overall

RATINGS: 278   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.55   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
For the first edition of the Stillwater Import Series I traveled to the village of Beerzel, located in the Antwerp province of Belgium. Here I teamed up with brewmaster Jef Goetelen to craft an authentic Belgian version of my liquid interpretation of the Spring season. A recipe originally contrived a few years prior as a collaboration brew with my good friend Paul Kretzer. The base is German barley & wheat, with a touch of Belgian aromatic; accented with grassy hops and an array of spring botanicals (heather, chamomile, lavender, & dandelion). Like a fresh meadow in spring.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Chaneybr (52) - Washington DC, USA - AUG 20, 2013
Reviewed 9-1-10 I had this one on tap at Churchkey in DC by the recommendation of the bartender, who is also into craft beer. I have faith in my fellow beer geeks! Ap: 1.5 inch head, golden brown, with moderate carbonation. Ar: Smells like Chai tea, lemon, and cinnamon - eerily similar to DFH’s "Sah’tea." T: I hope my review is not tainted, but I learned in the middle of my tasting that this beer is a Stillwater product, but was actually brewed in Belgium, and with Belgian yeast. Come to think of it, I do actually notice that: the dark fruit and Belgian yummy "funk." Sweet without being too. Nutmeg? P: Coats the mouth quite a bit, so I might have to ding it for that. O: Like I stated, very much like DFH "Sah’Tea", but with a bit darker plum-like aftertaste. This added to the complexity. No alcohol detected.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
jjgmd (1225) - Coral Springs, Florida, USA - AUG 17, 2013
Bottle at Laser Wolf, Ft. Lauderdale, pours a reddish amber color. Nose is fruity with some nice floral spice. Taste is full of flavor, with a rich bouquet of spices and fruit, including cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Very drinkable, perfectly balanced, and ends sweetly and softly on the palate. Quaff Score 9 / 10

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
haukur (1203) - Reykjavik, ICELAND - AUG 14, 2013
Orange, no head. Chamomile and funk dominate the aroma. Refreshing with a long fruity and floral finish. Well made and interestingly spiced.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
ThirstyBird (1196) - Düsseldorf, GERMANY - AUG 12, 2013
Pours a deep hazy dull orange color with a light tan head. Smell is malt, allspice - quite spicy, perfume. Taste is Malt, allspice, perfume, fruit - ends a little dry. Medium body with active carbonation. Quite sweet w/ too much perfume.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
lusikka (5359) - Tampere, FINLAND - AUG 10, 2013
750 ml bottle.
Pours a beautiful cloudy orange copper colour with a white foamy head. Aroma of kola nut, cinnamon and ginger. Flavour of smooth malts, grassy hops, strong pungent spiciness, tartness, lactic acid and orange juice. Medium bodied, slick mouthfeel and a tart, acidic, citrusy finish. The pungent acidic notes here don’t fit in, but still an interesting and unique beer.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
keanex (1289) - Atco, New Jersey, USA - JUL 30, 2013
The cap is hard to read but it looks like it expired May 9, 2012? I’m not sure.
Appearance: Clear amber body with a dense light tan head that settles into a all covering foamy coating.
Aroma: The aroma is heavy of herbs sort of eucalyptic with a slight malt base showing. Odd, it smells like it should be in an aerosol can.
Taste: Odd, this kind of drinks like a pumpkin spiced beer, hints of clove and cinnamon. Sweet honey flavors with sweet malts with a mild eucalyptus flavor and a bunch of herbs I couldn’t discern unless I read the description. Odd drink for sure.
Palate: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.
Overall: I’m not sure if this is out of date or what, but even fresh I don’t think I would have liked the herb choices. I mostly bought this on brewery name merit and due to the swingtop bottle for homebrewing, at least I’ll enjoy it that way.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Arve_Christian (2736) - Oslo, NORWAY - JUL 15, 2013
On bottle 33 cl. Dark golden color, lots of foam ( 50% gusher). Fruity and floral aromas, well integrated brett, eucalyptus. Medium body &’complexity. Good bitterness, some sweetness- well balanced. Very enjoyable

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
ThisWangsChung (747) - Leonardtown, Maryland, USA - JUN 30, 2013
11.2 oz bottle into a New Belgium goblet. A: Pours a reddish copper color. I like the head on this one: one fingers high, offwhite shade, and superbly creamy. Retention isn’t amazing, though, nor is the body itself that attractive. S: Ridiculously herbal. I won’t go into detail identifying all of the notes, so I’ll just say it smells like some utopian spring day. Allowing it to open up will reveal slight brett touches, as well. T: It’s not as dry as I expected. Wheat malt sweetness (similar to a good dunkel) both opens and closes things - with the herbal qualities sandwiching themselves into the middle. It’s fairly piny, but not in a hop-derived manner. Also sneaking into the back end are some subtle brett notes. There’s a good balance between the spice profile and the malts. If the aroma made me think of spring, the flavor makes me think Christmas for whatever reason. Ah well, good brew. M: The initial sweetness is cleaned up nicely on the finish, replaced by a prickly, lively sensation. I like the sweet/dry balance here: the sweetness simply balances out some of the potential harshness an overly dry finish could have created. Carbonation is very high, but that’s expected from a saison. O: This one doesn’t blow me away, however it’s an easily drinkable brew that’s also mildly complex. I’d gladly drink this again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jstraw (1900) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUN 19, 2013
Murky orange-amber with modest, off-white head, no legs / Fruity, herbaceous nose of citrus & orchard fruit, green herb, caramel, licorice / Medium body, acidic, sweet with some chew, good balance with very light bitterness on the finish / Complex, rich flavors of fresh caramel, orange, herbs (borrowing from above: heather, chamomile, lavender, dandelion), licorice (redundant) / Body seems to cry out for a little more oomph, but really good.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
rumproasts (2588) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - JUN 18, 2013
bottle. amber with small head. Very nice spice and complexity to this. Mild funk, but big flavor.