RATINGS: 958   WEIGHTED AVG: 1.48/5   EST. CALORIES: 243   ABV: 8.1%
The two eleven mark, based on the medieval symbol for steel, appears only on Steel Reserve(R) High Gravity lager. We use nearly twice the ingredients of many normal lagers & brew for over twice as long as many quality beers.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
SmellGood (339) - Memphis, Tennessee, USA - JUL 6, 2002
UPDATED: APR 23, 2005 I got a 6% alcohol version and it is almost watery. There is little flavor. After I tasted it, I forgot I was drinking a beer it is so bland. The 8.1% version at least had a touch of alcohol.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
timbrew99 (1) - Massachusetts, USA - JUL 5, 2002 does not count
Quite possibly the best commercially brewed beer in America today. Joyously malty and smooth on the palate, with just a kiss of hoppiness, this beer is reminiscent of a fine doppelbock or Oktoberfest. Those accustomed to the lifeless character of most mass-produced American beers may find this brew uncustomarily full of body and flavor - but it has everything that you would want in an Ultimate Beer! P.S. If anyone knows where in the Boston area I could get some Steel Reserve, please post and let me know - otherwise I have to travel all the way to the West coast to enjoy some!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
papajijo (22) - USA - JUL 1, 2002
i like this, and let me tell you why. I am not interested in spending all night just trying to finally get drunk, and when it does happen, everyone is already passed out. not my idea of a good time. with this stuff, i cut the process of getting drunk in half, and get to spend more time doing the stupid shit i do when im drunk.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
BrockLandersLS (109) - San Diego, California, USA - JUN 6, 2002
A decent 40 and a fav amongst the college crowd. But for a forty it does have alot of character.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 4/20
cathcacr (644) - Oregon, USA - JUN 6, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 26, 2005 How naive I was. I bought this in hopes of attempting to give a serious review, but I then notice its main selling point: 7.5%. And you know what? *This* is what the frat boys should be going after for a cheap drunk! I got a 24 oz’er of this for only $0.99. If that doesn’t do the job cheaply and effectively, I don’t know what does. Otherwise, this is your usual mediocre American Standard lager. Actually, by American Standard standards, it could be above-average. How can Joe Sixpack go wrong with this one given the options? I can feel the alcohol coursing through my body, which may not be the best of warning signs.... Plus, as it warms, the alcohol becomes overpowering enough to make this border on nastiness. Gotta downgrade it a couple points.

(Is this categorized as ’Malt Liquor’? It says ’lager’ on the can, and tastes pretty much like an American Standard. Not having officially had a Malt Liquor before, I wonder. And I gather that allowable ABV differs by state, given the reviews?)

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
balzac99 (2) - USA - MAY 18, 2002 does not count
Only drink it if you want to get drunk. It goes well with pretty much double cheeseburgers. Bang for the buck is a big plus, though.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
Jfishback13 (275) - Royal Oak, Michigan, USA - MAY 18, 2002
If you need to get drunk, you might want to go into counciling rather than falling back on this. I honestly enjoy 40’s of malt liquor on occassion. I had 3 of OE and one Laser one night. Felt fine. Took one sip of this and wished for death. The flavor is horrible. It has the consistency of watered down syrup. I’ve seen it posted alot, but I would rather drink bum’s urine.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
Bolt (117) - Boulder Creek, California, USA - MAY 16, 2002
If you have pocket change and need a beer... this stuff is cheap and does the job. They hid the 8.1% in that thick malt.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
ToadMan (559) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - MAY 11, 2002
Mmmmmm. Malt Liquer.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
VTIrishman99 (64) - Virginia, USA - MAY 8, 2002
As a self professed malt liquor expert, I can safely say that this is one of the worst malts I’ve ever drank (choked down). Steel Reserve is just potent. I remember when it first came out down here a few years back, EVERYONE was talking about this beer talking about how bad it would fuck me up. I wasnt 21 yet so I had a friend go scoop me a few, and man, it tasted like ass! It DID live up to the hype and I did get wasted, but you know, its not even all that cheap for a 40... I think its like 2 bucks or so... I dont know who would pick this as a beer of choice unless they smoke crack also.