUL 19, 2002
Nasty metallic syrup taste tries to hide the alcohol. I’d rather taste the alcohol. Pound some $1.49 40s to get hammered good N’ cheap, but you’ll regret it in the morning.

0.8
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
ClarkVV (3863) - Allston, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 16, 2002
this was strange. Very heavy beer, thick alcoholic taste, with a nasty cereal head on it. Dosent taste anywhere near fresh or clean or crisp, but thats no surprise. Gotta love the ABV though. oh yeah, and this had one of the most metallic tastes ive ever tasted in a bottle.

1.1
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
Andrew196 (1091) - Katy, Texas, USA - JUL 9, 2002
Like a low-class hooker...cheap, gave decent head, you wouldnt want anyone to see you with one. (and no, I havent)

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
SmellGood (339) - Memphis, Tennessee, USA - JUL 6, 2002
UPDATED: APR 23, 2005 I got a 6% alcohol version and it is almost watery. There is little flavor. After I tasted it, I forgot I was drinking a beer it is so bland. The 8.1% version at least had a touch of alcohol.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
timbrew99 (1) - Massachusetts, USA - JUL 5, 2002 does not count
Quite possibly the best commercially brewed beer in America today. Joyously malty and smooth on the palate, with just a kiss of hoppiness, this beer is reminiscent of a fine doppelbock or Oktoberfest. Those accustomed to the lifeless character of most mass-produced American beers may find this brew uncustomarily full of body and flavor - but it has everything that you would want in an Ultimate Beer! P.S. If anyone knows where in the Boston area I could get some Steel Reserve, please post and let me know - otherwise I have to travel all the way to the West coast to enjoy some!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
papajijo (22) - USA - JUL 1, 2002
i like this, and let me tell you why. I am not interested in spending all night just trying to finally get drunk, and when it does happen, everyone is already passed out. not my idea of a good time. with this stuff, i cut the process of getting drunk in half, and get to spend more time doing the stupid shit i do when im drunk.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
BrockLandersLS (109) - San Diego, California, USA - JUN 6, 2002
A decent 40 and a fav amongst the college crowd. But for a forty it does have alot of character.

1.1
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 4/20
cathcacr (630) - Oregon, USA - JUN 6, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 26, 2005 How naive I was. I bought this in hopes of attempting to give a serious review, but I then notice its main selling point: 7.5%. And you know what? *This* is what the frat boys should be going after for a cheap drunk! I got a 24 oz’er of this for only $0.99. If that doesn’t do the job cheaply and effectively, I don’t know what does. Otherwise, this is your usual mediocre American Standard lager. Actually, by American Standard standards, it could be above-average. How can Joe Sixpack go wrong with this one given the options? I can feel the alcohol coursing through my body, which may not be the best of warning signs.... Plus, as it warms, the alcohol becomes overpowering enough to make this border on nastiness. Gotta downgrade it a couple points.

(Is this categorized as ’Malt Liquor’? It says ’lager’ on the can, and tastes pretty much like an American Standard. Not having officially had a Malt Liquor before, I wonder. And I gather that allowable ABV differs by state, given the reviews?)

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
balzac99 (2) - USA - MAY 18, 2002 does not count
Only drink it if you want to get drunk. It goes well with pretty much double cheeseburgers. Bang for the buck is a big plus, though.