overall

RATINGS: 915   WEIGHTED AVG: 1.45   EST. CALORIES: 243   ABV: 8.1%
The two eleven mark, based on the medieval symbol for steel, appears only on Steel Reserve(R) High Gravity lager. We use nearly twice the ingredients of many normal lagers & brew for over twice as long as many quality beers.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 7/20
KingPinHead (390) - Des Moines, Washington, USA - JUL 30, 2002
My neighbor and friend Don is a brave soul--he’ll buy any brew that is on sale. He brought a few of these home and served me one before a backyard BBQ...Standard macro-yellow color and fizzy head--aroma a bit medicinal, but it is an indication of its marketable content! The flavor also is astringent: cloying adjunct-laden sweetness lurks beneath everything here...the hops actually can be tasted here, but there is no attempt to balance or blend the constituent flavors. It’s all about the buzz, Baby! Enough said.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
morebier4me (140) - New York, USA - JUL 23, 2002
A drunk’s drink, only when I am desperate.

0.8
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
albert007 (415) - Penobsquis, New Brunswick, CANADA - JUL 23, 2002
Lets just say I sampled this one right after a day of mowing all day in the hot sun, and I barely even finished it.

0.7
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
daalamar (405) - new albany, Indiana, USA - JUL 19, 2002
Pure rotgut swill. CHEAP stuff that packs a punch. If your broke and want to get drunk this is the way to go.

MrTapeworm99 (13) - Sonora, California, USA - JUL 19, 2002
Nasty metallic syrup taste tries to hide the alcohol. I’d rather taste the alcohol. Pound some $1.49 40s to get hammered good N’ cheap, but you’ll regret it in the morning.

0.8
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
ClarkVV (3891) - Allston, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 16, 2002
this was strange. Very heavy beer, thick alcoholic taste, with a nasty cereal head on it. Dosent taste anywhere near fresh or clean or crisp, but thats no surprise. Gotta love the ABV though. oh yeah, and this had one of the most metallic tastes ive ever tasted in a bottle.

1.1
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
Andrew196 (1091) - Katy, Texas, USA - JUL 9, 2002
Like a low-class hooker...cheap, gave decent head, you wouldnt want anyone to see you with one. (and no, I havent)

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
SmellGood (339) - Memphis, Tennessee, USA - JUL 6, 2002
UPDATED: APR 23, 2005 I got a 6% alcohol version and it is almost watery. There is little flavor. After I tasted it, I forgot I was drinking a beer it is so bland. The 8.1% version at least had a touch of alcohol.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
timbrew99 (1) - Massachusetts, USA - JUL 5, 2002 does not count
Quite possibly the best commercially brewed beer in America today. Joyously malty and smooth on the palate, with just a kiss of hoppiness, this beer is reminiscent of a fine doppelbock or Oktoberfest. Those accustomed to the lifeless character of most mass-produced American beers may find this brew uncustomarily full of body and flavor - but it has everything that you would want in an Ultimate Beer! P.S. If anyone knows where in the Boston area I could get some Steel Reserve, please post and let me know - otherwise I have to travel all the way to the West coast to enjoy some!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
papajijo (22) - USA - JUL 1, 2002
i like this, and let me tell you why. I am not interested in spending all night just trying to finally get drunk, and when it does happen, everyone is already passed out. not my idea of a good time. with this stuff, i cut the process of getting drunk in half, and get to spend more time doing the stupid shit i do when im drunk.