overall
Brewed by Stiegl
Style: Pilsener
Salzburg, Austria

RATINGS: 454   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.84   EST. CALORIES: 147   ABV: 4.9%
A fine, lively type of beer, with a bouquet produced by premium quality Saaz hops to stimulate the senses - that’s Stiegl Pils. 11.6°

LaFinca (6) - state college, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 1, 2011 does not count
I have three favorite Pils: Sly Fox, Palaner Pils, and now I’ve added Stiegl to the list. I can change on a whim but as of this minute I have to rate Stiegl the best of the crop. I seen a lot of bad ratings on this site for this beer but Pils is a delicate beer and depending on the freshness it can be either great or horrible. I have had Sly Fox and Paulaner that were somewhat old but not past their prime and both were very substandard. One had the aroma of smelly socks and the other just seem to have lost its hop flavor. I was fortunate enough to be able to pick some some fresh Stiegl Pils at Pletcher’s in State College, PA and they were giving out free glasses to boot. What a deal. I will say this, on almost every pour, the head was rich and creamy when poured into a clean Stiegl Cup (as they call it) and you have to wait a few minutes for it to die down before you can add anymore. For those who complained about the head, either you had a dirty glass or got some old beer. This is the way German beer used to be until they started to lighten it up and water it down like the Bud’s and Miller’s of the world. Of course, this isn’t a German Beer, but an Austria and perhaps that partially explains why it is so good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
vwsteggie (684) - Paxton, Massachusetts, USA - APR 10, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 28, 2003 Has a golden color refreshing taste and crsip finish. What can I say, it is from the homeland. One of the best Pils that I have ever had.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
DrueDown (2) - Phoenix, Arizona, USA - DEC 5, 2007 does not count
Do pilseners have aromas? This is hands down my favorite pilsener. Sure there are many close seconds, but this is the standard by which I judge all others. Unfortunately it was only imported by the Glunz family in Chicago. Now that I am in AZ, I cannot drink this anymore. However, my first stop whenever I am back in CHI is to the Glunz Bavarian Haus for a couple liters of my golden goddess!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
KurtActor (2) - Salt Lake City, Utah, USA - AUG 5, 2006 does not count
Here’s what a pilsner should taste like. Terrific flavor - bright and fresh. With a depth so many American Pilsner’s are lacking. Full flavored without the hoppiness of a micro-brew pilsner. Great with burgers or steaks - casual or upscale.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Gambrinus61 (1) - USA - DEC 29, 2010 does not count
Clear, perky, hoppy - in a word, the best damn pils I’ve tasted in the USA since 1978. Even the skunky bottle I had later beat the daylights out of anything similar. No kidding. No BS.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
felsenpils (104) - Sacramento, California, USA - MAR 27, 2013
Very nice Pils. Light golden color, good head retention, nice bitter hops flavor. No perceptible aromatic hops, which I like. This is one of the few Pilseners made outside of Germany which really stands up well in the style. More character and hop taste than mainstream German PIlseners like Warsteiner, Beck´s and König. The only problem is that it is not well known outside of Austria and tends to stay on the shelf a long time. So finding a fresh bottle may be a problem.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
xtrabonus99 (2) - NETHERLANDS - FEB 11, 2002 does not count
i like austrian beers but this pils is one of the best

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
duema (3) - -, AUSTRIA - MAR 1, 2002 does not count
best beer of the world

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
crossovert (6927) - Illinois, USA - MAR 15, 2011
This one is a very nice pilsener, better than their green bottle version. It is crisp and nicely balanced between malt and hops.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Koelschtrinker (9999) - Köln (Cologne), GERMANY - JUN 6, 2011
Das Bier startet wie es sich für ein Pils gehört herb, aber auch hopfig. Im Mittelteil kommt ein leicht bitteres Aroma hinzu, dass sich im Abgang deutlich verstärkt. Malzaromen machen sich nur im Abgang breit, werden allerdings von dem deutlich stärkeren bitteren Aroma unterdrückt. Ein recht gutes Massenpils. Test vom 12.5.2006, Gebinde: Glasflasche Noten: 13,12,13,12,9,13 - 12,50