overall

RATINGS: 915   WEIGHTED AVG: 1.45   EST. CALORIES: 243   ABV: 8.1%
The two eleven mark, based on the medieval symbol for steel, appears only on Steel Reserve(R) High Gravity lager. We use nearly twice the ingredients of many normal lagers & brew for over twice as long as many quality beers.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
BrockLandersLS (109) - San Diego, California, USA - JUN 6, 2002
A decent 40 and a fav amongst the college crowd. But for a forty it does have alot of character.

1.1
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 4/20
cathcacr (634) - Oregon, USA - JUN 6, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 26, 2005 How naive I was. I bought this in hopes of attempting to give a serious review, but I then notice its main selling point: 7.5%. And you know what? *This* is what the frat boys should be going after for a cheap drunk! I got a 24 ozíer of this for only $0.99. If that doesnít do the job cheaply and effectively, I donít know what does. Otherwise, this is your usual mediocre American Standard lager. Actually, by American Standard standards, it could be above-average. How can Joe Sixpack go wrong with this one given the options? I can feel the alcohol coursing through my body, which may not be the best of warning signs.... Plus, as it warms, the alcohol becomes overpowering enough to make this border on nastiness. Gotta downgrade it a couple points.

(Is this categorized as íMalt Liquorí? It says ílagerí on the can, and tastes pretty much like an American Standard. Not having officially had a Malt Liquor before, I wonder. And I gather that allowable ABV differs by state, given the reviews?)

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
balzac99 (2) - USA - MAY 18, 2002 does not count
Only drink it if you want to get drunk. It goes well with pretty much double cheeseburgers. Bang for the buck is a big plus, though.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
Jfishback13 (275) - Royal Oak, Michigan, USA - MAY 18, 2002
If you need to get drunk, you might want to go into counciling rather than falling back on this. I honestly enjoy 40ís of malt liquor on occassion. I had 3 of OE and one Laser one night. Felt fine. Took one sip of this and wished for death. The flavor is horrible. It has the consistency of watered down syrup. Iíve seen it posted alot, but I would rather drink bumís urine.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
Bolt (117) - Boulder Creek, California, USA - MAY 16, 2002
If you have pocket change and need a beer... this stuff is cheap and does the job. They hid the 8.1% in that thick malt.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
ToadMan (559) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - MAY 11, 2002
Mmmmmm. Malt Liquer.

0.9
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
VTIrishman99 (64) - Virginia, USA - MAY 8, 2002
As a self professed malt liquor expert, I can safely say that this is one of the worst malts Iíve ever drank (choked down). Steel Reserve is just potent. I remember when it first came out down here a few years back, EVERYONE was talking about this beer talking about how bad it would fuck me up. I wasnt 21 yet so I had a friend go scoop me a few, and man, it tasted like ass! It DID live up to the hype and I did get wasted, but you know, its not even all that cheap for a 40... I think its like 2 bucks or so... I dont know who would pick this as a beer of choice unless they smoke crack also.

1.2
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 4/20
bighair (51) - Hamilton, Ohio, USA - MAY 1, 2002
really cheap, really bad, really awful in the morning. if all ya have is $2 though, it can get ya ready to beat down mailboxes and scream a lot

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
bkuzmin99 (20) - Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 1, 2002
This stuff ainít pretty- not like those fancy microbrews, but gets the job done. And at 8.1% and 4.99 a six is a great value!!!

1.2
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 2/20
austinpowers (2826) - New York, New York, USA - APR 29, 2002
Geezus, this was godawful! Worst malt licka Iíve ever tasted.